C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help! Dealer ruined my car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
That's still aggravating...Customers are the only reason why they're in business. Yes, the button is cheezy and lame on the dealership's part, and saying gosh it looks great is another way for them not to take accountability for poor workmanship. It's hard earned money, wasted, plus all the aggravation. What is the dealerships name? IMO, they lost credibility on so many ways. I would still report them to MBUSA.com
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by LSUCounsel
Went to the dealership this morning and while waiting for the General Mgr. to get out of a meeting, two salesmen asked to look at it (apparently my story made the rounds) and all said "Gosh that looks great! We used to install big rocker panel switches." I told them they need to learn their clientele better as all the responses on this forum were with me on how terrible the buttons look.

After trying to get me to trade it in on a 2013 (ah yes, let's throw on another $10k for the dealership), the general manager agreed to pull the OEM panel out of a 2012 and try to wire the heated seats into the OEM panel/buttons. Geez I hope it works. Seems like the only other option they were willing to try was to either give me $500 (no thanks) or wait until they get something in on their lot that I like (meanwhile I suppose I'm racking up miles and cutting the value they'll give me a trade? eesh).

Here's hoping. Taking it in Monday morning to have the work re-done.
Dealers in general aren't too smart about doing these types of retrofits. I'd still seek the help of MBenzNL to give instructions on what to do and perhaps work something out that way. if you can get good instructions from him you can direct the dealer exactly everything they need to do.

The way I see it working out right now is:

Dealer "We tried to hook it up but it doesn't connect properly. Take it or leave it."
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 C300
I tried PM'ing him - apparently he doesn't accept private messages.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM

2023 C300
Correction, I found how to email him - thanks for the advice xxGenericSNxx!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Picture.
GTFO..not acceptable they need to do right by fixing that.

Originally Posted by EuroJDMBenzo
holy ****....reading this i thought you were exaggerating on how bad those buttons were...then i scrolled down...that is horrendous.
I thought so to starting from the OP..but that is not going to fly.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Care to share the name of the dealership? I have my thoughts on who it might be...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Really ****ty situation, but I must confess that I actually laughed out loud when I saw the picture. That switch is just friggin' hilarious!

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
The way I see it working out right now is:

Dealer "We tried to hook it up but it doesn't connect properly. Take it or leave it."
Sounds about right. Or maybe they'll stll offer the $500, too. I don't really see dealerships having guys able to do mild custom work like this. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

Keep us posted on Monday, OP.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
PLEASE tell me that wasn't American Service Center in Arlington.

I really don't get how they couldn't find the car you wanted. Finding a C WITHOUT the premium package is next to impossible. They must have got your car from Florida or an island somewhere.

Hope they fix it and you get to enjoy it! Keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM

C450
Went to the dealership this morning and while waiting for the General Mgr. to get out of a meeting, two salesmen asked to look at it (apparently my story made the rounds) and all said "Gosh that looks great! We used to install big rocker panel switches." I told them they need to learn their clientele better as all the responses on this forum were with me on how terrible the buttons look.

After trying to get me to trade it in on a 2013 (ah yes, let's throw on another $10k for the dealership), the general manager agreed to pull the OEM panel out of a 2012 and try to wire the heated seats into the OEM panel/buttons. Geez I hope it works. Seems like the only other option they were willing to try was to either give me $500 (no thanks) or wait until they get something in on their lot that I like (meanwhile I suppose I'm racking up miles and cutting the value they'll give me a trade? eesh).

Here's hoping. Taking it in Monday morning to have the work re-done.
Most states have a "Consumer Protection Act" providing damages for "unfair" or "deceptive" trade practices, and this seems to fit either; however, as D.C. is not a state, who knows. But, there is a similar FTC rule as I recall-make it sting!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM

2023 C300
Resolution!

A little long...but I figure folks in the DC/Northern VA/Southern MD area might want to know...

Dropped off my C250 yesterday morning to have the heated seats rewired/factory switches installed. As suggested, I contacted MBenzNL and he provided a lot of great insight in how the dealership should have proceeded. The service manager didn't seem to like any of his ideas and two hours later I had a message from the general manager saying if I wanted to swap my car out, they'd make it even and take care of the sales tax for me.

Because I wasn't married to the exterior color (was black) and care more about what's inside, I decided to swap.

The experience was nothing like the purchase. I knew they had a silver C250 and a white C250 that had the right options/miles/price and were 2012s. The silver was being detailed and at the CPO mgr. and dealer first told me the silver didn't exist/there's a computer glitch that makes cars show up online when they don't have them in inventory/etc. When I told them I'd called and seen the car that morning when I dropped off my black C250, they made a big deal about it being detailed and told me I should just take the white one. Ah yes, I'll make a $34k purchase because I can't wait 10 minutes for a car to be dried off. I told them I wasn't making my mind up until I saw both cars and they brought the silver out of the wash bay.

The silver met my approval, but was a few hundred dollars more than my black one had been. I figured why not try to still get an even swap. The dealership wouldn't budge. I was told "this is the advertised price, we don't negotiate." I reminded the dealer that I'd negotiated on my black car for the heated seats and a little off the asking price (call me crazy, but I've always felt funny spending all day haggling...clients don't haggle me for my fees...). The manager replied: This is a different situation, we are doing you a favor because you asked for aftermarket seats and weren't happy. We're trying to accommodate you.

My jaw nearly hit the floor. After reminding him that the dealer promised, in front of my roommate (who was with me again), that it would be factory parts and look factory, the mgr. flatly stated He did not tell you that. He told you it would be all aftermarket. That your car would be taken off site to (something like Car Spa Customs...?) and that they would do the work. We are doing you a favor.

Me = livid.

Knowing that they had me over a barrel...the car with the terrible buttons was technically mine and they could have just told me to sue them if I didn't like the work, I decided to be done with the whole transaction and around 9 o'clock last night walked out with a fully loaded, silver 2012 C250 with ash interior. Maybe I'm a sucker, but the silver/ash combo looks great and I'm very happy with the end result...even if it did cost me a little more than I'd originally planned on spending.

Went back this morning to pick up a few things out of my black C250 (which was still sitting outside the service bays with the terrible buttons) and was chatting with the service department's asst. mgr. His exact words to me: These dealers always over-promise. You're not the first customer to complain about something that was supposed to be done to their car that we couldn't do.

I don't mind saying now that everything is done that the dealership was Mercedes Benz of Alexandria, Virginia on Pickett, and that only the general manager - Jim Stohlman and the finance manager - Debbie, were great to deal with. Everyone else in the transaction led me to the conclusion that today was the last time I step foot inside that dealership. They lost a customer for life.

Last edited by LSUCounsel; 01-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
I hope you share this with other customers via yelp. These are experiences worth reading about. Glad it worked out for you in the end.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
wow...well im glad you got the car you wanted!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM

2013 C350 Coupe
I'm glad in the end you got something you like even if it was a bit more. I almost bought my car from MB of Alexandria and from your story I am glad I didn't go with them!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM

C450
A little long...but I figure folks in the DC/Northern VA/Southern MD area might want to know...

Dropped off my C250 yesterday morning to have the heated seats rewired/factory switches installed. As suggested, I contacted MBenzNL and he provided a lot of great insight in how the dealership should have proceeded. The service manager didn't seem to like any of his ideas and two hours later I had a message from the general manager saying if I wanted to swap my car out, they'd make it even and take care of the sales tax for me.

Because I wasn't married to the exterior color (was black) and care more about what's inside, I decided to swap.

The experience was nothing like the purchase. I knew they had a silver C250 and a white C250 that had the right options/miles/price and were 2012s. The silver was being detailed and at the CPO mgr. and dealer first told me the silver didn't exist/there's a computer glitch that makes cars show up online when they don't have them in inventory/etc. When I told them I'd called and seen the car that morning when I dropped off my black C250, they made a big deal about it being detailed and told me I should just take the white one. Ah yes, I'll make a $34k purchase because I can't wait 10 minutes for a car to be dried off. I told them I wasn't making my mind up until I saw both cars and they brought the silver out of the wash bay.

The silver met my approval, but was a few hundred dollars more than my black one had been. I figured why not try to still get an even swap. The dealership wouldn't budge. I was told "this is the advertised price, we don't negotiate." I reminded the dealer that I'd negotiated on my black car for the heated seats and a little off the asking price (call me crazy, but I've always felt funny spending all day haggling...clients don't haggle me for my fees...). The manager replied: This is a different situation, we are doing you a favor because you asked for aftermarket seats and weren't happy. We're trying to accommodate you.

My jaw nearly hit the floor. After reminding him that the dealer promised, in front of my roommate (who was with me again), that it would be factory parts and look factory, the mgr. flatly stated He did not tell you that. He told you it would be all aftermarket. That your car would be taken off site to (something like Car Spa Customs...?) and that they would do the work. We are doing you a favor.

Me = livid.

Knowing that they had me over a barrel...the car with the terrible buttons was technically mine and they could have just told me to sue them if I didn't like the work, I decided to be done with the whole transaction and around 9 o'clock last night walked out with a fully loaded, silver 2012 C250 with ash interior. Maybe I'm a sucker, but the silver/ash combo looks great and I'm very happy with the end result...even if it did cost me a little more than I'd originally planned on spending.

Went back this morning to pick up a few things out of my black C250 (which was still sitting outside the service bays with the terrible buttons) and was chatting with the service department's asst. mgr. His exact words to me: These dealers always over-promise. You're not the first costumer to complain about something that was supposed to be done to their car that we couldn't do.

I don't mind saying now that everything is done that the dealership was Mercedes Benz of Alexandria, Virginia on Pickett, and that only the general manager - Jim Stohlman and the finance manager - Debbie, were great to deal with. Everyone else in the transaction led me to the conclusion that today was the last time I step foot inside that dealership. They lost a customer for life.
This, of course, is the problem with an egg-sucking dog: once it has a taste, there is no cure.

You are well rid of that bunch of scum!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Congratulations! That's a gorgeous color combination.

If I can offer some advice - get yourself a bottle of something like Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner Spray and keep the seats clean. I've found that dye from jeans/belts/such will transfer to the ash really easily - this stuff makes quick work of keeping it clean.

Best of luck to you, and like I said in my PM - it's a bit of a haul, but EuroMotorCars Germantown is top notch when it comes to sales and service.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM

2013 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Congratulations! That's a gorgeous color combination.

If I can offer some advice - get yourself a bottle of something like Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner Spray and keep the seats clean. I've found that dye from jeans/belts/such will transfer to the ash really easily - this stuff makes quick work of keeping it clean.

Best of luck to you, and like I said in my PM - it's a bit of a haul, but EuroMotorCars Germantown is top notch when it comes to sales and service.
EuroMotors Germantown is where I bought my car! So far they have been great.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
So they would of swapped you the white car for equal?

How muche extra was the silver one?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM

2023 C300
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
So they would of swapped you the white car for equal?

How muche extra was the silver one?
Yeah the white C250 was an equal swap...the silver was $500 more.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM

2013 C350 Coupe
Yeah the white C250 was an equal swap...the silver was $500 more.
Is the silver one and your black one similarly optioned? Besides the silver one having heated seats.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM

2023 C300
Originally Posted by NauticaX
Is the silver one and your black one similarly optioned? Besides the silver one having heated seats.
Silver had 3500 more miles (for a total of 14k) but had the premium package, so I got heated seats, memory seats, Harmon/Kardon, etc. Everything but the premium package was the same.

I'm happy with the swap, just hated the way everything went down and constant feeling that I was a nuisance, my expectations were unreal, it was my fault for asking for heated seats, etc. This was my third trip to a dealership (Ford and Jeep being the previous two) for me and not my first time in an MB dealership (parents have driven Es and Ms)...and it was the worst I've ever dealt with.

Still...there are worse things in life than walking out to a beautiful Mercedes in my garage every day.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
lol @ the "Sir, this is Mercedes we dont do things cheaply". You should definitely get what was promised to you.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM

2008 C350
I need pics of this new silver car. The wacked out heating button and idot dealer hooked me on this thread, now I need to see the final goods plz
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM

2012 C350
Glad to hear they resolved everything for you, man. Now, I just feel bad for the guy who's gonna end up with your black C thinking he has factory heated seats.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Silver had 3500 more miles (for a total of 14k) but had the premium package, so I got heated seats, memory seats, Harmon/Kardon, etc. Everything but the premium package was the same.

I'm happy with the swap, just hated the way everything went down and constant feeling that I was a nuisance, my expectations were unreal, it was my fault for asking for heated seats, etc. This was my third trip to a dealership (Ford and Jeep being the previous two) for me and not my first time in an MB dealership (parents have driven Es and Ms)...and it was the worst I've ever dealt with.

Still...there are worse things in life than walking out to a beautiful Mercedes in my garage every day.
Glad you got it worked out, but two things glaring.

1. You said "they have lost a customer for life". How many times has this happened or will happen at dealers? For example, so many customers were getting ripped off at Mercedes South, many of them ran to RBM or indy places.

What happened to being decent and customer service?

2. The experience of buying a car was ruined. Sure, we move on but that lasting impression stays. For instance, I NEVER buy MB's from MB dealers, the experience and way I was treated was horrible. I hate it when people speak to me in a condescending manner at dealerships, like you are doing me a favor. Bow done to the dealer!

Without customers, the dealership (or any other business) fails.

Originally Posted by MishaDesigns
lol @ the "Sir, this is Mercedes we dont do things cheaply". You should definitely get what was promised to you.
The irony of the statement is beyond reproach, they gave him some cheap, horrible looking buttons.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Congrats on the silver.

I would have loved to have ASH interior, but the ASH as configured in the Luxury model (the one I preferred) comes with gray/ash carpets. ASH in Sport models is only ASH seats and door inserts, right? Black carpets and black roof. Looks nicer.

Now you can get out there and enjoy it (now with a warm "ash" from the factory!). I crack myself up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Dealer ruined my car!