C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

TPMS "Rebuilt Kit"... not a scam after all

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
TPMS "Rebuilt Kit"... not a scam after all

Every time I purchased new tires, the store would charge me for four TPMS Rebuild Kits, which is nothing more than a new grommet/washer and nut IIRC. Even though they are only $7.50ea or something like that, I always gave the mgr (known him for years) a hard time that they were nickel'n'diming consumers now that they can't charge for valve stems due to TPMS.
Well, today I had to eat my words. Over the last couple days, one of my tires was losing ~12psi every 8hrs or so. I removed the wheel last night expecting to find a nail, but found none.
Dropped by America's Tire today and turns out air was leaking at the stem due to the grommet being corroded. The tech installed a new kit and all is well. Humble pie tastes good...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Doanster
Every time I purchased new tires, the store would charge me for four TPMS Rebuild Kits, which is nothing more than a new grommet/washer and nut IIRC. Even though they are only $7.50ea or something like that, I always gave the mgr (known him for years) a hard time that they were nickel'n'diming consumers now that they can't charge for valve stems due to TPMS.
Well, today I had to eat my words. Over the last couple days, one of my tires was losing ~12psi every 8hrs or so. I removed the wheel last night expecting to find a nail, but found none.
Dropped by America's Tire today and turns out air was leaking at the stem due to the grommet being corroded. The tech installed a new kit and all is well. Humble pie tastes good...
What was the cost? My dealer replaced one of mine last month and the cost was about thirty bucks. And it's still leaking.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
Free. I bought the tires from them so this is basically just a flat repair. Un-mount the tire, remove the old retaining nut and grommet, install new ones, re-mount/balance. Out in 30mins.
If yours is still leaking, they should replace again at no charge, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
RLE are you going to Seattle MB or Barrier?