C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is 328xi really that much better than C300?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic
Is 328xi really that much better than C300?

Hi everyone,

Just want to ask your opinion if/why the new 328xi is considered a much better vehicle than 2013 C300? I feel I am missing something...

Everywhere I look, there are reviews with 328xi winning by a mile. Actually, let me take it back - every single review notices significant BMW shortcoming over competitors yet at the end it always wins. I sense a hand of BMW marketing team ;-))))

I recently was on the market for a new sedan or a small cross over and I extensively drove 328xi, G37, A4, S60 (yes, S60!), EX, Q5, X1 and X3. All these were very good cars but none of those actually "clicked". I can explain why for each one if you are interested, but my experience is pretty much in line with what you can see in any of the reviews you find online. All but 328xi.

The new 328xi is a good car. A very good car. However, it is a computer on wheels. You see and feel it from the moment you get in. There is not enough"synergy" between the tiers, chassis, engine and the steering. I drove it in the recent snow storm in Toronto and it did very poorly, I felt very uncomfortable. A4 did much better on the same day. Good weather highway was good but not "mind blowing" as you can read online.

The design someone can call minimalistic, but it is simply cheap. Same goes to X1/X3 28i. No, adding a big screen on a dashboard does not make it cool. No, having your car manual available electronically on that screen does not make it cool either. The joystick with 6 or 8 buttons is very confusing...

It is also NOT a sport car. Neither of these cars are actually. Well, G37 may be a bit closer but with all the interior lights and buttons I think Infinity is shooting for an entry level space craft category rather than a car. ;-))))

I guess the main reason people are so existed about BMW is because of the brand. BMW is considered cool and aggressive. None of the other brands are. I can't think of anything else. It actually reminds me of Apple (which I love dearly) vs the rest of the world - we are ready to forgive all the shortcoming just for the sake of the brand.

Just to be clear - I am not anti BMW. I drove X5 for 4 years and that car was decent. I loved it. BMW was the first place I went this time and I tried hard to convince myself 328xi was the car to buy. MB was never on the list. Dropped by just to complete my test drive list before going to BMW and bought one the next day. Only second week, but very very happy.

So, back to my question. Are there any real advantages of BMW 328xi vs MB C300 apart from pure emotions? What am I missing?

P.S. There should be a reason why BMW is moving from V6 3L -> V4 2L turbo while MB goes the opposite 3L -> 3.5L. Does anyone know why MB is not jumping on fuel economy trend? Not willing to compromise performance?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
328i is compared to c250 not c300 (i4 vs i4)

As for 328xi...c250 does not have a AWD answer.

It all comes down to what you want. Bmw is a faster car with more performance mods later on. On the other hand c class is a solid car with less issues later on.

I see you're in Canada as well. Get the S4 it owns 335xi and puts a big smile on your face. It has 3 differential so much better in snow and performance wise

Last edited by snowmuch; 02-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM

2013 C300 4Matic
I had a very similar experience. Was in the market for a new sports sedan and was convinced I will end up with a 328xi...until I actually test drove one. I think the F30 is a step back for BMW. Sure the new engine is more fuel efficient and packs decent power but I preferred the E90 drive so much more. And the interior of the F30 to me is a joke. The screen set up is awkward and the whole cupholder/dash situation doesnt flow. You def dont get that "feeling" staring at the BMW interior than you do staring at that MB steering wheel. I think somewhere in the w204 cycle, the C300 overtook the 328xi but the reviewers failed to see the massive improvements in the facelifted models. And im strictly talking about the c300 vs 328xi since this is the only AWD comparison we have at the moment.

Originally Posted by snowmuch

As for 328xi...c250 does not have a AWD answer.

It all comes down to what you want. Bmw is a faster car with more performance mods later on. On the other hand c class is a solid car with less issues later on.

I see you're in Canada as well. Get the S4 it owns 335xi and puts a big smile on your face. It has 3 differential so much better in snow and performance wise
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Palladium Silver
Not sure about the new 3 Series, but (sorry folks) I traded a 2008 328i for my C300 and I can't wait to go back to BMW. They handle way better, get far better gas mileage (even though the MPG is rated the same), feel a heck of a lot faster, even though the horsepower is basically the same. I have squeaks and rattles and what bothers me most is all the problems MB owners on this site have - transmissions, lights, etc. I never had a single problem with the Bimmer. If you go to their blogs, you'll see the only issue ever have is the High Performance Fuel Pump in the 335 (that BMW has recalled and fixed). I'm trying to love my Mercedes, but I unfortunately have to admit that the BMW is a far better, more reliable car.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by OCDBenz
Not sure about the new 3 Series, but (sorry folks) I traded a 2008 328i for my C300 and I can't wait to go back to BMW. They handle way better, get far better gas mileage (even though the MPG is rated the same), feel a heck of a lot faster, even though the horsepower is basically the same. I have squeaks and rattles and what bothers me most is all the problems MB owners on this site have - transmissions, lights, etc. I never had a single problem with the Bimmer. If you go to their blogs, you'll see the only issue ever have is the High Performance Fuel Pump in the 335 (that BMW has recalled and fixed). I'm trying to love my Mercedes, but I unfortunately have to admit that the BMW is a far better, more reliable car.
Yes, I agree with the squeaks. This car has many squeaks and rattles, but one thing that it does have an edge over is reliability. I see you think BMW is reliable but I have seen so many rants on BMW forums and even experience with BMW customers about how unreliable these cars are. But who knows, maybe they got a bad one, or you got a good one.
Safety is something that I have yet to really look into on BMW's, but I did research up on it before posting this. Mercedes Benz is very dedicated to safety compared to BMW. Mercedes are very safe cars, and I can speak out of experience. When my accident happened in my C300, the whole suspension was replaced in the top left corner, cracked brake rotors, three new wheels, two new doors, new fender, new radiator, even a new subframe. What injuries did I have? Absolutely none, not even an ache or a soreness. This really showed how impressive this car is safety-wise.

Just my opinion on things. If you enjoy a BMW though, that's what you enjoy. Nothing should hold you back from driving the car you enjoy the most.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
When you're in your 4 year factory warranty, find a good dealer and get those squeaks eliminated. Maybe they will only fix 2 of the 5 the first time, but next time you go in, have them look at the others again if they still bother you. Don't waste time though, 4 years goes faster than you think and extended warranties (even MB's) doesn't cover noises/rattles unless something is actually broken causing it.

I find BMWs do handle better, but there is a great solid feeling to a Mercedes. I recently had the last 3 Series (before the new generation) for a rental. It was a bit better handler than the C Class, but it didn't feel overall like a "better," car. Nevertheless, I would still consider BMW in the future, I am not a hater.

You also have to remember, if on car to car (similar class car) BMW often wins on handling, it doesn't mean Mercedes aren't still great to drive and better than some. I have rental cars regularly, and I almost never have a car as enjoyable to drive as my cars.

The 2013 C300 4MATIC is great with the 3.5 liter engine. Power delivery is smooth and predictable. For the most luxury feeling 4Matic experience, I think a nice 3.5 liter V6 is preferable.

To the original poster, so did you buy a car? Did you choose a C300 4Matic, or?

Most reviews have BMW win in the end because car reviewers tend to put things down to handling/feel in normal driving. When switching between great new cars like this, it's easy to have your mind focus on the handling, it's the fun bit. They aren't driving it for their stressful commute, they're having fun with it, in those cases you focus more on handling in your mind/review.

Furthermore, as another post mentioned, you don't tend to see reviews of the newest C300 4Matic much. Reviews focus on the C250 RWD.

Last edited by mac911; 03-01-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 AM

2010 c300/2008 335i
Coming from a BMW guy, yes the 328 is better then the c300. By miles? No, but it is better in virtually all aspects. I have a 335i and the difference from the c300 is night and day. I still enjoy both cars none the less
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
I think it really comes down to what you like. I test drove 328x, G37, A4, C250, C350, and E350 before I decided on C300 Lux. I also own a Bimmer X5 and used to have an A4.

I am not a fast driver. For me, driving is about overall comfort. Yes, it is true that 328x handles better than C300, but it lacks C300 Lux significantly on smoothness, quietness, and the luxury feel.

I used to like my Bimmer X5 equally with the C300. But after 1 year, I am now very reluctant to touch X5 (it is still a very good SUV though). With the C300 running the way it runs, my wife and I are starting to show a bit regret that we purchased X5. When you are in C300, you feel so much into it (also because of its compact size). It is smooth and sometimes you don't feel like to step hard on the pedal to break the smoothness. The greatest feeling comes when I drive home on freeway after golf or tennis.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM

C300 4matic
Originally Posted by MB1121
I had a very similar experience. Was in the market for a new sports sedan and was convinced I will end up with a 328xi...until I actually test drove one. I think the F30 is a step back for BMW. Sure the new engine is more fuel efficient and packs decent power but I preferred the E90 drive so much more. And the interior of the F30 to me is a joke. The screen set up is awkward and the whole cupholder/dash situation doesnt flow. You def dont get that "feeling" staring at the BMW interior than you do staring at that MB steering wheel. I think somewhere in the w204 cycle, the C300 overtook the 328xi but the reviewers failed to see the massive improvements in the facelifted models. And im strictly talking about the c300 vs 328xi since this is the only AWD comparison we have at the moment.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about the NEW 328 BMW. It simply does not flow, does not connect... ;-)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

C300 4matic
I ended up with C300 4matic - had to go with 4matic since I am in Canada + it was a "free" upgrade anyway. February is a good month to buy/lease here - lots of incentives.

Actually, BMW was very aggressive these days from price perspective. They were willing to sell almost at cost in addition to all the incentives such as $1500 cash back, free W&T package. They've also dropped the lease rate mid month due to extremely poor sales numbers as I found out. I ended up paying way more for MB that I would for BMW :-))))
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM

C300 4matic
I want to respond to some comments about BMW reliability. May be it is due to Canadian weather, but I have 5 friends with BMW and all of them constantly have issues with the vehicles.

Two folks with 328xi and with a 7 series (!) had to go for a major transmission repair after 40K not counting endless minor issues here and there. I personally had to go back to dealership 3-4 times a year for minor but very annoying 1-2 days repairs with my X5. Like water leaks due to loose drain tube or constantly dying break lights due to computer "checking" if the light is functional and slowly burning out the connectors.

At some point I ended up with a VP of the dealership complaining about the quality of the car. He was a nice guy and told me that this is common, the car is complex with lots of electronics - it breaks. He said he was in the same boat with his X5. The other very disturbing thing he told me was - "if you want the car that does not break, by Lexus. My wife has one and it is perfect". I actually did. Have it for 3 year now and have to admit he was right. Just do not pressure wash it in Canada when it is below -10 C, the breaks will freeze ;-)

I have no clue what MB's reliability is going to be but I am willing to give it a try.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM

C300 4matic
Not sure about the new 3 Series, but (sorry folks) I traded a 2008 328i for my C300 and I can't wait to go back to BMW. They handle way better...
I totally agree with you if we are talking about the previous generation. Test drive the new one. Steering is not the same any longer. Engine response is not the same either. The gear shift with almost a button now combined with a big screen on a dashboard makes me feel like I am sitting in front of a laptop.

I have Lexus RX350 which is a great family car but it is nothing more than a couch on wheels. Very comfortable, reliable, functional, good for a quiet and relaxed family driving. I was really surprised to notice that after NEW 328 test drives it felt really good to be back in my RX350. With the prev 328 model I felt BMW superiority for sure. Like day and night. BTW, when I switched from my X5 to RX350 I was crying at night for weeks ;-)))))
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Palladium Silver
Sorry if I offended any MB owners. I will agree that as far as luxury goes, MB beats BMW hands-down (at least C300 v 3 Series). I have only had my C300 for a few months. I plan on doing some light mods (tint, spoiler, maybe some AMG-style rims; already did the quad exhaust tips). I think I'll learn to love it. I can't go back to BMW anyway - my license plate is L8R BMW. I'll never be welcomed again!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
Originally Posted by MB_C300_4Matic
BTW, when I switched from my X5 to RX350 I was crying at night for weeks ;-)))))
I am actually thinking about trading in my X5 for a RX350. I did test drive RX350 before we made the purchase of X5 in early 2011. I liked RX350 better, but wife believed in BMW brand as Toyota/Lexus was in a reputation crisis on brake issues around that time.

What aspects do you think X5 is that better than RX350, and why you made the switching? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM

C300 4matic
Originally Posted by kev10
I am actually thinking about trading in my X5 for a RX350. I did test drive RX350 before we made the purchase of X5 in early 2011. I liked RX350 better, but wife believed in BMW brand as Toyota/Lexus was in a reputation crisis on brake issues around that time.

What aspects do you think X5 is that better than RX350, and why you made the switching? Thanks!
Practicality. I have two kids and we go on long trips several times a year hence I need trunk space without sacrificing convenience of the back seats. RX350 if perfect for that. Rear seats are adjustable and can give more/less cargo space depending on the load. There are also several small things here and there that make your life easier. Lexus cares about all the passengers while BMW focuses on the driver only.

I also notice that on 600-700 km non-stop trips in Lexus you do not feel tired at all. As long as you have something to entertain you such as an audio book, you won't feel a thing. X5 is a different story - both me and my "crew" would beg for a stretch stop after 300 - 350 km.

X5 driver experience is much better though from my perspective. At least it was on 2004 model I had. It is like you feel what the car can do. In Lexus you have no clue. It does all the same as X5 and may be even better, but you have no clue if it will. You have to trust. It never failed me and I drove it in heavy snow, rain, ice, off road including with two canoes on the roof (Canada, ehh!). But you have to trust it, like you would have to trust a driver. I personally prefer to be in control.

I would say that BMW is focusing in driver experience while Lexus is focusing on driver isolation. Both do an excellent job though in what they are focusing on.

Having said all of that, my lease is up next year and I am very tempted to get another RX350. It just they didn't update the model since last time...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by snowmuch

As for 328xi...c250 does not have a AWD answer ......
I think most would agree that a shopper for a new car is not compelled to just include turbos, or not include turbos.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Hi everyone,

Just want to ask your opinion if/why the new 328xi is considered a much better vehicle than 2013 C300? I feel I am missing something...

The new 328xi is a good car. A very good car. However, it is a computer on wheels. You see and feel it from the moment you get in. There is not enough"synergy" between the tiers, chassis, engine and the steering. I drove it in the recent snow storm in Toronto and it did very poorly, I felt very uncomfortable. A4 did much better on the same day. Good weather highway was good but not "mind blowing" as you can read online.....
BMW has typically had a sportier suspension than others, esp MB. I think that and the very torquey engine help push it up front on the reviews:

BMW 255 ft-lbs from 1250 to 4800 rpm
MB -- 251 ft-lbs from 3500 to 4500 rpm

One magazine has rated the BMW 3 Series the best in group or top 10 sedans, 10 years in a row, so yes there could be some bias baggage in some reviewers.

Regarding your winter performance, the very high low end torque may have been tricky to control. The Audi may have some AWD experience advantage, but the XDrive is impressive on paper. It really could be an issue of tire brand and tire size. The X-Drive uses a wet clutch on the rear drive shaft to determine how much to change the basic ~40/60 rear bias. BMW X-Drive:

It is also NOT a sport car. Neither of these cars are actually. Well, G37 may be a bit closer but with all the interior lights and buttons I think Infinity is shooting for an entry level space craft category rather than a car.....

Just to be clear - I am not anti BMW. I drove X5 for 4 years and that car was decent. I loved it. BMW was the first place I went this time and I tried hard to convince myself 328xi was the car to buy. MB was never on the list. Dropped by just to complete my test drive list before going to BMW and bought one the next day. Only second week, but very very happy.
No, the 2 sedan cars discussed are not sports cars, nor is the A4. The three makes have special lines for their sport sedans: BMW M series, Audi S series, and MB AMG ... although I think it is or was outsourced for AMG status.

So, back to my question. Are there any real advantages of BMW 328xi vs MB C300 apart from pure emotions? What am I missing?

P.S. There should be a reason why BMW is moving from V6 3L -> V4 2L turbo while MB goes the opposite 3L -> 3.5L. Does anyone know why MB is not jumping on fuel economy trend? Not willing to compromise performance?
You may be missing the 8-speed atx, a firmer ride (unless you got a sport model), and the low end torque from the turbo. But you may not miss any lag issues with the turbo, and the added confusion for the car to control boost, the trans, and the engine with different ecu's.

As far as why MB offered the bigger 3.5 engine in the 300 4MATIC, it does take some power if you are accelerating in deep snow, for one thing. But for the real answer I ask you, which car did you buy among all the others?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM

2013 c-class
Test drove 328 before purchasing Merc and didn't really like it at all. Interior felt cheap. Newer models are ugly.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The MB is more reliable, and in my case, comes with a well-established excellent dealer, has a more attractive interior, and may have an edge in structural performance in impact. Yet, I am considering the 4 Series Gran Coupe in about a year or so. Other than leaving MB due to their dropping manual trans, there is something about how a BMW feels in the smoothness and linear acceleration (due to their nice torque curves and engine NVH tuning), and the steering/chassis performance and feedback. If those don't make it to the top of the list for you, or you don't feel those differences, there is no reason to go there. But, I really enjoy and prioritize those sensations. I can completely feel the difference between my C and my son's 328i, and I like his better for those qualities, enough that the interior and exterior design subtleties become irrelevant to me. OTOH, his has been in for repairs for a total of 3 weeks in the first year, while mine has never been in overnight for a repair in 4 years. This will be a calculation of how many things gone wrong am I willing to accept to have the desired things gone right?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM

C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
But, I really enjoy and prioritize those sensations. I can completely feel the difference between my C and my son's 328i, and I like his better for those qualities, enough that the interior and exterior design subtleties become irrelevant to me.
Does your son have 2013 model or the previous generation?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Does your son have 2013 model or the previous generation?

F30 platform, N20 4 cylinder engine, manual trans....this was a weekend visit photo opp.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C350 2010, BMW 325i 2001, Porsche turbo 996 2002.
I want to respond to some comments about BMW reliability. May be it is due to Canadian weather, but I have 5 friends with BMW and all of them constantly have issues with the vehicles.
I have no clue what MB's reliability is going to be but I am willing to give it a try.
Count me in!!! Horror story started two weeks after the purchase. Being a mechanic help me a lot to fix the numerous problem I had with my 325i but many of the problems were related to bad design and cheap material used.....Not happy with BMW and cross my fingers for Mercedes reliability...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Sportstick
..... Other than leaving MB due to their dropping manual trans, there is something about how a BMW feels in the smoothness and linear acceleration (due to their nice torque curves and engine NVH tuning), and the steering/chassis performance and feedback. If those don't make it to the top of the list for you, or you don't feel those differences, there is no reason to go there. But, I really enjoy and prioritize those sensations. I can completely feel the difference between my C and my son's 328i, and I like his better for those qualities, enough that the interior and exterior design subtleties become irrelevant to me. ?
I agree with the low-end torque advantage of your son's car, and as I read it, you are comparing it to your 3.0L C300. The new 3.5L C300 would have more torque and power vs yours, but the Xi would still have better low end torque, so that comparison would also be interesting.

Last edited by kevink2; 03-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 PM

2011 C300 W204 (Pending)
Not sure about the new 3 Series, but (sorry folks) I traded a 2008 328i for my C300 and I can't wait to go back to BMW. They handle way better, get far better gas mileage (even though the MPG is rated the same), feel a heck of a lot faster, even though the horsepower is basically the same. I have squeaks and rattles and what bothers me most is all the problems MB owners on this site have - transmissions, lights, etc. I never had a single problem with the Bimmer.
I wonder if it has to do with the fact these cars are built in South Africa and not Germany.

My former 2003 C320 was built in Germany and I did nothing but oil changes on it.

Last edited by Ikester; 03-02-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I got saddled with a 2011 328i xDrive (e90) for 2 weeks while my C250 was in the body shop a month ago.

In the 2 weeks I had it, I never got more than 15MPG out of it.
It had 4 or 5 prominent interior rattles, I found it to be quite loud when accelerating and it felt gutless much of the time when I actually needed it to move - a far cry from the C250 which feels much lighter on its feet. Sport mode on the transmission made the engine rev needlessly, and normal drive mode resulted in a transmission that much of the time made the 7G tronic plus look like it has its act together in regards to shift smoothness and timely downshifts.

Not all was bad - I liked the split screen and widescreen functionality of iDrive. The rest of the iDrive system was illogical garbage, and the lack of redundant buttons on the dashboard (where they are at least in your peripheral view, rather than just being down near the iDrive controller) was a stupid design decision. I can go on and on... needless to say, I was chomping at the bit to get my C back.

Long story short - while I looked at the e90 heavily, I decided against one. Having this one for 2 weeks confirmed for me that I made the right choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is 328xi really that much better than C300?