MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Floaty supsension. Shock/strut replacement @ 50K? Suspension questions. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/499111-floaty-supsension-shock-strut-replacement-50k-suspension-questions.html)

JeffJacobson 05-13-2013 03:53 PM

Floaty supsension. Shock/strut replacement @ 50K? Suspension questions.

Hello all,

First post here. Just picked up the wife a 2010 C300 4matic with 50k miles. The suspensions seems very floaty compared to our other cars ( S4, S5 and 964T all on H&R coils). Since this is the 4matic, I am planning on lowering the car with H&R SS springs and 5mm pad for the rear. Should I replace the shocks and struts at the same time? Seems like I should or is this car a bit more floaty for comfort reasons? Thinking I should probably switch them out while I have the suspension out. Is Bilstein the way to go for the 4matic?

NewtwoMB 05-14-2013 10:58 AM

Driving all those audis and a Porsche, not surprised you feel the Benz is a little "floaty"! Do you have the Sport version or the Luxury? My C-Sport, although not a 4-Matic is certainly not "floaty", but also not as hard and uncomfortable as the two Audi A4s that I've owned in the past. Drive iot for a while and appreciate the ride and handling....Also done 57,000 miles now, only ever needed front disc pads and discs.

JeffJacobson 05-14-2013 04:35 PM

Can't say I love it compared to the other cars and it is the sport version! Just wondering if the shocks and struts are toast? Seems like 50k miles is usally a good time to replace and since I am going to be swapping the springs, wondering if I shouldn't upgrade the shocks and struts too at the same time?

vipsa 05-14-2013 05:06 PM

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Yes the stock suspension is a bit floaty on the C, especially the rear. I just did springs on mine at 35k miles and it fixed the issue for the most part. Shocks/struts usually go for about 60k miles, so if you're having someone else do the work, you might as well have them do both. Bilstein is good, a bit too harsh though. Koni is better from personal experience, especially with the adjustable dampening.

JeffJacobson 05-15-2013 08:54 AM

Yeah, I understand that. Anyone have part #'s for Bilstein and Koni shocks and struts for the 4matic? I'm having a hard time finding anything that will work on the 4. I'm just going to go ahead and swap them out :y

vipsa 05-15-2013 12:16 PM

Hmm, can't find any information on the Konis. Just rumors that they're coming out with Koni FSDs for the w204 at some point. GL

aznmode 05-15-2013 01:14 PM

Bought mine at almost 50k and when I go over speed bumps I hear a slight pop in the front suspension. I dont know if I'm describing it right. But I wonder if I too need to get new shocks. The dealer supposed to have done a full inspection on the car a few weeks ago and told me everything is fine on my car. Should I be worried?

LILBENZ230 05-15-2013 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 5648231)
Bought mine at almost 50k and when I go over speed bumps I hear a slight pop in the front suspension. I dont know if I'm describing it right. But I wonder if I too need to get new shocks. The dealer supposed to have done a full inspection on the car a few weeks ago and told me everything is fine on my car. Should I be worried?

My 11 had a pop/rattle in the front suspension and they have apparently updated the parts..

vipsa 05-15-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 5648231)

I believe there was a TSB for the front strut mounts. Do a search on the forum and I'm sure you'll find it. You might be out of luck at 50K miles getting it covered though.

aznmode 05-15-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by vipsa (Post 5648311)
I believe there was a TSB for the front strut mounts. Do a search on the forum and I'm sure you'll find it. You might be out of luck at 50K miles getting it covered though.

Thanks. I will check with my SA as well. I'm still under 50k so I think I'll be ok.

Doing some searches I found this right away. And the way the OP described the noise is on point. He got it replaced under warranty.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ion-clunk.html

Moto_Guzzi 05-15-2013 02:53 PM

C/S-Modes

Had a control module replaced for floaty issue.