MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Suggestions to fix bumper scratch (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/519458-suggestions-fix-bumper-scratch.html)

keleyic 11-06-2013 10:03 AM

Suggestions to fix bumper scratch

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I made a scratch on the right front bumper when I was parking, it hit on the curb but is not very noticeable since where it locates.

I am wondering how much would it cost if i sent it to dealer and let the professionals to fix it?

My model is 2012 C300 with white color.

The scratch is attached.

TonyLukes3 11-06-2013 10:10 AM

My father had his fixed at a local shop, was $350 and they repainted the whole bumper to make I look right. You could probably have a shop try to feather it in and blend it and save some money but I'm not sure how good it'll look. Perhaps with white it would be more forgiving.

gusecu 11-06-2013 05:17 PM

I would not take it to the dealer. I would take it to a local body shop you trust. They will do just as good a job as the dealer.

xXHotelCrazyXx 11-06-2013 05:50 PM

Touch up paint and throw an aftermarket lip on there!

mac911 11-06-2013 05:59 PM

I'm not sure I'd recommend getting it re-sprayed entirely for only that damage.

I recently got a pre-owned car that had the front bumper re-sprayed. It was gorgeous when I got the car, but now 4,000 miles later it has about 100 white chips in the dark grey paint.

You just can't seem to match the quality job of the factory paint for holding up.

Of course, many rock chips might be better to you than that damage, tough call.

Carsy 11-07-2013 12:49 AM

There should be 'touch up ' shops in your area. I would try them. They fix minor dents & match the paint to scratches for a reasonable fee.

You could also buy some touch up paint & DIY.

C300Sport 11-07-2013 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carsy (Post 5835614)
There should be 'touch up ' shops in your area. I would try them. They fix minor dents & match the paint to scratches for a reasonable fee.

You could also buy some touch up paint & DIY.

Call the dealer and ask who they use for their touch ups. Most dealers farm out their paint work to a mobile unit. My neighbor has a classic auto shop and he has a guy that would do something like that for about $50.

I have always tried touch up paint and I love the Dr. Colorchip product though I am not sure how well it would work on a ridge like that.

nicholasyud 11-08-2013 12:24 AM

you would bump on that all the time. Just buy the OEM paint from dealer and touch up.
It's not hard to do it urself and ppl can barely see it after the touch up.

Mr_Clifton 11-08-2013 06:00 AM

I'd take it to a carwash and have someone there try to buff out as much as they can and then apply some touch up paint. Someone hit me at work and it left a paint transfer and scratches on my car, most all of it came right out and it only cost me 40 bucks cash to fix

C300Sport 11-08-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Clifton (Post 5836848)
I'd take it to a carwash and have someone there try to buff out as much as they can and then apply some touch up paint. Someone hit me at work and it left a paint transfer and scratches on my car, most all of it came right out and it only cost me 40 bucks cash to fix

Buffing may help if he scraped a tire or something black that transferred the dark color onto his car. Hitting a curb likely just ground the paint off down to the plastic so no amount of buffing will help.
Given how low the area is, you may want to try your hand with a $10-$15 bottle of touch up paint and see how you like it before exploring more costly methods of repair.

stratman1954 11-08-2013 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by C300Sport (Post 5835729)
Call the dealer and ask who they use for their touch ups. Most dealers farm out their paint work to a mobile unit. My neighbor has a classic auto shop and he has a guy that would do something like that for about $50.

I have always tried touch up paint and I love the Dr. Colorchip product though I am not sure how well it would work on a ridge like that.

Had a similar scratch, only on the rear bumper. Went to the dealer and used their "touch-up" guy. Reasonable price and was done well.

professor2423 07-16-2016 09:27 PM

wd40 AND sand-paper to remove any paint that isn't your own

plenty of information on youtube

Josh.A.Hussey 07-18-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by professor2423 (Post 6860981)
wd40 AND sand-paper to remove any paint that isn't your own

plenty of information on youtube

Holy thread revival!
Hahaha

AmBaker 07-19-2016 11:18 AM

I got side swiped at about 20 mph and was just sick when I saw my vehicle! My car is white, the car that hit me was red. I had a lot of red streaks on my car and one dent that was very difficult to see but it was there. Luckily, the scratch didn't actually damage my paint. As bad as it looked, I used a magic eraser and applied a lot of pressure. It wasn't easy but I got it all off! I am so impressed with MB Paint!!! Dent guy was able to pop the dent out using a suction cup device.

C300Sport 07-20-2016 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by AmBaker (Post 6863242)
I got side swiped at about 20 mph and was just sick when I saw my vehicle! My car is white, the car that hit me was red. I had a lot of red streaks on my car and one dent that was very difficult to see but it was there. Luckily, the scratch didn't actually damage my paint. As bad as it looked, I used a magic eraser and applied a lot of pressure. It wasn't easy but I got it all off! I am so impressed with MB Paint!!! Dent guy was able to pop the dent out using a suction cup device.

Lucky Guy...must be livin right!
Did you polish/wax after using the magic eraser? I thought of using it for tree sap on my windshield but it's not recommended for glass or paint...of course what's less recommended is someone scrubbing their car down the side of yours so it seems to be the lesser of two evils...:)

AmBaker 07-26-2016 12:09 PM

Yes I did polish and wax after using the magic eraser. The car that hit me had heavy oxidation of his paint. The red car was almost pink. His paint was all over my car. I was nervous using the eraser but I figured if it doesn't work, I'm headed to the body shop anyways. It was worth a try. I use it on my boat a lot on gelcoat with no issues.