MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Same size wheels all around - will it mess with the transfer case? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/527855-same-size-wheels-all-around-will-mess-transfer-case.html)

tpdietz 01-17-2014 10:02 AM

Same size wheels all around - will it mess with the transfer case?

I have acquired 16 inch rims with a 5x112 bolt pattern and a working offset. I wanted to use these as winter rims. These rims have old winter tires on them that are all the same size.

My tire shop says the rear wheels on the w204 4-matic are slightly taller than the the front and if I replace all four wheels/tires with ones that are all the same size if will cause a problem with the transfer case.

In short, he said the computer will think the rears are spinning at a different rate of speed than the fronts, therefore activating traction control all the time.

Is this correct? If so, is there a tire size that will work for these 16 inch rims? Tire place said there wasn't.

Help! Thanks for your time!

spyked 01-17-2014 10:13 AM

??

If anything, same size tires/wheels on all four corners is BETTER for any/all drivetrain components.

Think about it....there are thousands of Luxury trim 4MATIC models out there that come with the same size at both ends. I think MB knows better (in this case...).

tpdietz 01-17-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by spyked (Post 5910834)
??

If anything, same size tires/wheels on all four corners is BETTER for any/all drivetrain components.

Think about it....there are thousands of Luxury trim 4MATIC models out there that come with the same size at both ends. I think MB knows better (in this case...).

Thank you for your response. I felt the same way!

I hope others can chime in to confirm this.

NewtwoMB 01-17-2014 11:52 AM

Winter rims

You may wish to check that the 16ins rims clear the disc brake rotors and calipers of your Sport model. I was advised by the dealer to use only 17ins or above for winter tyres (I have 18ins wheels as standard).

tpdietz 01-17-2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by NewtwoMB (Post 5910933)
You may wish to check that the 16ins rims clear the disc brake rotors and calipers of your Sport model. I was advised by the dealer to use only 17ins or above for winter tyres (I have 18ins wheels as standard).

Thank you for the advice. I have managed to "partially" mount one of these wheels on the front. I say partially because I still need to buy the correct lug bolts and because the the oem ones aren't long enough to snug all the way down.

If the wheel can bolt on, does this mean the rim clears the brakes enough? Or is there a minimum gap requirement I should measure to ensure proper fitment?

NewtwoMB 01-18-2014 03:20 PM

Not too sure on that. I was told that diameter of the wheel is crucial but I'd guess that the offset of the hub versus the rim would also be pretty critical otherwise the caliper may catch the spokes of the wheel. Just my view.