C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

help:how to exchange the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Sedan
help:how to exchange the steering wheel

just bougt a 507 steering wheel and it is on the way~

and i realized i have no idea how to retrofit the steering wheel. any previous threads or posts in this forum give a full instruction(with photos) how to take the airbag out and re-wire the cable?

i have a 2012 facelift model c63, thx
Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by adolzero
just bougt a 507 steering wheel and it is on the way~

and i realized i have no idea how to retrofit the steering wheel. any previous threads or posts in this forum give a full instruction(with photos) how to take the airbag out and re-wire the cable?

i have a 2012 facelift model c63, thx
I have a pre FL but it should be the same as the steering base and connectors are the same on pre and FL steering and airbag. Unless 507 is different? But I don't see why it would be.

First you will need to disconnect the negative on the battery and probably let it sit for a good 5 minutes before you start working on the steering. It's going to take you at least 5 minutes to detach the airbag so 5 min before start is good enough. If you don't disconnect the battery, you will have an airbag warning when you disconnect the airbag and you'll have to get it cleared at the dealer.

To remove the airbag, there should be 2 dimples on the back of the steering wheel where you can poke torx screws in. See diagram below. There are other pictures in there if you hit the forward button if you want to see another view.
https://mbworld.org/g/picture/305709

Once airbag is removed there are 2 cables you have to detach. Follow the below step starting from 5.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...heel-swap.html

You'll need a 10mm allen wrench to remove the center bolt for the steering. It's very hard to remove. I used another 10mm socket wrench to attach to the short end of the allen wrench for leverage while my friend held the steering wheel tight.

Installing is the reverse and I recommend you use locktite on the screw just to be on the safe side. Airbag you just pop in till it locks in place. Then re attached negative terminal on the battery.

If you're not comfortable doing this I recommend you have it done professionally. Some dealers will do it for you or local performance shop. It should take about 15 minutes since they probably have better tools.

Last edited by aznmode; 05-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by aznmode
I have a pre FL but it should be the same as the steering base and connectors are the same on pre and FL steering and airbag. Unless 507 is different? But I don't see why it would be.

First you will need to disconnect the negative on the battery and probably let it sit for a good 5 minutes before you start working on the steering. It's going to take you at least 5 minutes to detach the airbag so 5 min before start is good enough. If you don't disconnect the battery, you will have an airbag warning when you disconnect the airbag and you'll have to get it cleared at the dealer.

To remove the airbag, there should be 2 dimples on the back of the steering wheel where you can poke torx screws in. See diagram below. There are other pictures in there if you hit the forward button if you want to see another view.
https://mbworld.org/g/picture/305709

Once airbag is removed there are 2 cables you have to detach. Follow the below step starting from 5.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...heel-swap.html

You'll need a 10mm allen wrench to remove the center bolt for the steering. It's very hard to remove. I used another 10mm socket wrench to attach to the short end of the allen wrench for leverage while my friend held the steering wheel tight.

Installing is the reverse and I recommend you use locktite on the screw just to be on the safe side. Airbag you just pop in till it locks in place. Then re attached negative terminal on the battery.

If you're not comfortable doing this I recommend you have it done professionally. Some dealers will do it for you or local performance shop. It should take about 15 minutes since they have they probably have better tools.
hi aznmode, thx very much for such detailed guidebook...very clear summary