MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   C63 Hood Strips [INSTALL THREAD] have some questions (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/550516-c63-hood-strips-install-thread-have-some-questions.html)

crehop 07-26-2014 09:51 PM

C63 Hood Strips [INSTALL THREAD] have some questions

Hey guys,

After a while of looking for a C63 hood and all of them costing an arm and a leg + dealing with all the heavy lifting and painting costs I decided to go cheap and get these off ebay for $100

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7265b76daa.jpg

I know I know im a poser, but I love the look so I want it don't judge me! I can't afford a :bow: C63. Anyways, My Idea was to just glue it on with some epoxy, then take it to a body shop and have them smooth it out and paint it. is that the best plan? Also Anyone have any mesurments for where and how they should be positioned on a hood? the reason I want to fit them instead of takign them to a shop is I don't want them to mess up the placement, although I can do that too.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Ideas?
Suggestions?

Of course I will update this Thread with pictures as I go.

savi01 07-26-2014 10:41 PM

I don't know much about these or the placement, but I think it would be better to get them painted first and then just place them on the hood and see how they will actually look before using the epoxy; just so you can get a better idea of how it would actually look and if it's worth it as well as proper placement.

crehop 07-26-2014 11:30 PM

I've seen them on a c63 in real life and i Like them. and painting costs alot, they need to be pained in place for a seamless fit (I'm not going to spray paint, I'm taking them to a bodyshop

tofu- 07-27-2014 03:10 PM

what color is your car? maybe you can get away with it if it's black, but anything else is going to be pretty obvious you just glued some random humps to your hood.

these fitment on these also better be IMMACULATE

crehop 07-27-2014 04:53 PM

I know fitment needs to be amazing, that's why I'm here asking. I plan to have the hood painted again by a collision and body shop, and also plan to have them use some bond around the edges to smooth it out. I don't trust them with placement, so I want tI place it myself.

tofu- 07-27-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by crehop (Post 6117156)
I know fitment needs to be amazing, that's why I'm here asking. I plan to have the hood painted again by a collision and body shop, and also plan to have them use some bond around the edges to smooth it out. I don't trust them with placement, so I want tI place it myself.

ah so they'll fiberglass the edges for you to make it seamless? should look pretty good then.

what is it about an oem c63 hood that won't fit? if it's merely a matter of length, then you may be able to grind it down in the front so it lines up with the fenders and bumper.

crehop 07-27-2014 07:09 PM

they sell plenty of c63 look hoods for my car, but they are about $600 shipped, plus another $300-$400 for the paint. I figure this way I can do it for less then $500. It's not merely the length on a real C63, its also height. The hood is taller to fit the engine so it won't line up with the windshield correctly either.

rtr2 07-29-2014 07:12 PM

You are not poser unless you put an AMG badge on it, just my opinion. My car has been in the shop since an unfortunate accident, so I decided to have some fun with it. The body shop installed the stips in about two hours, and molded them into the hood with no issues making a unique twist on a FL hood. Hopefully mine is done this week. People can laugh at what I did, but when it comes down to it what I did to the car is to make only me happy. Do what you want to your car, after all it is YOUR car.

xzotik1 07-29-2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by rtr2 (Post 6119532)
You are not poser unless you put an AMG badge on it, just my opinion. My car has been in the shop since an unfortunate accident, so I decided to have some fun with it. The body shop installed the stips in about two hours, and molded them into the hood with no issues making a unique twist on a FL hood. Hopefully mine is done this week. People can laugh at what I did, but when it comes down to it what I did to the car is to make only me happy. Do what you want to your car, after all it is YOUR car.

Amen brother....

xzotik1 07-29-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rtr2 (Post 6119532)

Wait a minute... this car is nice, good job man!

rtr2 07-29-2014 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by xzotik1 (Post 6119672)
Wait a minute... this car is nice, good job man!

Thanks, I owe a lot of people from the forum many thanks for help locating parts for it. When it is done I will post the whole project. I don't think it looks bad considering it started out life as a 2011 C300 Luxury model.

xzotik1 07-29-2014 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by rtr2 (Post 6119676)
Thanks, I owe a lot of people from the forum many thanks for help locating parts for it. When it is done I will post the whole project. I don't think it looks bad considering it started out life as a 2011 C300 Luxury model.

Please do, emphasize on the figment and challenges if any. I set a budget of 2500 to do the same thing, but unfortunately my 2010 68k aircon compressor failed. The repair cost will be 2098.72....dam!

crehop 07-30-2014 02:08 AM

@rtr2

Awesome pics! I have those fenders on the way also. How much was it for them to mold it to your hood and paint the car?

rtr2 07-30-2014 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by crehop (Post 6119977)
@rtr2

Awesome pics! I have those fenders on the way also. How much was it for them to mold it to your hood and paint the car?

I will post the cost when out of the shop. My situation was a little more severe. I was getting some work done anyway due to an accident, so when it went into the shop I figured what the hell and had a complete facelift done. I purchased all of the extra parts and their installation myself (fenders-ebay won them for $98, hood-used $115, bumper/Side Skirts/lip-Gary Suvneer here on the forum, taillights-Fishcake, rear bumper-Baystate, R1-brakes, AMG exhaust-Brumos Jacksonville, etc). Here are some more pics, one before and the rest after (excuse the one with a thumb in, it was hot as hell that day). They are finishing the rear bumper and a few loose ends now so hopefully by this weekend it will be done.
As for the fenders, your shop will have to do a few adjustments to them so they will not look stupid. I had them use carbon filler to beef them up, and also continue the line from the door into the fender so it would look more natural. I also purchased better looking powder coated black grille and had them install it into every duct on the front and rear bumpers, and the fenders. The grille that comes in them looks cheap. The car has been in the shop for all of this for over a month. I told them to take their time so it looked OK. I have Euromag EM2 Black wheels on the way, so hopefully it looks good when done. I wanted something different.

Mikephinney 07-30-2014 01:18 PM

WOW, is what I can say about your ride. Sofar it looks like the finnished product is going to be just what you wanted, different. Very, very cool though in my opinion. Great job and vision.

How was the carbon look applied to all the under the hood items?

rtr2 07-30-2014 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mikephinney (Post 6120436)
WOW, is what I can say about your ride. Sofar it looks like the finnished product is going to be just what you wanted, different. Very, very cool though in my opinion. Great job and vision.

How was the carbon look applied to all the under the hood items?

The car is paid off, but I still couldn't justify spending a fortune on real carbon in the car since it is just for business. My friend at Cutting Edge in Orange Park did the whole interior, and under the hood for a fraction of what just a basic real kit would cost. If a piece would happen to get messed up (trust me you can't kill this stuff), you would just pop it out and he would redo it in a day or so for a small fee. If you really don't have to have the real stuff (there is enough real carbon on the outside of the car), you cannot really tell that it isn't real.
His name is Mike and he also ships.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3535271&type=1

Cutting Edge Hydrographics
2175 Kingsley Ave Suite 301
Orange Park, Florida 32073
Open: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Phone: (904) 233-6812
Email: mike@cutting-edgehydrographics.com
Website http://www.cutting-edgehydrographics.com

Suvneer 07-30-2014 06:00 PM

Oh wow you are hardcore!

rtr2 07-30-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gary@Suvneer (Post 6120765)
Oh wow you are hardcore!

Thank you for your help with the parts, I really appreciate your assistance. It is coming out great.

Suvneer 07-30-2014 07:24 PM

The pleasure is all mine. The car looks amazing! When I look at your car, all I see is $$$ signs. LOL

rtr2 07-30-2014 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gary@Suvneer (Post 6120845)
The pleasure is all mine. The car looks amazing! When I look at your car, all I see is $$$ signs. LOL

lmao

xzotik1 07-30-2014 11:12 PM

I'm loving the rear bumper...heak, I'm loving the whole project.

djclint 07-30-2014 11:30 PM

How much did it cost total to get them molded on and hood repainted?

rtr2 07-31-2014 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by xzotik1 (Post 6121101)
I'm loving the rear bumper...heak, I'm loving the whole project.

Thanks, I am happy with it.

Originally Posted by djclint (Post 6121119)
How much did it cost total to get them molded on and hood repainted?

I just looked at the original estimate, and it looks like to refinish the hood, mold the scoops in, and paint it was $165, plus $100 for the scoops shipped totals $265. Remember this was a 2012 used hood that had some dents in it, and they removed the 2011 hood, and retrofit mine to do the facelift so mine is a little more than what you would be charged.

TheRulesLawyer 07-31-2014 05:26 PM

Those strips look nice. If I ever have to do a hood repaint maybe I'll have it done.

crehop 08-03-2014 03:06 PM

any update to your car rtr2?