C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Brake Repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4matic
Brake Repairs

I am getting some conflicting info - what is the manufacturer recommendations when it comes to pad/rotor replacement. My dealer replaced both on the front wheels. A friend and mechanic suggests no, the pads only could have been done. I recognize that just the pads could have been done - but what does the manufacture recommend, and if possible - why?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 PM

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Luxury
You know, I was wondering the same thing. I just went in to do my 30K-mile maintenance, and was recommended a brake pad/rotor change.

They quoted me mid-$500's.

I too am looking for some answers. Is this price normal? Do the rotors need to be changed this early in the game (really, at 30K miles?)

This makes two of us!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Dealers will prefer to change both. But if the rotor's thickness are still fine just changing the pads will do BUT make sure to refinish the rotor's surface for the pads to marry the rotor properly. This is the reason why the dealer wants to replace and not to resurface because the rotor might need replacement while the new pad is still on its half mark.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Dealers will prefer to change both. But if the rotor's thickness are still fine just changing the pads will do BUT make sure to refinish the rotor's surface for the pads to marry the rotor properly. This is the reason why the dealer wants to replace and not to resurface because the rotor might need replacement while the new pad is still on its half mark.
If the front rotors are worn 3mm then they need replacing. You can check if there is a significant lip on the rotors then they will need to go. I have found that the front rotors need replacing every time I do a pad change. the rears last two pad changes. Changed out all four pads, rotors, wear indicators plus oil change for less than 500 dollars. Purchased the gear online and changed them my self took less than two hours to do. Mileage seems right for replacement if you do a lot of stop start urban miles. Country miles will last a lot longer
Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM

2012 C250
The stock pads are very soft and wear the rotors out pretty quick. I replaced mine at about 27K and the rotors were shot! There was a big lip on the outside edge, so 30K sounds good. I went with the Akebono ceramic pads and Centric drilled rotors. full front setup around 225 online. Very happy with them.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Luxury
Originally Posted by Mikephinney
The stock pads are very soft and wear the rotors out pretty quick. I replaced mine at about 27K and the rotors were shot! There was a big lip on the outside edge, so 30K sounds good. I went with the Akebono ceramic pads and Centric drilled rotors. full front setup around 225 online. Very happy with them.
Wow! Thats how my brake rotors are looking right now. I could fit a nickel in the dish that has formed around the edges of the rotors.

Can you please forward me where you got your brake package from?

Also, would it be a no-no to resurface the brake rotor? I have so many machine shops by where I work, that it almost seems like a crime not to ask..
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Most likely, the rotors should be done at the same time on these cars. That is only my opinion. The pads seem to last long enough that the rotors need replacing by that time.

You can get OEM rotors and pads very cheap online, IF you have brake job experience or want to take the OEM parts to a trusted mechanic.

www.getmercedesparts.com is a decent source.

I prefer the OEM brakes, many like to "upgrade," but I like the OEM and don't mind the dust.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 PM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by Canovas_jorge
Wow! Thats how my brake rotors are looking right now. I could fit a nickel in the dish that has formed around the edges of the rotors. Can you please forward me where you got your brake package from? Also, would it be a no-no to resurface the brake rotor? I have so many machine shops by where I work, that it almost seems like a crime not to ask..
I bought the rotors on Amazon, and the pads on Tirerack.com
The dust drove me nuts, so the ceramics was the way for me and I am very satisfied with the stopping power. If you can fit a nickel in the lip, then they are beyond repair. Sorry, but you'll be happy with a complete new set up anyway. Just break them in properly.