MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Throttle delay (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/560339-throttle-delay.html)

cazmart 10-17-2014 02:45 AM

Throttle delay

Need your help guys,am in dispute with a garage that sold me the C220 cdi sport,it has a delay of about 1-2 secs, is this normal I think it's dangerous but they say it's okay, any ideas folks ?

Knightmare69 10-17-2014 03:07 AM

Reset the throttle, key to position 2, foot on accl pedal for 10 seconds, key to position 1 and then release pedal, do not remove key. Wait 2-5min then drive the car.

Why did you make 2 threads about this?

cazmart 10-17-2014 06:48 AM

Sorry Bud,new to all this, is this a known fault with this car ?

NewtwoMB 10-17-2014 11:03 AM

Hi Cazmart,

Not a fault, but a characteristic of the way the car is set up. The ECU "learns" the driving behaviour of the driver and, if the last one was a slow driver with gentle inputs to the throttle, the car will respond by teaching the ECU this. Also, with the C220 there is a lot of torque (300 ft/lbs or so standard) going through the transmission at fairly low revs, if its hammered, so the engine management system tries to limit possible damage to it.

The advice given should help it but thought I'd give you this insight as a daily driver of a C220 for nearly 6 years. I found, owning the car from new, that the MB dealer is your friend when you have questions and problems. They know the car better than an independent unless he's been MB trained. Just my thoughts.

Good luck with it. :zoom:

stilolos 10-18-2014 09:29 AM

I've had my c220 for over 3 years now and you just have to get used to it. At first I noticed this as well, always a slight delay in the acceleration then it takes off! I think it's down to the power band, between the 1000-1500 rpm, no power there until you hit about 2000rpm then it flies. It has caused me to stall a few times even now when I need to get out of a junction quick and I don't build enough revs.. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

will042082 10-20-2014 08:53 AM

When resetting the throttle is there any indication that it's been reset?

Doa 10-20-2014 09:18 AM

you can change the throttle response level with xentry
both for automatic as manual there are 4 levels and stock its set on the slowest one building up power in stages even when you hit the floor

Knightmare69 10-20-2014 09:45 AM

That's new, I've never heard of that. You've done this already?

Doa 10-20-2014 10:45 AM

not yet, i know someone who has xentry and did it on his CLA and C class so i'll pass by when i have some time to change mine

Skyline45 10-20-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cazmart (Post 6200867)
Sorry Bud,new to all this, is this a known fault with this car ?

Not a fault, but put there by design. There are mods you can get to help the issue:

https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

If you wanted to throw money at it. I just ended up resting my car's settings, and let it "learn" how I drive. I still have a noticeable lag when I leave it in Automatic mode. When using the tiptronic though the lag seems to disappear all together.

Knightmare69 10-20-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doa (Post 6203622)
not yet, i know someone who has xentry and did it on his CLA and C class so i'll pass by when i have some time to change mine

Please keep us up to date about this, would be interesting to know.

cazmart 10-21-2014 12:53 AM

Thanks for the info folks,tried the throttle reset suggested but it made no difference, Reading through all the threads the general consensus seems to be that that is the way it is, so this being my first Mercedes I will just have to adapt my driving style,thanks again you have saved me a trip and wasted expense going in to my local Dealer,any suggestions in future will be much appreciated. 👍

Knightmare69 10-21-2014 04:14 AM

Then I would try something like sprintbooster or the like, it will preload your throttle so that it feels like it's instant reaction.

macolam1123 10-21-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by cazmart (Post 6204463)
Thanks for the info folks,tried the throttle reset suggested but it made no difference, Reading through all the threads the general consensus seems to be that that is the way it is, so this being my first Mercedes I will just have to adapt my driving style,thanks again you have saved me a trip and wasted expense going in to my local Dealer,any suggestions in future will be much appreciated. 👍

I did a reset according to those steps and it worked on mine,at least feels like it.Would you be having some steps did wrong?

Doa 10-21-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by macolam1123 (Post 6205051)
I did a reset according to those steps and it worked on mine,at least feels like it.Would you be having some steps did wrong?

a throttle reset does not remote the throttle response delay! it only resets to factory default which is for non AMG's the lowest level.
if you want the same kind of response like BMW you need Xentry to change it to atleast level 2

cazmart 10-21-2014 03:14 PM

Spent most of the day reviewing the 'Sprintbooster ',and although £180 is a lot to spend on a gadget,for the symptoms I have, I think this is the item to go for (and it's easy to fit !!),will let you know if it cures it,thanks again everyone for the advice.

jerryt 10-21-2014 03:29 PM

Xentry tweak for throttle lag

Note - you may not have these settings as they are firmware specific.

Look for Pedalkennlinie (Pedal curve) under ECU module with DAS developer. There will be four settings KLD 1 to 4, KLD1 is default, KLD2 is as far as you will need to go. Most report a huge improvement... (KLD3 and 4 can trigger limp mode)

AusMB87 10-22-2014 01:23 AM

Looks like a carton of beer heading towards my local dealer ^^^^

acr2001 10-22-2014 08:24 AM

Why doesn't someone create a little "programmer" that plugs into the car, and simply changes this setting? Is it not feasible? It would be a very popular product and would work far better than the sprintbooster which can't actually increase throttle response, only throttle sensitivity (it just decreases the distance /curve required to get to the "full throttle" signal from the pedal).

Knightmare69 10-22-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 6205904)
Why doesn't someone create a little "programmer" that plugs into the car, and simply changes this setting? Is it not feasible? It would be a very popular product and would work far better than the sprintbooster which can't actually increase throttle response, only throttle sensitivity (it just decreases the distance /curve required to get to the "full throttle" signal from the pedal).

Supposedly TMC has something called Autoflash which plugs into your OBD port and for the most part will reconfigure your TCU and some of your ECU. It's promising better shift time and the lot. Also, Weistec has said they can tune our TCU but you'd have to contact them directly and obviously ship them your TCU.

jerryt 10-22-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by acr2001 (Post 6205904)

I think they are pretty much the same thing (Xentry mod and sprintbooster), both modify the pedal curve.

Tebs 11-10-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jerryt (Post 6205112)
Note - you may not have these settings as they are firmware specific.

Look for Pedalkennlinie (Pedal curve) under ECU module with DAS developer. There will be four settings KLD 1 to 4, KLD1 is default, KLD2 is as far as you will need to go. Most report a huge improvement... (KLD3 and 4 can trigger limp mode)

Not quite the same engine as I have a C320CDI but I changed mine from KLD1 to KLD2 and noticed a big improvement. AFAIK KLD3 and KLD4 are model specific and can indeed trigger limp. There is a detailed right up by Scott52 on benzworld.

jerryt 11-10-2014 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a screenshot of R171, it was pre set at KLD4

Andriy242 11-10-2014 05:07 PM

The simple answer for you is it because its a Diesel. Diesel cars are great but if you want that power right off the bat then you need a NA gas car. Diesel has lots of torque but not at low RPMs when you start the car.

They have lots of power to tow things and such, but not for off the line boost.

Even if you jump into the brand new 2014 models which are diesel, you will notice that they are a little bit slower at the start.

Doa 11-10-2014 05:22 PM

? lots of torque = lots of power at low RPM's