MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Rear light issues (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/578636-rear-light-issues.html)

NewtwoMB 03-19-2015 12:34 PM

Rear light issues

I have a 2009 model W204 Sport with OEM LED rear turn signals / with the remainder of the taillamps being conventional. The offside (US nearside) one has been acting strangely in the last few days. The red taillamps are very dim on that side compared with the other and the lower red lights are barely visible. Occasionally I get error messages telling me the turn signals on that side are out yet they still operate. What they do do is flash alternately with one of the top red taillamps! Also have been getting other random error messages on "reverse lamps out", "taillamp out" but nothing steady or predictable. The lights also seem to flicker. Is this an earth problem or the dreaded meltdown that so many seem to have had? Can't see any evidence of this with mine. Or is it a SAM problem or lamp cluster issue? Comments welcome. Thanks. :zoom:

Doa 03-19-2015 01:28 PM

my guess is the mass cable that melted

NewtwoMB 03-20-2015 11:15 AM

Rear light issues

Thanks DOA, but how do I confirm that? I cannot see any evidence of melted or damaged wiring. Would it be near the tail lamp area or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.:bow:

Doa 03-20-2015 11:24 AM

normally the black connector should have some damage where the mass pin/cable is but i've known some cars where the mass cable melted at the mass side and not in the black connector

NewtwoMB 03-20-2015 11:33 AM

OK, I think I get your meaning. You're referring to the black connector that's clipped into the rear lamp cluster, yes?

Togie30440 03-20-2015 04:14 PM

I had the same problem up until last week. The drivers side rear light was dim. If you leave the car running and check the light, you should hear a faint electrical buzzing from the actually black connector. It's the brown earth wire! It's under amp'd. It's a 5 amp wire with 10+ running through it. The black connector should be slightly or totally melted. I repaired mine myself and I have little mechanical knowledge. Took roughly an hour. Need any help give me a shout

vipsa 03-20-2015 05:08 PM

There's a recall for that issue in the US. I would guess there would be one in the UK as well.
I had mine done last month.

gary_youngster 03-20-2015 09:19 PM

yea..i just got the recall letter for the issue a couple months ago ( in the US ). I noticed the same tail lights issue and I went ahead and fixed it before the recall letter was delivered. If you have the issue, you will see the tail light connector showing burn marks. I fixed it by tapping the connector wire directly to the other side on the tail lamp. I don't know if they dealership will still grant me the recall. I will try to have it replaced next time I bring in my car for the service.

NewtwoMB 03-22-2015 07:53 AM

No evidence of burn marks on connector or anywhere nearby. and no recall notice on the issue - I asked the local dealer who services my car once per year. Had the car from new - no issues till now. :nix:

NewtwoMB 03-31-2015 08:21 AM

Rear light issues - fixed!

Took it to the dealer for diagnosis on their computer. Fortunately not a SAM issue. Parts replaced were:

Bulb socket panel right rear light unit MA 204 820 16 00
Electrical plug for above MA 211 545 03 28
Contact pins 081585 (7) for socket panel MA 013 545 16 26
Repair electrical cable line

Low cost parts but labour costs are a PITA :nix:.

All works fine now so very happy. :zoom:

vipsa 03-31-2015 10:58 AM

I'm very surprised that there was not a recall for that exact issue in EU. It does indeed seem to be only in North America.http://www.mbca.org/forum/2014-04-30...aillight-issue
Maybe give a call to MB EU and see if they would maybe reimburse you at least partially.
Just curious, where was your car made?

NewtwoMB 03-31-2015 12:06 PM

There is no warranty recall for this issue according to Mercedes-Benz (UK) Ltd and also, according to the dealer, none from Germany, they checked through the whole system for me (fortunately have a good relationship with dealer who've looked after it from day 1).

The car was built in Germany, Bremen I think.