C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bi-Xenon Headlight beam cut-off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Bi-Xenon Headlight beam cut-off

For those of you with the bi-xenon lights, when you're on a pitch dark road, with your lights on, does anyone's lights look like the beam doesn't throw out far enough? I'm used to the sharp cut-off of bi-xenon lights, but the beams don't seem like they throw out far enough when you look at the ground. Maybe it's just an alignment issue...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I feel the same way, but usually those are the situations I can use my high-beams in which remedies the issue.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
I've ridden in my friend's face-lifted w204 with the oem bi-xenon lights, and I have to agree with you. There's ample foreground lighting, but the distance lighting is pretty bad. I know the non-xenon lights can be adjusted higher with a hex key (which might help), but I never had any experience with the xenon lights.
I did retrofit a set of projectors into my other car Japanese car, and I've gotta say, the Japanese are better than the Germans in the light optics engineering.
Here's a link for some projector references: http://www.jvxdriver.com/bixenon_comparison.htm
Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
That's when you should be using Active Assist (if fitted) to automatically flick the main beams on and off.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
I thought it was just me that had this bi-xenon headlight issue. I noticed how short the range of the light was. I thought the shop didn't install it right...but it looks like others are having the same issue. Maybe there is a way to fix this
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
FFM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Audi R8
If you read the manual, the lights are designed to be active without inhibiting oncoming traffic. Thus they aren't aimed in a manner to obstruct others.

In the past all the retrofitted xenons I have had were aimed properly with nice cutoff, however below that cutoff and it was blinding to oncoming traffic. Is what it is, I don't believe there is anything you can do aside from possibly a new calibration at the dealer. Which isn't likely to "fix" anything, because I don't believe there's anything wrong.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by FFM
If you read the manual, the lights are designed to be active without inhibiting oncoming traffic. Thus they aren't aimed in a manner to obstruct others.

In the past all the retrofitted xenons I have had were aimed properly with nice cutoff, however below that cutoff and it was blinding to oncoming traffic. Is what it is, I don't believe there is anything you can do aside from possibly a new calibration at the dealer. Which isn't likely to "fix" anything, because I don't believe there's anything wrong.
That's understandable...I'm glad the manufacturer is putting safety first but the short cut off kind of sucks when it comes to driving in streets filled with potholes. Even driving at a reasonable speed there is no time to react to potholes on the road because by the time you see it its already too late. And putting on my high beams will defeat the whole purpose of not blinding other drivers.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:14 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by Vdhroso
That's understandable...I'm glad the manufacturer is putting safety first but the short cut off kind of sucks when it comes to driving in streets filled with potholes. Even driving at a reasonable speed there is no time to react to potholes on the road because by the time you see it its already too late. And putting on my high beams will defeat the whole purpose of not blinding other drivers.
I'm glad this isn't an isolated issue - I hate that the flaw exists though. My car does have the adaptive front lighting, but I do try to avoid using high-beams whenever possible. I do wish that the beams threw out a little further so that I could have more time to see potholes, or other road hazards. If there's a way to manually adjust the lights, I'm going to try it.

I decided to look around under the hood of my car after I posted this earlier. It looks like there's an Up/Down beam adjustment, but when looking for the Left/Right adjustment, that adjustment hole was blocked off. I don't know what side hex bit you'd need to adjust it, but a couple of turns will probably raise your light beam. The adjustment is at the center of the headlight. I'll post the picture of the adjustment point when I have a chance.

Last edited by W57thNY; 04-03-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by W57thNY
I'm glad this isn't an isolated issue - I hate that the flaw exists though. My car does have the adaptive front lighting, but I do try to avoid using high-beams whenever possible. I do wish that the beams threw out a little further so that I could have more time to see potholes, or other road hazards. If there's a way to manually adjust the lights, I'm going to try it.

I decided to look around under the hood of my car after I posted this earlier. It looks like there's an Up/Down beam adjustment, but when looking for the Left/Right adjustment, that adjustment hole was blocked off. I don't know what side hex bit you'd need to adjust it, but a couple of turns will probably raise your light beam. The adjustment is at the center of the headlight. I'll post the picture of the adjustment point when I have a chance.
That would be great. Is yours the retrofitted headlights or factory bi-xenons?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vdhroso
That would be great. Is yours the retrofitted headlights or factory bi-xenons?
As promised, here's the picture of the headlight adjustment for a 2013 C250, with factory Bi-Xenons. You can use a hex bit to adjust it. Look closely, and you'll see arrows designating which way to turn for UP/DN adjustment. The Left/Right adjustment looks blocked off.

We're looking at the passenger side of the car, with the front of the car at the top of the picture.

Hope it helps.