C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes-Benz isn't about the value...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Mercedes-Benz isn't about the value...

My neighbor brought home a brand new 2015 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 FWD (AWD is an option with this motor) over the weekend. I happened to catch him outside, and we got to talking about cars (which inevitably led to talking about our cars).

He proceeded to ask me about the price of my car, and compare the equipment level, and options, and upon hearing that my car was about $3k more than his ($47k vs $44k), and tell me how he got a better value for the money (for that money he got navigation, THX sound, lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, radar based cruise control, 19" wheels - I do have to say though the front-wheel drive layout loses the MKZ major points).

I completely agreed with him on the value aspect, but the overall trade-off to save a bit of money didn't seem worth it to me. I bought my C250 because of the build quality, looks (I've loved the way the W204's have looked from the day I first saw the 2008's) and driving dynamics, over anything else. Performance numbers are nice, but if the entire package isn't well executed, then the car isn't too great to start with.

What do you all think? Do you think your C was a good value for the money? Looking back, would you have gone with another make & model to save a couple of dollars, get more options, and possibly lose a bit on the driving experience?

I love my C's, and don't give my purchase decision a second thought.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by W57thNY
My neighbor brought home a brand new 2015 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 FWD (AWD is an option with this motor) over the weekend. I happened to catch him outside, and we got to talking about cars (which inevitably led to talking about our cars).

He proceeded to ask me about the price of my car, and compare the equipment level, and options, and upon hearing that my car was about $3k more than his ($47k vs $44k), and tell me how he got a better value for the money (for that money he got navigation, THX sound, lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, radar based cruise control, 19" wheels - I do have to say though the front-wheel drive layout loses the MKZ major points).

I completely agreed with him on the value aspect, but the overall trade-off to save a bit of money didn't seem worth it to me. I bought my C250 because of the build quality, looks (I've loved the way the W204's have looked from the day I first saw the 2008's) and driving dynamics, over anything else. Performance numbers are nice, but if the entire package isn't well executed, then the car isn't too great to start with.

What do you all think? Do you think your C was a good value for the money? Looking back, would you have gone with another make & model to save a couple of dollars, get more options, and possibly lose a bit on the driving experience?

I love my C's, and don't give my purchase decision a second thought.
love my c300 but at the time I was tempted of just buying a fully loaded Honda accord v6 but the c300 handles so much better and looks killer.
yes its nicely put together on the other hand reliability on the Honda is of course incredible.
parts are much cheaper and I can do all repairs easily after warranty is over.
the Mercedes you best add all the warranty that's possible or loose your shirt .
Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
I definitely understand the build quality and style argument. I've loved both of my W204s and I've never driven anything that has that same vault-like, solid feel. My local hitch installer had a very hard time getting through the hardened-steel bumper to install my bike rack hitch -- I was proud. Numerous Nissans, Hondas, and Chevys he has installed racks on and never encountered a hardened steel bumper that ruined 10 of his drill bits. It's like riding in a safety deposit box.

As far as features for the money, all the German brands lose. They nickel-and-dime right up to the point where you're about to go with a Lexus or a Lincoln (I know those are very different price points); clever marketing, you can't deny it. Are we paying more for higher quality? I hope!

Last week sealed the deal for me. My first W204, a 2009 Lux, had motor mounts replaced, pulley replaced, driver's door lock actuator replaced (along with complete door panel and HK speakers -- probably dealer's bad), front struts replaced TWICE, and front seat bottom replaced (I'm 160lbs) -- all under 40k miles. I'm not finished...

My second W204, a 2013 Sport, fully-loaded with all the gizmos my 2009 didn't have and at a great price my dealer gave me for "trusting Benz again", just had its transmission valve body replaced and the turn signal isn't shutting off in hot weather. It's 1.5yrs old, <20k miles. My dealer's service department is great; they replaced the valve body and serviced the turn signal stalk, but WTF Benz! A $45k car at 1.5yrs needs a valve body? And yes, we tried the TCU firmware flash first for the crappy shifting.

My point is this: shop carefully. There is quality and there is reliability -- two different things. Benzs are top quality but, in my experience with the W204, low reliability. I still love my 2013 with its amazing HK stereo, but I'm getting a TLX next. I'm sick of being in loaner vehicles or the service department waiting room. If it takes a price hike for Benz to deliver both quality and reliability, I'm on board, but until the latter comes I've bought my last Benz.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
i think it's all about finding an Indy mechanic once you find that gem never let it go. Then you will never leave the MB family.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4MATIC Sport, 2011 Mercedes Benz R350 Bluetec, 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0L
My thought is that generally if you are shopping for vehicles in this class, it's more about whether or not the vehicle will satisfy your emotional rather than your rational side. Sure the Lincoln has more features but it is likely dull to drive. From a quote I once read, "It's not the miles per gallon that matter, it's the smiles per gallon that do." I think it was something like that
Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz445
My thought is that generally if you are shopping for vehicles in this class, it's more about whether or not the vehicle will satisfy your emotional rather than your rational side. Sure the Lincoln has more features but it is likely dull to drive. From a quote I once read, "It's not the miles per gallon that matter, it's the smiles per gallon that do." I think it was something like that
+1 on that quote hahaha
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by tekfoc
love my c300 but at the time I was tempted of just buying a fully loaded Honda accord v6 but the c300 handles so much better and looks killer.
yes its nicely put together on the other hand reliability on the Honda is of course incredible.
parts are much cheaper and I can do all repairs easily after warranty is over.
the Mercedes you best add all the warranty that's possible or loose your shirt .
This. My C300 handles and brakes so much better than the Acura we had. The Acura brakes would warp just looking at them. total POS.

And the handling comparatively left so much to be desired.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
I know from a reliability standpoint, the Accord, and Camry, are much better than my C's, but I just can't bring myself to get into one of these two everyday for about ten years (I keep my cars quite a while - my 2001 C is going on 15 years).

Neither one looks too bad, but there's nothing that stands out about either one. I've heard the Accord handles well though.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM

2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
Originally Posted by lrutt
This. My C300 handles and brakes so much better than the Acura we had. The Acura brakes would warp just looking at them. total POS.

And the handling comparatively left so much to be desired.
Which Acura model did you have? My wife's TSX brakes suck but the RLX, TLX, and new RDX models we've test driven have much better brakes.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Nobody turns their head for a Lincoln, unless they're looking for a cab.

Cost-effectively, my W204 lease and my wife's have been flawless (knock on wood) after 15k mi each. No problems, no repairs, fixed costs. They both look great, run great, are fun to drive and even though they were at one point "the baby Benz" I prefer their looks and driving style to the W205.

I'd say in terms of customer satisfaction my perception of value is pretty hard to top. I would venture to say that 50% of how people evaluate value is based on their perception of value rather than reality.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM

W204 C300 4Matic - R170 SLK230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
i think it's all about finding an Indy mechanic once you find that gem never let it go. Then you will never leave the MB family.
Lol so owning a mb is all about finding the best mechanic to fix it all the time. Whether your at an indy all the time or dealer it gets old. I like my w204. Time will tell if I love it.

The best owner for a mb is a mechanic and I'm ASE certified.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 PM

C
My first car was a slow and lazy 1985 W126, older than me at the time. Beautiful car. Sure it always had something broken and the roof was leaking, but it took me over 500k km and was pretty reliable. Until it burned down.

Now I have my third Benz, the first one I bought new. Starting with the "vintage" models made me really appreciate the Benz as a machine. I'm just getting used to taking the car to the shop for everything like an oil change rather than just doing it at home as with the classics. And getting used to paying the price.

Some people just don't get it. They say Audis are sportier, BMW has this and that, Benz makes you look old. Benz just has that certain style you don't get with another car like an Audi. It's quality and elegance, but in a more stylish way than a BMW.

If driving a Benz makes me old then call me grandpa because I'm a Benz guy all the way. Except if I can ever afford an Aston Martin.

So I don't know if I got my money's worth equipment-wise buying this car, but I'm happy driving it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
I love benz because of the way it drives and the precision it has, not because the features it has. I would go to Kia / Hyundai for most features/$$$ honestly if that's the only think I'm looking for I got the blind spot and keyless go, that's all I need for now! I can use an external gps and change speakers. That should be enough for me.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I find few cars are build as solid as a Mercedes-Benz. Not saying they're perfect - the door panels on my '12 C350 make me want to pull my hair out - but they are more solidly built than most other cars on the road. That is a good feeling.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by W57thNY
Performance numbers are nice, but if the entire package isn't well executed, then the car isn't too great to start with.

What do you all think? Do you think your C was a good value for the money?
I try to always purchase based on value (at least what my perception of value is) and this W204 C350 purchase is no exception. Before pulling the trigger I compared it to...

Lexus IS350
Infinity G37
BMW 328/335
Buick Regal GS
Cadillac CTS
Audi A4

The 2nd gen MKZ wasn't out at the time or I would of looked into that too (although I already did after the fact). While each had their own advantages and quirks, in the end you already stated what I concluded to, and is also what most car mags also concludes to as well. I chose based on what I thought was the best OVERALL package as a daily driver. The G37 was very close to getting my vote, however as my wife pointed out, the interior fit and finish was just not there, and my initial BMW dealer experience was so poor I didn't bother to give them a 2nd chance.

I also didn't consider anything in the Honda/Acura family simply because I was just coming out of one and wanted to try something different.

I do admit though, that when the time comes to retire my W204, I will be looking into the same list again, but this time I'm rooting for the underdogs. (No FWD cars though)

Last edited by edgalang; 06-09-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FknBoss
Lol so owning a mb is all about finding the best mechanic to fix it all the time. Whether your at an indy all the time or dealer it gets old. I like my w204. Time will tell if I love it.

The best owner for a mb is a mechanic and I'm ASE certified.
Yes lol because when it breaks if you go to the dealer you will be left broke and very sad driving the ugly camery and accord in the pictures above. Plus you don't want to wait 3 weeks to get your ride fixed it usually take that long to get an appointment with a loner car its a joke.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I've owned Mercedes going back to my first one out of college in 1972. To me it's not only the car, which I've always found rock solid, but also the dealer experience. I've bought my last 5 from the same salesman and it's been a very stress free experience. As a repeat customer I never have to worry about a loaner car. If they have run out of their own, they will get one from the local Enterprise office (has happened only twice).

My parents were in a very bad accident in their S class and while it totaled both their car and the huge motor home that pulled out in front of them, they were able to open their doors and get out of the car with very minor injuries. My dad broke a bone in his hand and my mom had bruised ribs. To me you can't put a price on that.

The only car I had multiple problems with was a W220. I didn't keep it long and a lot of people had problems with theirs. That was a dark period for MB in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM

'09 C350
That's why I never buy new cars. Especially something like a benz. All the options bring the price way up, that it makes no sense financially. For about 70% of the price of a new base model, I can get a couple of years old, fully loaded top model. Nothing depreciates faster than a brand new, fully optioned luxury vehicle. If you want to drive an appliance, just lease something cheap. If you get the right deal, you can get a short 24 month lease that at the end will be cheaper than buying the car taking the depreciation and selling it in 2 years.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:29 PM

W204 C300 4Matic - R170 SLK230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by vipsa
That's why I never buy new cars. Especially something like a benz. All the options bring the price way up, that it makes no sense financially. For about 70% of the price of a new base model, I can get a couple of years old, fully loaded top model. Nothing depreciates faster than a brand new, fully optioned luxury vehicle. If you want to drive an appliance, just lease something cheap. If you get the right deal, you can get a short 24 month lease that at the end will be cheaper than buying the car taking the depreciation and selling it in 2 years.
100% agree with you. I bought my 4matic c300 for a useable car and waited 2 years til I found the right one optioned like I wanted in a price range I wanted. I have a lease on a 15 corolla s the "appliance" and I have a cummins work horse and the slk for nice days got all the bases covered
Old 06-10-2015, 04:45 PM

2016 Mercedes C300W4
I'm new to the Mercedes world but when I think of Mercedes I don't necessarily think of "value". I think of "luxury" and associated with that is typically a high price tag. I don't know that I would necessarily buy one brand new, but maybe one a year or two old with some depreciation taken out of it. Mine is an employee lease through work which is an awesome deal so it was a no brainer, but buying one would be a different story for me I think. Every new car depreciates quite a bit in the first 2-3 years, it seems the higher end luxury models even more so.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 PM

'11 w204 c300 sport
For me it has been about the value. I bought a 2011 c300 sport with 30k miles on it at 1 year old. I ran out the warranty a couple of years ago and have 90k miles on it now. I've been driving it like I want to kill it the whole time and have had 0 problems. Easiest oil changes and spark plug changes I've ever done on any car.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Good to see similar thinking: I used the CPO approach - with first two payments credited plus the first two services comp'd.

I have been quite impressed with the fuel numbers, the Consumer Reports reliability (lots of SOLID red dots) and the flawless 4,000 miles since purchase.

As others here have indicated, I have a second - a diesel wagon - vehicle. The little coupe provides a nice change of pace.

ez
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 AM

'11 w204 c300 sport
Originally Posted by ezshift5
Good to see similar thinking: I used the CPO approach - with first two payments credited plus the first two services comp'd.

I have been quite impressed with the fuel numbers, the Consumer Reports reliability (lots of SOLID red dots) and the flawless 4,000 miles since purchase.

As others here have indicated, I have a second - a diesel wagon - vehicle. The little coupe provides a nice change of pace.

ez
I agree with you on the fuel numbers. I do a lot of road trips and on a 500 mile trip with wife, kids and fully loaded trunk we take at least twice a year, I get 29-30 mpg. City is ~21 or 22 when I'm not driving like a maniac.

Nothing compared to the second vehicle (diesel wagon, lol) we just bought recently but way better than the EPA estimates.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c350 Coupe
In my opinion, if you're shopping in a C-class budget, they're tough to beat. I just can't see myself spending $40k on a Lexus, BMW, Infinity, Audi, much less a Lincoln or Cadillac. The MB look is more classic in my opinion, and as someone who generally likes to keep a car for 6-8 years, I wouldn't trust any of those cars to last me that long, especially the American models. If I'm leasing with the intention to return it and get a new vehicle every 3-4 years, then why not - there's little to no risk to you if things start to fall apart, or start to look ugly after a few years. BMW's are notorious for that IMO - they're all about the front lights and grille, and as soon a new model is out, the previous model looks horrible.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by xtsallad
I agree with you on the fuel numbers.

Nothing compared to the second vehicle (diesel wagon, lol) we just bought recently but way better than the EPA estimates.

My diesel wagon - odometer circa 25,500 - has averaged 44.1 (per Fuelly.com).

The little Iridium coupe is somewhat less.

The 1.8 turbo did set the bar recently during a trip to Pebble Beach. Over 400 miles - calc'd 34.8 in very relaxed driving.

best, ez