MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Accident fixable or totaled? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/592489-accident-fixable-totaled.html)

kenju4u 07-10-2015 07:26 PM

Accident fixable or totaled?

Got rear ended yesterday on the highway. Everyone is fine, the front head rests popped out to protect from a whipblast. My daughter in the rear car seat was shook up but fine.

On the dashboard few airbag messages came on something about rear right airbag malfunction, front passenger side airbag malfunction requires service.

Anyway picture is a 1000 words. Let me know what you guys think. Is this fixable or is my insurance company going to total this?

Any advice is be appreciated.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c16a45e3f1.jpg

Rear ended on highway

MB Marko 07-10-2015 07:56 PM

possible frame damage could be a totalled glad to hear your all ok thats the most important thing!

babyboxer1 07-10-2015 08:59 PM

Sorry for your bad luck, but glad everyone was able to walk away unharmed. The body of the vehicle isn't on a separate frame (for example a Ford F150), so it's easier to repair because it's a single shell. Definitely fixable, and it's been a while since my bodyworking days, but if the accident repair cost is a certain % compared to the vehicle's value, they will total the car. From the sounds of it, no airbags have gone off, but it did trigger some sensors. They will likely shop around for aftermarket and/or 2nd hand parts, they will need to chain pull the body back, paint about 1/3 to 1/2 of the car. There's also a ton of clips and supports that will need to be replaced, and I'm sure there's collateral damage we don't see. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it'll probably be totaled or it'll be very close. Best of luck, let us know how it works out.

Also, I don't know if your insurance laws are different (I'm assuming you are in the US), but if it's repairable, your insurance will recommend a place for you to get the repair done. That generally means that they get the best rates from that particular garage. Here in Canada however, you are still allowed to take it to any garage of your choice to get the repair done.

bawareca 07-10-2015 09:12 PM

Glad you and the daughter are Ok.
According to my long time experience with insurance companies your car is on the edge between being repaired and totalled, but my bet goes for a total loss.

kenju4u 07-11-2015 04:31 AM

Wow seems like everyone thinks it's totaled. I am hoping it's not because the car was in perfect running and looking condition. Even though I bought it CPO 3 years ago it feels like I just got it. I had only 50K miles on it. It is fully paid for.

If they do order repair I plan on getting it done with MB collision cwntwr with original parts.

Let's say though that is totaled. Do insurance companies low ball the full price or do they pay fairly?

MB Marko 07-11-2015 08:55 AM

Ive had one totalled car in my life and they royal ****ed me the car was selling for 7500$ they gave me 2500$ It's literally low end they gave me when the car was mint for its age no rust mint paint ect it was immaculate. they usually give low end and theres basically no way to fight it. But every insurance company is different hope you have better luck than I did in the past

babyboxer1 07-11-2015 08:59 AM

My feeling and again from bodywork days, the insurance company will argue that your car is a few years older now, so no sense in replacing with OEM parts, etc. You can negotiate with them - if they insist that they're offering X amount for aftermarket parts only, you can offer to pay the difference to pay for OEM parts. Now that you need them, you will see their true colors, especially if you deal with a broker. If you don't, it gets even more complicated.

Bottom line, it's just a business for them - they don't care about your car. They will pay the lesser between totaling your car by undervaluing it, or the cost to repair by cutting in every possible area.

Where I live, they just go with something like KBB (which isn't great and doesn't consider your own vehicle's condition) when assessing your car's value and always find a way to go below that. Unless you've had other things specifically added to your insurance that you've been paying for (expensive audio system, rims), they don't consider those either.

MB Marko 07-11-2015 09:05 AM

hey one thing i learned and forgot to mention is you can buy the car from the insurance when its totalled. find out what they will give you dollar wise for the whole car and how much if you want to keep the car you can use it as a parts car if you buy the same model or just part it out yourself and make more money if you have time.

kenju4u 07-11-2015 09:14 AM

Thanks guys. This is very depressing, my wife is in tears thinking we are gonna loose the car. She is pretty attached to it. I understand how these things work and after owning so many cars over the years am not as attached. I am just glad my family and I came out of this unharmed.

I live in Connecticut which also provides arbitrators for auto related issues. My insurance company is Gieco. They have been good so far so hoping for a good outcome. Will keep my fingers crossed and will update you all once I talk to the adjuster.

bawareca 07-11-2015 09:18 AM

If you really like your car and it is in good condition, you can buy it back and fix it with a reputable shop with used and new OEM parts. There is nothing wrong with a 5 years old trunk lid that has not been in accident and it has not seen show. You will put a few grand in your pocket and when/if you decide to sell it few years later, the difference in the value will not be substantial.

babyboxer1 07-11-2015 11:00 AM

I agree with bawareca in regards to used parts. Aftermarket parts though, they just never seemed to fit right. From what I see in the picture, it can definitely be repaired without you running into issues later on. It's just a matter of how cut-throat your insurance will be and whether they pay you enough to get it back in the great condition you kept it, or how much you're willing to invest out of pocket if they won't cover the whole repair.

Once the trunk, tail light and bumper come off, and a body pull has been done, the car will look so much more ready to get back on the road again. The pulling process is precise, they have rods to measure and maybe even lasers today to ensure every inch of the car has been pulled back to the factory dimensions.

It helps a little more if you have a broker, and even if you don't, stay polite and objective with them. If you have multiple assets insured with them, use that in your negotiation, if you haven't made any/many claims in X amount of years, no at-fault accidents, the fact that you kept your car in immaculate condition, etc etc. These are all things that can only help to sway them into giving you a better settlement.

TonyRome 07-11-2015 07:20 PM

Unfortunately, I think the insurance will total out the car. There's A LOT of metal and body work to be done. My guess is you're looking at about $15-20K in work. My 5-series bimmer was hit in the front by a deer. The accident only affected the hood, Left headlight, and LF fender. The car ran and drove fine after the hit. Guess what, TOTALED. I was LIVID. I got a fair payout, but that car was VERY repairable.

LogicalApex 07-12-2015 12:44 AM

I had similar damage in my 2013 C300 last year.

http://imgur.com/a/7AVex

Insurance company totaled the car and paid me more than I paid for it as they valued it at about $5K more than I paid for it a few months prior.

So my guess is it is totaled. But I am very glad you and your family are all OK!

My insurance company is Liberty Mutual which is great as I learned after the accident that I can use MB body shops and am guaranteed all OEM Mercedes on all repairs and they are guaranteed for life. Even though I didn't get my policy via MB.

I don't know if that relationship between Liberty and Mercedes also enhanced their totaling decision (in that OEM MB parts aren't cheap).

I do remember the appraiser cited $27K in damage to my car which I had already had moved to a MB dealership for OEM repairs.

rookiezxc 07-12-2015 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by LogicalApex (Post 6493855)
I had similar damage in my 2013 C300 last year.

http://imgur.com/a/7AVex

Insurance company totaled the car and paid me more than I paid for it as they valued it at about $5K more than I paid for it a few months prior.

So my guess is it is totaled. But I am very glad you and your family are all OK!

My insurance company is Liberty Mutual which is great as I learned after the accident that I can use MB body shops and am guaranteed all OEM Mercedes on all repairs and they are guaranteed for life. Even though I didn't get my policy via MB.

I don't know if that relationship between Liberty and Mercedes also enhanced their totaling decision (in that OEM MB parts aren't cheap).

I do remember the appraiser cited $27K in damage to my car which I had already had moved to a MB dealership for OEM repairs.

Your car seemed to have mechanical damage on the rear axle though.

BlankProc 07-12-2015 07:03 AM

This car is totaled, no doubt about it. Shame as it was a great looking C. But most importantly, everyone is OK - it went out the right way - and that makes me feel better about my wife driving one!

xoxbribri 07-13-2015 09:16 AM

I remember driving by this accident! I was headed towards Connecticut Ave. Anyway, glad you and your daughter are okay. Now I showed this picture to a friend who has been in the auto body business for years and he said from experience it looks like a total loss.

kenju4u 07-13-2015 07:24 PM

Update: I was told car is totaled. Adjuster estimates total damage to be $19,000. He said the whole left side has been damaged and would need to be replaced. Would take over a month of work.

I asked about keeping the car but he said in CT its very difficult to get it re-certified for road.

I am not too happy with the amount he offered but its not terrible either. He asked me to send him details of the options that were on the car plus listings from online which shows higher prices.

Will most likely buy another C...my wife is in tears.

MB Marko 07-13-2015 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by kenju4u (Post 6495529)
Update: I was told car is totaled. Adjuster estimates total damage to be $19,000. He said the whole left side has been damaged and would need to be replaced. Would take over a month of work.

I asked about keeping the car but he said in CT its very difficult to get it re-certified for road.

I am not too happy with the amount he offered but its not terrible either. He asked me to send him details of the options that were on the car plus listings from online which shows higher prices.

Will most likely buy another C...my wife is in tears.

thats lower end. ya get listing of ones that are same KM and higher prices and get lots of them because if you send more they will most likely move up there price. good luck. again health is most important you can always buy another car.

babyboxer1 07-13-2015 08:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your MB Kenju, but cars are replaceable! I'm sure you'll miss your car, but once your claim is settled, you can get another :)

kenju4u 07-13-2015 08:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I agree. I keep saying that to myself as well....

ChuckinTucson 07-13-2015 08:21 PM

My sister-in-law totalled her C a few weeks ago. The insurance company wanted a list of what options the car had. She went on line and found several for sale nearby and submitted them to her insurance company as to what the value should be. They came within a couple hundred bucks, and also added sales tax and the unused portion of her registration. She had it insured with Progressive. YMMV

kenju4u 07-13-2015 11:52 PM

Ya let's see I did the same. Hope that helps me get some more money than they offered initially.

onceover 01-28-2019 11:44 AM

I wouldn't really want the car after damage like that. You'll be better off if it gets written off I think.

kenju4u 01-28-2019 12:07 PM

Old story but to close it out. I ended up buying a newer C after the settlement. Here are some pics. Still have it and enjoy driving it everyday!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...705401efc0.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d41d210976.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e282ff6af4.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...faaed7c4f7.jpg

Kelvin Bellrose 01-28-2019 09:47 PM

Glad you came back, I've been here since 2015 waiting.

Sweet c BTW.