MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   MARS RED paint bubbles and whiteness on C300 sports edition (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/608364-mars-red-paint-bubbles-whiteness-c300-sports-edition.html)

shotgun_banjo 12-29-2015 05:27 PM

Just wondering how many Mars Red cars are affected by this......

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo (Post 6658599)

I am thinking of filing a petition. I had a disgraceful response from Mercedes hq stating that They are repainting the car and that is as far as they will go event hough they know the paint quality might not match the paint on a car that is painted by a robot under controlled conditions in the factory. They seriously told me they could not help me out. They fail to realize that this warranty defect affects the resale value of the car

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:18 AM

I am surprised why a defected paint brand is continuously being used after so many complaints have arised.

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:21 AM

My mom has a Mazda red, my uncle has a BMW 5 series in red and another friend owns a red audi, none have these issues or complaints and these cars are 2012 or older.

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:32 AM

Just a heads up for new buyers buying benz. Colors not to buy:

Mars red or Opal fire red known in some places
Black

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:38 AM

White has also had clear coat peeling complaints

Skazmi 12-31-2015 09:40 AM

I have seen complaints for blue too online.

Alfadude 12-31-2015 11:39 AM

JP and Skazmi, have either of you discussed with the dealer about them replacing your car with a similar 2014 car as opposed to replacing it with a brand new car? If so, what did they say they would or wouldn't do?

Skazmi 12-31-2015 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude (Post 6660382)
JP and Skazmi, have either of you discussed with the dealer about them replacing your car with a similar 2014 car as opposed to replacing it with a brand new car? If so, what did they say they would or wouldn't do?

Yes I did not ask for a new car. Same specs model with similar miles even if used. But they refused saying their paint job is the only thing they could provide even though they understand the fact that it is not painted as it is painted when it comes from a factory.

Skazmi 12-31-2015 12:37 PM

All they said was that they were sorry and they could not help at all which is the most disappointed customer service response I have seen in this decade.

Alfadude 12-31-2015 12:53 PM

Man, it me that really sucks as replacing the car with something equivalent that wasn't repainted seems very fair. Well, at least to me it does. I understand they feel they are correcting the problem and going forward you should not have a repeat of the issue, so they are "making you whole", so to speak. On the other hand, I would think anyone expecting a brand new car for that trouble is way overboard. But unless that is one hell of a paint job I can't imagine a sharp eyed car buyer not being able to tell it was repainted. And it certainly would be obvious to anyone in the car business it was repainted. I would have to think that would devalue the car once it would be time to trade it in, so through no fault of your own you are losing some value to your purchase.

I hope it works out for you in the end.

JP5757 12-31-2015 01:05 PM

More disappointment

Originally Posted by Skazmi (Post 6660439)
Yes I did not ask for a new car. Same specs model with similar miles even if used. But they refused saying their paint job is the only thing they could provide even though they understand the fact that it is not painted as it is painted when it comes from a factory.

We spent much of our holiday dealing with Mercedes Benz corporate, local dealerships, etc and were constantly beaten back down to a repaint. There are rumors of a recall but this is different from a mechanical defect. In this case the value of the car is greatly diminished. They offered us half as much as we paid last year with $8k incentive. I would happily take a replacement car of same year but they insist on repainting the car and extending the warranty an additional 25k miles. We asked for this in writing and in the write up they said that they might do this rather than that they will. Being a car and racing enthusiast and a mechanic, I find this to disgraceful and unacceptable of Mercedes Benz. The biggest problem is that there is a tsb for this paint problem for Mars red, that existed prior to these cars' manufacture or sale; yet Mercedes Benz still sold the defective cars.

Skazmi 12-31-2015 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JP5757 (Post 6660466)
We spent much of our holiday dealing with Mercedes Benz corporate, local dealerships, etc and were constantly beaten back down to a repaint. There are rumors of a recall but this is different from a mechanical defect. In this case the value of the car is greatly diminished. They offered us half as much as we paid last year with $8k incentive. I would happily take a replacement car of same year but they insist on repainting the car and extending the warranty an additional 25k miles. We asked for this in writing and in the write up they said that they might do this rather than that they will. Being a car and racing enthusiast and a mechanic, I find this to disgraceful and unacceptable of Mercedes Benz. The biggest problem is that there is a tsb for this paint problem for Mars red, that existed prior to these cars' manufacture or sale; yet Mercedes Benz still sold the defective cars.

Exactly what I don't get too that why they applied the defective paint to the cars. I am thinking of filing a petition on behalf of owners who are seeing th3se issues and Mercedes not being questioned on why they sold it in the first place.

JP5757 12-31-2015 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Skazmi (Post 6660527)
Exactly what I don't get too that why they applied the defective paint to the cars. I am thinking of filing a petition on behalf of owners who are seeing th3se issues and Mercedes not being questioned on why they sold it in the first place.

I agree with you. A petition or protesting a dealership or going to the news would expose their behavior. We haven't gone the litigation route yet but have been extremely persistent. I feel bad for those that just take it. The "widowed grandmother". They might charge her for the paint job! I did see a late model mb in Charleston SC that was sporting primer. Perhaps it was previously Mars red or Black!

JP5757 12-31-2015 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude (Post 6660459)
Man, it me that really sucks as replacing the car with something equivalent that wasn't repainted seems very fair. Well, at least to me it does. I understand they feel they are correcting the problem and going forward you should not have a repeat of the issue, so they are "making you whole", so to speak. On the other hand, I would think anyone expecting a brand new car for that trouble is way overboard. But unless that is one hell of a paint job I can't imagine a sharp eyed car buyer not being able to tell it was repainted. And it certainly would be obvious to anyone in the car business it was repainted. I would have to think that would devalue the car once it would be time to trade it in, so through no fault of your own you are losing some value to your purchase.

I hope it works out for you in the end.

I agree with you on all counts. In the car business we use paint meters in addition to the trained eye. The paint meter detects the thickness and consistency of paint. As good as a job as one hand spraying it would not pass the meter check that dealers all have in their pockets when at sale. And does anyone besides me have a problem with mb keeping this major repaint off car fax? Deceitful ?

JP5757 12-31-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skazmi (Post 6660439)

I would definitely take a 2014. Just not red or black haha. They want to paint and give loaner car as it takes about 5 weeks.

Yidney 12-31-2015 04:24 PM

Skazmi,

How is your car coming along since it was already in the booth several says ago?

I'm a lawyer, and I can think of a whole lot of issues that would be raised in any sort of formal proceeding, but it seems to me the key question - assuming paint is in fact a warranty issue - is the extent of MB's legal obligation to address a defect of that sort. In other words, what is a legally-sufficient "fix." In most cases it's a new part. Paint is one case where "new" is not as good as original. Any mechanical part is as good at new. But paint is not. Without research, I cannot answer my own question. But I would be very surprised (shocked, actually) if another car, new or used, is an obligation. I'd also be surprised (but not quite as shocked) if paying for diminished value is legally a part of warranty coverage. MB knows they have lost you as a customer. At some point this is probably more aggravation to your life than it's worth. But I want to stress one point - arguing that aftermarket paint is not as good as factory paint is an argument you will probably lose. But that is a totally different issue to me than actual, visible defects in the new paint job. This has to be a top notch job. Inspect it for as long as takes before you accept it. If it has defects, then you have something to argue about.

95Sinned420 12-31-2015 04:37 PM

What is wrong with 040 Black? My car is black and does not suffer from this clear coat peeling issue. The only thing is the roof trims peeling, which all w204s have.

Skazmi 01-01-2016 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95Sinned420 (Post 6660759)
What is wrong with 040 Black? My car is black and does not suffer from this clear coat peeling issue. The only thing is the roof trims peeling, which all w204s have.

There is nothing wrong with your black but per discussiobs, complaints and released bullittens, complains have been heard in that color so it is a fair warning for new buyers as I would not want any enthusiast to go through what I am going through.

Skazmi 01-08-2016 12:07 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...077de68888.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8ffbd098f4.jpg

Final product. Got it yesterday. The rear trunk has not been done in the right way. Car will go in again next week.

JP5757 01-08-2016 11:17 AM

Mars red paint

We have experienced very poor customer service. They sold us a Mars red car knowing there were problems with it. We would have taken same year same body style car exchange but they said we would have to do it as trade and it would depend on our trade in value haha. One place told us additional 18k. At this point we are waiting for its paint date and without a car. MB won't even give us a loaner or rental until it goes in shop in 3 weeks and that is unclear as well. 45 dollars a day is what they said towards a rental and to keep our receipts. This has been a disgrace. And so much time wasted. The pressure on MB case managers is coming from top down-upper management. They are just receptionist that do MB dirty work. They have promised certain things and then not delivered. The said re paint would have some kind of warranty and then reneged on statement. The shop told us MB said to only paint panels affected. You know what that means??? Wow. Good luck to all. I feel bad for all of you and those to come with their paint falling off their new cars. I went into another MBdealership yesterday and he said with repaint he wouldn't give even close to the trade in value from up north and really pushed us to buy new car. Again disgraceful.

TIHarris 01-08-2016 02:35 PM

Exact same issue discovered a few days ago

I noticed the exact same thing a few days ago....first the bubbles and then the white patches popped up all over the sides, top, and back of my 2011 GLK-350. I took it in because someone had rubbed it a little in a parking lot and the clear coat started peeling off. When the clear coat started peeling off the door I really got concerned. I had Mercedes give me an estimate during a return "B" service and they said they would just have to buff the rub and replace the clear coat for $350. I really hope they had no idea about this and that they just didn't tell me. I took it in today to find out what the heck the white patches are all over and was told that something wasn't right and that I should take it to the service department for them to look into. I'm waiting a response from them now but I'm sooo glad that I googled the problem. Good luck everyone!!! I love the Mars Red, no other car looks like it but if this is the problem they can give me a black paintjob

JP5757 01-08-2016 03:17 PM

Mars red

Originally Posted by TIHarris (Post 6669373)
I noticed the exact same thing a few days ago....first the bubbles and then the white patches popped up all over the sides, top, and back of my 2011 GLK-350. I took it in because someone had rubbed it a little in a parking lot and the clear coat started peeling off. When the clear coat started peeling off the door I really got concerned. I had Mercedes give me an estimate during a return "B" service and they said they would just have to buff the rub and replace the clear coat for $350. I really hope they had no idea about this and that they just didn't tell me. I took it in today to find out what the heck the white patches are all over and was told that something wasn't right and that I should take it to the service department for them to look into. I'm waiting a response from them now but I'm sooo glad that I googled the problem. Good luck everyone!!! I love the Mars Red, no other car looks like it but if this is the problem they can give me a black paintjob

You need to call customer care and they will assign you a case manager. The new repaint depending on quality of shop will be same color but without the moisture between the paint and clear coat. I wish you the best. Long journey. You have to push or they will blow you off really quickly...if you let them. I agree with the petition.

Skazmi 01-08-2016 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo (Post 6649228)
That is the reason why I strongly stresses to the OP to document the entire procedure as I have a feeling things will not look the same. If it is my car and if the entire paint needs to be stripped I am talking first to MB corporate first regarding compensation before the procedure will be done as guaranteed workmanship will not be the same compared to factory done paint job. If they are just doing a panel I think that is fine but if they are stripping the entire car it is a whole different ball game. I just saw 2 mars red being sold at a MB dealership yesterday and one of the cars has this problem and my salesman told me to stay away from it.

Good luck with that. Benz will not compensate you with money since they already have a bulletin out there for the paint. No company would consider loss first. But that said, it is impossible to get perfect coat quality unless they outsource the paint job to one of the best in the market which they barely do. I have moved over the thought of owning a Benz anymore aND I have told people I know not to consider some specific colors in Benz which are a problem but benz, instead of changing the color formula, company, combination and mix has continued to sell their cars which in my view is a direct cheating like VW did on diesel emissions as when they know the paint has so many defects, they should address that and stop selling such paint cars to its users. Same is the case for their windshield qualities which is worse than any German car I have seen on the road. The glass will Crack with a very small hit.

Skazmi 01-08-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by TIHarris (Post 6669373)

I don't suggest calling customer care as they are the most useless bunch of people Mercedes has. I suggest you take the bulletin ID along with this forum details to them and tell them that this peeling issue is a known paint issue. Customer care will only say that paint defects are not covered. I have gone through them. Get an appointment with a dealership, visit at least 2. Show them the car and take their opinion. They will surely repaint and be ready to expect poor quality at places if you are a car enthusiast and really care about your car's paint bring original. If not, you might get some scratches removed.