C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Has anyone actually put a decent sound system in their w204?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W126 500SEC (Monster, heavily modified) MY10 C200 CGI (Daily)
Has anyone actually put a decent sound system in their w204?

Looking on the internet, I haven't found a single picture of a 204 with even an aftermarket head unit, I understand it would be hard to get a nice looking replacement facia panel for the dash and also the separate screen up the top doesn't help (audio20).
I have a high end sound system from head units to amplifiers and a sub in my C126, now that I have this second car as my daily, it would be nice to have some decent customisation like a good 7 band equalizer, otherwise there is no point even changing the factory speakers out as the gains would be too minimal.

Any like minded people here? My 204 is lovely but doesn't seem too easy to get the sound system the way I like. The stealership quoted me $10,000 for Comand, and that wont even be that good of an upgrade.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
I have seen a good looking fascia for a double DIN, the only thing is that it doesn't account for the seat heater buttons so you wou would have to relocate them, and any other buttons your car has down there... I don't think a single DIN would look very good.

As for the screen- I have seen two types of replacements one is just a slightly larger touch screen that still fits in the stock audio20 housing, the second is a larger touch screen like 7 or 8 inches that run windows or android but with the bigger size it fully replaces the audio20 housing and it does not fold away which I personally don't care for.

I've been thinking about what to do with my audio20 as well a couple ideas have popped into my head, so I'll just ramble off- Double DIN unit, remove ash tray and cig lighter make a flat panel to drop in place where the cover will still work and hat's where I would mount the seat heater buttons with a usb and an aux port for the new head unit.

Using a double DIN having a second screen could be awkward but here's two options I was thinking about:
- Easy: Use the stock housing for storage or a cell phone mount.

- Somewhat difficult: Replace the screen with one that still fits in the stock housing and use that screen with a RaspberryPi for some digital gauges.

Keep me posted on what you end up doing, because I haven't seen many options.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Assuming that you have already seen this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html

Comand would have to come with the Harman Kardon sound system for "decent" audio, however remember that the rear sub amp is driven by fiber optic. The whole retrofit is complicated, it's more cost effective to just sell the current W204 and buy a newer C Class with the system installed. Had considered this for myself, especially MY 2012-14.

If the HK system is NOT "decent" in your criteria, then check out the interface boxes plus the speakers and amps from JL Audio (owned by my in.-laws, actually). Here's the link:
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-oem-interface.

Remember that Bluetooth streaming of Spotify follows the rule: "Garbage In, Garbage Out".
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sedan
I want to see someone do some audio modifications also. I've been thinking of doing some audio mods in my car, there's not much more I can do with the exterior, so I figure adding some bling to the interior is in order. Someone give us some inspiration!