C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Just204
No need to be that mean man lol. A lot of people out there don't realize the tech that goes into something that looks so simple. Unless Mann or any other aftermarket filter brand comes out with documentation showing same composition, same flow rates, same filtration effectiveness to particle size, and same break down resistance, I'll go and buy the OEM filter.

FYI, almost gurranty OEM filters are synthetic fiber....
Precisely and that's why I do the same.

Just because two strawberries look the same doesn't mean they are. Just like two planes may look the same with both having 2 engines, but doesn't mean they are identical
Old 05-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Precisely and that's why I do the same.

Just because two strawberries look the same doesn't mean they are. Just like two planes may look the same with both having 2 engines, but doesn't mean they are identical
Thus the reason some people hate Chinese counterfeits lol. Look almost identical but aren't..
Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Thus the reason some people hate Chinese counterfeits lol. Look almost identical but aren't..
I'm Asian and I approve of this message
Old 05-08-2017, 01:37 PM

I'm Asian and I approve of this message
LMFAO!!!! I know your Asian, but that is hilarious to hear that from you...
Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
LMFAO!!!! I know your Asian, but that is hilarious to hear that from you...
Why? We're a race which looks almost entirely identical As a result, we're good at imitating stuff, and trust me, imitation is not a form of flattery
Old 05-08-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Why? We're a race which looks almost entirely identical As a result, we're good at imitating stuff, and trust me, imitation is not a form of flattery
So, does that mean you are good AT imitating things, but not good in USING them?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
So, does that mean you are good AT imitating things, but not good in USING them?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
^
Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
The problem is that you can't prove the dealer oil filter is exactly the same as the Mann filter. - and my car is still under warranty so i'm not going to chance* a denial for an engine failure claim.

MB can't deny you a warranty claim since the Mann filter is made for the MB C -Class in this case.

I buy the Mann filter since it is $15 CAD opposed to $30 CAD at the MB dealer for pretty much the same darn thing. A couple pleats less on the Mann would not bother me one bit. I have both at home and will count pleats later if I remember.

I also compared Mann to MB on the cabin filter and went with Mann. Close enough, fit is perfect and it does what it is supposed to do. Again about half the price on Amazon compared to buying at the dealer.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Colin G
MB can't deny you a warranty claim since the Mann filter is made for the MB C -Class in this case.

I buy the Mann filter since it is $15 CAD opposed to $30 CAD at the MB dealer for pretty much the same darn thing. A couple pleats less on the Mann would not bother me one bit. I have both at home and will count pleats later if I remember.

I also compared Mann to MB on the cabin filter and went with Mann. Close enough, fit is perfect and it does what it is supposed to do. Again about half the price on Amazon compared to buying at the dealer.
I have it directly from Mercedes Benz Canada that failure to use genuine parts, (even in this case when I specifically bring up using a MANN filter) may result in a warranty denial. (and according to them, they HAVE denied claims when I asked about the specific question about using a non genuine part oil filter made by MANN for the C class).

If you choose to appeal I'm sure you can do so once you get the courts involved, but then MB will have to prove that the part that you used did not live up to their testing and their guidelines for a genuine part.

I'm sure you'd win if you went all the way but over a $3 savings? My time is worth far far more than that.(let alone the fact that I will try and remove headaches in life) *

*As I mentioned in another thread, I can get MB genuine parts very easily so yes, if it's a pain to source OEM parts I can see why that is the case for some members, but it literally is a question of if I want to save $3 or whatever by using a non OEM part, and since my vehicle is under EDW, I'll stay with Genuine parts.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
When was the last time anyone read about an engine failure that was caused by a non-OEM filter? I would venture to guess never. I'm not talking about something purchased at the dollar store or a roll of toilet paper, but a brand name one that would be listed in a reference book at an auto parts store as compatible with our cars. Kind of reminds me of those "what oil is "best" threads.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
When was the last time anyone read about an engine failure that was caused by a non-OEM filter? I would venture to guess never. I'm not talking about something purchased at the dollar store or a roll of toilet paper, but a brand name one that would be listed in a reference book at an auto parts store as compatible with our cars. Kind of reminds me of those "what oil is "best" threads.
I'm just the messenger.

Plenty of cases on the web with failed oil filters/collapsed filters from people using non OEM parts though.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Non OEM Filters killing motors has been proven many times...
Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I e-mailed Mann about their filter and the OEM Mercedes ones being the same. They did not say yes it is exactly the same but they did not tell me it was not either. Basically if you use a paper filter element then your warranty could be void. Use one made for synthetic oils and you are ok.

DearColin,

Thankyou for buying HU 718/5 x oil filter. Please see below the explanationwhich may answer your question.

Worldwide fits non-woven oil filter element

Modernoil filter elements must meet the following demands:

• new fully-synthetic, aggressive oils
  • changes in fuel quality
  • extended, flexible service intervals
  • different engine operating conditions
  • vehicles are used worldwide under extremely different conditions

Thefirst fully synthetic oil filter element is a world sensation and is used inthe OEM and OES sector for Mercedes-Benz in 6, 8 and 12 cylinder gasolineengines. The MANN-FILTER non-woven oil filter HU 718/5 x superseded throughfollowing new OE number: 000 180 26 09.

Thecellulose-based filters are no longer available from Mercedes-Benz. Only ifusing the non-woven oil filter element, the full warranty exists.

Mitfreundlichen Grüßen,

Withkind regards,

AndreasLieb

LogisticsManager Independent Aftermarket/Logistics Automotive Aftermarket

Last edited by Colin G; 05-09-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
I've been on this forum over a year and a half and for about 7 years before that I was on Jaguar Forums when I had my X-Type and I have never seen someone post their engine blew and it was traced to a non-OEM oil filter or even a collapsed filter. And I bet the majority of members on here that do not take their car to a Mercedes dealer use non-OEM filters. All I'm saying is you aren't harming your engine or reducing its longevity by using a quality non-OEM filter approved for use in your car. And I don't think you are extending the life of it either by using an OEM filter. A quality filter is a quality filter. OEM is not necessarily the be all and end all. Just because it is OEM does not mean it is the "best" part. Often times there are equivalent or even superior aftermarket products. Things like brake pads, rotors, bushings, suspension pieces, lighting, etc. Or like the plastic shaft on the rotary knob that seems to have a tendency to break. You can buy an aftermarket metal part that is much more robust than the OEM piece.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Why don't we just close this chapter by saying...

"It's your car. Do what you want with it and throw what parts you'd like at it"

Agree to disagree? Maybe we can just move on? I'm not going to convince someone otherwise and no one else will convince me otherwise.

It's the internet after all...

Some of us don't mind a little extra protection in life, some of us do. I prefer to play it safe (for oil filters), and I do so so I can get a free ride outside of oil filters. live a little boys

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 05-09-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I have it directly from Mercedes Benz Canada that failure to use genuine parts, (even in this case when I specifically bring up using a MANN filter) may result in a warranty denial. (and according to them, they HAVE denied claims when I asked about the specific question about using a non genuine part oil filter made by MANN for the C class).

If you choose to appeal I'm sure you can do so once you get the courts involved, but then MB will have to prove that the part that you used did not live up to their testing and their guidelines for a genuine part.

I'm sure you'd win if you went all the way but over a $3 savings? My time is worth far far more than that.(let alone the fact that I will try and remove headaches in life) *

*As I mentioned in another thread, I can get MB genuine parts very easily so yes, if it's a pain to source OEM parts I can see why that is the case for some members, but it literally is a question of if I want to save $3 or whatever by using a non OEM part, and since my vehicle is under EDW, I'll stay with Genuine parts.
Not sure about north of the border, but in the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If MB can't prove an aftermarket filter(or any other part) caused otherwise warranted engine damage, they have to honor the warranty.
Mann makes a quality filter and there is no reason not to use them instead of an MB labeled/marketed filter.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Not sure about north of the border, but in the US we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If MB can't prove an aftermarket filter(or any other part) caused otherwise warranted engine damage, they have to honor the warranty.
Mann makes a quality filter and there is no reason not to use them instead of an MB labeled/marketed filter.
As already discussed in my post, MB would have to prove it before being held not liable for any damages.

That said, nothing to prevent MB from denying the claim and then forcing the owner of the vehicle to take it up with the courts.

If that's something that you're OK with doing, be my guest