C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

COLD AIR INTAKE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by Pugnado
I recently did dual cold air intakes on my c350 and its definitely a huge difference.

I am not sure if any of you noticed....

But those Kevlar hose they use as stock, are breathable, and suck in tonnes of hot air eh, so ultimately the car already is getting a lot of hot air in, just in smaller volume. Slap some cones on there, take out those square filters in the air box, heat wrap your custom pipe fittings and you'll notice the difference!

Not to mention the bellow noise now at 3000+ rpm, good times!

Cheers

ah- the preverbal "hot air" intake made famous by the Honda/acura crowd of the early 90's/

hey if you like it that fine, but honestly in all fairness the ducts you have on the car from the factory are drawing in the coolest/dense air from the outside and its a pretty decent design. The "filters on a stick" method is only taking in the existing hot air that is in the engine compartment for the most part. They look cool but don't do much and in most cases hurt performance
Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Originally Posted by mikefinoo

Hey guys i own a 2014 c300 w204 and i was wondering what cold air intake setups i could run. Ive been looking around and couldnt find any engine bays that look like mine and would fit the intake. If you know what intakes that would fit this and you guys let me know that would be great.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/671807-i-built-cold-air-intake-works.html
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
I have the setup with 2 cone filters in the front, the air scoops point right at the filters so fresh air shouldn't be an issue unless in traffic, even the oem setup would get hot in traffic.

The key here is removing the filters from the box, they are very restrictive, K&N drop in or oem. I made a single pipe intake once and it was the most noticeable gain I ever had compared to oem filter and drop in k&n filters. But that setup was just too ugly and there was no way on using the stock ram air from the grill efficiently, the 2 cones in front of the box with the filters inside removed give the best overal performance on these cars because you get fresh air going on the filters and the air box is empty which is alot more flowing.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
I have the setup with 2 cone filters in the front, the air scoops point right at the filters so fresh air shouldn't be an issue unless in traffic, even the oem setup would get hot in traffic.

The key here is removing the filters from the box, they are very restrictive, K&N drop in or oem. I made a single pipe intake once and it was the most noticeable gain I ever had compared to oem filter and drop in k&n filters. But that setup was just too ugly and there was no way on using the stock ram air from the grill efficiently, the 2 cones in front of the box with the filters inside removed give the best overal performance on these cars because you get fresh air going on the filters and the air box is empty which is alot more flowing.
I am thinking about doing this, did you use the filter Spectre 8132?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R171 SLK 350
Anybody know how to go from this:
To this:

I have the top set-up and I want the bottom set-up.

What would be required? Part description and numbers? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Radguy
Anybody know how to go from this:

To this:

I have the top set-up and I want the bottom set-up.

What would be required? Part description and numbers? Thanks.
Hello... If I am not mistaken they both are different engines.. The top one is M276 engine ( 2012-2014 ) and the bottom one is M272 engine (2008 -2012)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 AM

R171 SLK 350
Thank you for that. I was not aware of the difference between the two.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:44 PM

Ok so after a few days of driving with 2 specter filters, I dont recommended them, even with heat shields, they work great when the car is moving but as soon as you hit traffic and you're idling, the intakes get very hot, I check IATs with a laser thermometer and proved that you dont want this setup.

Now, with all my testing, I have found the best setup in which the plastic air box stay's cool to the touch even in traffic ( around 20 degrees cooler).

I used 3in aluminium piping I had left over and wrapped it in exhaust wrapping. I also got some heat deflective stuff from my local home depot that has adhesive backing and I put a bunch on the bottom of the intake box. I also shaved out the inside of the box( removed the humps for smoother flow) and using K&N filters.

Last thing I did is extend the ait scoop from the grill, you can see in the picture, I just used pieces of plastic with a little lip on the bottom so air scoop in it, Im telling you this setup is what these cars should of had, my cars temperature on the high ways goes down significantly when air starts coming in ( around 80) not 90 degrees like it did stock, these cars love to run hot so these mods really helped it and I'm pretty sure this made my mpg go up.

One last thing I did is put a little metal heat shield around the oil cooler which generates a lot of heat, the last thing would be to close off the headers.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
ughhh will you people please stop messing with these engines.
the bumps you shaved off for "cleaner flow", how much better is it now? did you know "bumps" can accelerate air flow? im sure you do, because you know more than Mercedes engineers.

the stock intake on these cars could prob feed a V8 they are so oversized, and they really couldnt be any simpler. whatever you're doing is just making it worse. esp this k&n crap.

these cars love to run hot so these mods really helped it
if your car is "running hot" something is wrong with it. changing the intake configuration isnt going to do squat.

Last edited by B737; 10-29-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:09 PM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
I’m not understanding how it would make your engine run 10 degrees cooler. Your thermostat controlls that and would counteract it.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CJG
I’m not understanding how it would make your engine run 10 degrees cooler. Your thermostat controlls that and would counteract it.

I dont think you understood me, Im talking about engine bay temperatures and this setup keeps the air box cold, stock if you idle the cars for 10 min, the intake box is very hot to the touch.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=B737;7298959]ughhh will you people please stop messing with these engines.
the bumps you shaved off for "cleaner flow", how much better is it now? did you know "bumps" can accelerate air flow? im sure you do, because you know more than Mercedes engineers.

Last edited by W204Motorsports; 10-26-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:03 PM
CJG

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
I dont think you understood me, Im talking about engine bay temperatures and this setup keeps the air box cold, stock if you idle the cars for 10 min, the intake box is very hot to the touch.
Got it.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c300 sport
Right on!

yeah brother I agree I did the same exact thing you did tbh but my filters are a tad smaller so they are not as “close” to front grille and those air slots but I’ll fix that in a week or two. I felt a hell of a difference on my 2010 c300 sport. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I recently did dual cold air intakes on my c350 and its definitely a huge difference.

I am not sure if any of you noticed....

But those Kevlar hose they use as stock, are breathable, and suck in tonnes of hot air eh, so ultimately the car already is getting a lot of hot air in, just in smaller volume. Slap some cones on there, take out those square filters in the air box, heat wrap your custom pipe fittings and you'll notice the difference!

Not to mention the bellow noise now at 3000+ rpm, good times!

Cheers
Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 300 Sport 4MATIC
I am under the impression that unless you have a tune - it's best on these cars not to bother with any intake mods. If tuning, that's different because the ecu can be programmed to account for the different air/fuel ratios.
The following users liked this post:
alecmascot (04-04-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM

2010 c300 sport
maybe bro🤷🏻‍♂️ I was planning on getting that 3 piece tune kit that has the pedals tune, the transmission and tune for ecu. Heard some great things about it. But yeah I haven’t had a “terror” light come on or anything. (Stupid name me and my friends came up with when it comes to check engine light)

Originally Posted by floridaorange
I am under the impression that unless you have a tune - it's best on these cars not to bother with any intake mods. If tuning, that's different because the ecu can be programmed to account for the different air/fuel ratios.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, 6M, Dynamic Handling Pack
I find this thread extremely entertaining. Why are people so insistent on bringing their Honda trash mods to a Mercedes? And BTW I came from a Honda and have had several Hondas.
The following users liked this post:
alecmascot (04-04-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Honestly they’re good everyone was telling me not to get them but it hasn’t done anything wrong and it actually added a little power it feels

Originally Posted by mr.brightside
I actually noticed that the engine cover/ intake assembly is more cleaner and free of dust when I used the K&N filters. The opening the intake runners attach too gather lots of dust and other stuff like leaves, many things can pass through there. But with the cone filter it eliminates that.

I'd just like to point out that those who have tried it themselves like me, don't really have any bad things to say about it. And the ones constantly bashing it never tried it themselves and are speaking subjectively.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes-Benz c300 Sport
I'm glad that this thread is here lol. I want to mod my car but idk what to do to it. I know where to get the pedal & transmission tune but idk about ecu. There is Tornado Tuning but I don't trust it because I've only heard one person talk about it on youtube & he was sponsored. There also aren't any articles on it.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:02 PM

Volvo945. MB E 350 C207. MB C250. Datsun 260Z.
Car design and engineering is a compromise to facilitate government legislations across multiple jurisdictions and maximum efficiency across multiple operating conditions. Volumetric efficiency of the air intake is compromised by this. Noise restrictions compromise this too.

In an ideal world the designers might have used the straightest, smoothest intake runners with matching intake cross sectional areas to that of the individual throttle body cross sectional areas, but they didn't/couldn't. The flat panel filters most likely are the best compromise, on the standard intake as the air is entering from outside of the engine bay. There will always be restrictions in the air flow at some point. The length of the travel to the throttle also changes the characteristic of the air flow. Effectively it's friction and laminar flow. The changes in the shapes of the standard intakes from the mouth to the throttle have a marked effect on the flow of air. One solution might be to cut a hole in the bonnet above the filter, make an open box to seal against the underside of the bonnet, if you want a far freer, high volume air flow, as the area at the base of the windscreen is a high pressure area. This will work great at high rpm, but probably wont work as well at low rpm. it the difference between the air speed when sucking in air through a straw and sucking in air with a wide open mouth. Somewhere in the middle gives the best of both worlds. So air flow is one thing. Air temperature, hence density, is another, so cold air from outside of the engine compartment is another.

The filter area and composition is in question. Paper filters, have finer particulate filtering, thus more restriction better protection (from albeit very fine particles). Weather these very fine particles actually do much damage is a point of conjecture. Fabric filters are less restrictive (allow slightly larger particulates through). Cone fabric filters inside the engine bay will give you higher flow of hotter, less dense air, thus less volumetric efficiency. If one were to run those cone filter tubes through the radiator support panel and into the space in front of the air conditioning heat exchanger, directly behind the grill, then there would be substantial efficiency gains, and some losses at higher rpm's via the longer runners. Note: Higher rpm's need shorter intake runner, and vica versa. Don't use metal tubing as it get s hot. Very hot. Heating up the air passing through. Over a very long period these particulates may cause damage to the throttle bodies, MAF's etc, but its a matter for some highly intellectual discussion and forensic research, as to weather, or not, they cause engine degradation, considering the environment they will be subjected to in the combustion chamber?

I would hazard to say that the V6/V8 motor would respond lovingly to individual downdraft throttle bodies, with trumpets! Has any body done this on a C207?????

In a non turbo situation, engine breathing is the most critical element. Moving air/fuel in and combustion gases out in the smoothest, quickest, most efficient way possible, so all of the intake improvement are mute to a large degree, if they are not matched by more efficient exhausting. We are talking exhaust manifolding and tubing, lengths, bends and restrictions. Bot not withstanding all of the engine internals, IE valve sizes, camshafts, compression, timing, etc, etc, etc. None of which, I'm betting, that many here are even prepared to consider. In a turbo motor removing a little restriction and cooling the intake air may be of some benefit, but not as much as remapping/chipping, etc where huge gains can be made on stock motors, before you go stupid with modifications.

I closing, I would say, for everyday use, as was intended by the manufacturer, stick with what they've given you. It will be trouble free, happy Mercedes Benz motoring. However, if you are searching for those extra tenths, or even hundredths of a second, then modify to your hearts content, knowing there is no end, once you enter the rabbit hole!
Old 01-18-2022, 09:04 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=indi...biw=1807&hl=en
Old 01-18-2022, 09:17 PM

Here is something similar to what I was suggesting re directing the air on the absolute shortest path. Need to be taking that air from outside the engine bay though. not particulaly scientific but would work in the higher rpm's
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ilter-mod.html
Old 01-18-2022, 09:24 PM

Try this one:
https://www.needswings.com/needswing...old-air-intake
Old 04-03-2023, 04:39 PM

I own a 2012 C300 sport

Hey guys i own a 2014 c300 w204 and i was wondering what cold air intake setups i could run. Ive been looking around and couldnt find any engine bays that look like mine and would fit the intake. If you know what intakes that would fit this and you guys let me know that would be great.

There you go