C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2013 C300 vibrate and yellow steady CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 2013
Unhappy 2013 C300 vibrate and yellow steady CEL

Hello my friends here, as usual, I need your advise 😊
I always park my C300 2013 inside, weather outside is -20 almost.
Yesterday I took it out of the garage for 2 hours then back inside.
This morning, I started the car inside the garage, door was closed as I usually do, back of the cae might be 30 cm from the garage door.
The check engine light was steady on in yellow, the car was vibrating.
I drove to Mercedes dealer directly, which is 6 KM far from home, it was still shaking.
When I stopped the car there, and shutted it down, I thought of resart it again
Guess what?! The CEL is off and no viberation at all.
I went inside and reported that to Mercedes, and they will check the codes this Friday.
The guy told me that it might be a misfire, and that is a known issue for W204 from 2009 to 2013!!
Also, I have the extended warranty, do you think they might play games with me? I just bought the car August 2017 ☹
Any advice guys?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 PM

C300 2013
Just to add, I drove it three times since then, including this morning, no vibration or CEL at all !!!
Could it be a minor issue and that's it? will it return back?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
I think possibly you had a fowled up plug which eventually cleared up.
The following users liked this post:
Hatem Megaly (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Hatem Megaly
Also, I have the extended warranty, do you think they might play games with me? I just bought the car August 2017 ☹
Nope, no games. It's covered by the warranty. Anything they do to it regarding this problem and including the codes checking will free and covered. Even if the light went out, their scanner will be able to read the stored fault code and they should have an idea of what happened.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
And misfires are not a "known" problem with these cars. Misfires can be caused by a lot of different things and that goes for every car on the road. Mercedes in general and C300s specifically do not have inherent issues with misfires.

If there were no previous issues before this incident happened and it cleared up on its own it is probably something minor and simple to fix. Good luck. Please report back what it turned out to be.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM

C300 2013
Thanks all, I'll for sure keep you posted on Friday
I wanted to buy ODB2 reader from amazon, and read the codes myself, but one reader mentioned that if I used one, it will clear automatically the errors from the car, and I had to drive it for a week before taking it to Mercedes, so the code can be re-generated.
He said that this is the nature of European cars.
I think that's really silly, but I wanted to confirm.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
Thanks all, I'll for sure keep you posted on Friday
I wanted to buy ODB2 reader from amazon, and read the codes myself, but one reader mentioned that if I used one, it will clear automatically the errors from the car, and I had to drive it for a week before taking it to Mercedes, so the code can be re-generated.
He said that this is the nature of European cars.
I think that's really silly, but I wanted to confirm.
That is NOT true. With a code reader it will allow you to see what current and stored codes you have. Most WILL allow you to clear the code, but it will not be done automatically, you have to manually clear the codes. If what is causing the check engine light is intermittent, clearing the code will allow the check engine light to go out. If what is causing the light is present all the time, the light will stay on. If you clear it and it stays off for a while and then comes back later that will at least show the fault is not present all the time. What you might want to do the first time is clear every stored and pending code you have in case some are really old for problems that might have long been addressed. Then whatever comes back you know is current and you aren't looking at things that are not issues.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM

C300 2013
Originally Posted by Alfadude
That is NOT true. With a code reader it will allow you to see what current and stored codes you have. Most WILL allow you to clear the code, but it will not be done automatically, you have to manually clear the codes. If what is causing the check engine light is intermittent, clearing the code will allow the check engine light to go out. If what is causing the light is present all the time, the light will stay on. If you clear it and it stays off for a while and then comes back later that will at least show the fault is not present all the time. What you might want to do the first time is clear every stored and pending code you have in case some are really old for problems that might have long been addressed. Then whatever comes back you know is current and you aren't looking at things that are not issues.
Thanks really, I feel really secure with you guys here
Do you suggest any specific OBD2 device that you tried and you feel satisfy with it, so I can start with it
Thanks again really and really sorry for annoying you all here.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 Porsche 911 Coupe, a 2002 CLK320 & 2013 C300
Ignition coil could be an issue based on what you described but a number of things can lead to a missfire. You can buy a cheap bluetooth ODBII plug anywhere and then buy an app for your phone on Android, Torque is a pretty good one. Don't know of one for iOS but I'm sure they exist. For under $20 you'll get 80% of all of the errors warning lights the car is bound to throw at you.
Hatem Megaly (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Thanks really, I feel really secure with you guys here
Do you suggest any specific OBD2 device that you tried and you feel satisfy with it, so I can start with it
Thanks again really and really sorry for annoying you all here.
The $20 cheap OBDII readers can only read the generic codes and not the Mercedes-specific codes so when things get complicated, the cheap reader won't be able to give you the details needed.

If you plan on keeping the car for some time and plan on staying with the Mercedes brand, I recommend the
iCarSoft iCarSoft
 Mercedes/Smart MB II Mercedes/Smart MB II
. It can scan all the MB systems, give you the most details, and clear all the codes. It's the closest thing to the MB-proprietary scanner but for $150 rather than $3000+.
Hatem Megaly (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM

C300 2013
When I bought the car 4 months ago, I had the idea of keeping it even after the extended warranty ends on 2020, but after the first issue here, I felt fearing to have such sophisticated technology
You advise me guys, is it really high risk to have it after the extended warranty? I'm not that rich guy but I really loved the car.
The first minute I tested in the parking lot of the dealer, I felt the BIG DIFFERENCE compared to Honda, dodge, etc., really SOLID car
Advise me my friends please
Thanks again for all of you

For the OBD, I started to build up my knowledge base, I ordered the veepeak bluetooth one, got the torque PRO and DashCommand full versions too to be ready.
Googled the code sites.

For the iCarSoft, I can get it if I get more confidence in the car to keep it as I told you, but will it read any other brand?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 PM

C300 2013
I used the OBD2 scanner with torque pro, no errors at all!!!
either pending or stored.
but I'll go tomorrow morning to mercedes anyway.
will update you all after.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
If you have an extended warranty until 2020, just don't worry about it now. You still have 2 years to go and a lot can happen in those two years. Why spend them worried while the warranty will cover everything except regular maintenance (oil, filters, etc..)?

Let us know what happens at the dealer and what codes show up on their scanner and we'll go from there.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
If you want to keep a car, has every fluid it has ananalised, not that expensive, if all pass, then consider.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM

C300 2013
So, I went to Mercedes, told them that I couldn’t find any errors and he told me that there tool for sure will check more than my Bluetooth one.
After two hours and half, he told me they couldn’t find any error over the car, and they updated the engine and the transmission software as well.
Payed zero $
Thanks again good fellows for your interest to support me.
You gave me good lesson here, try OBD scanning by myself.
Enjoy your weekend guys ��
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
Something does not seem to make sense to me. If you had the check engine light come on, then a code would be generated and stored, even if it was a momentary event. Doesn't matter, though, as long as your car is running fine I guess.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM

C300 2013
Something does not seem to make sense to me. If you had the check engine light come on, then a code would be generated and stored, even if it was a momentary event. Doesn't matter, though, as long as your car is running fine I guess.
I googled it last night, one guy mentioned that the code will be shown as pending but within 40 engine start cycles; if it didn't happen again, the computer will totally erase it. That was over OBD forum.
Is that true?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
Once a code is trigged it will stay stored until manually erased. What you might be thinking is the check engine light would go out on it's own if the issue that triggered the light was no longer present and the minimum amount of drive cycles was met. That amount is different for different codes. The light would go out, but the code would still be stored.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:58 AM

C300 2013
Once a code is trigged it will stay stored until manually erased. What you might be thinking is the check engine light would go out on it's own if the issue that triggered the light was no longer present and the minimum amount of drive cycles was met. That amount is different for different codes. The light would go out, but the code would still be stored.

Makes more sense to me, the computer should always keep track of the car's history.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 PM

C300 2013
Here's where it mentioned that it will flush, saying that it's by design for OBD2 protocl!!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...t-no-code.html
Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 PM

C300 2013
I asked it over there site, let's see there reply
http://www.obdiicsu.com/forum/topic/...no-codes-after
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
I asked it over there site, let's see there reply
http://www.obdiicsu.com/forum/topic/...no-codes-after
You're asking and getting answers for generic OBDII. However, like the previous members said, on a Mercedes, if an engine light came on and then disappeared, next time you scan with STAR/XENTRY (Which is the MB scan tool), you will most definitely get a stored fault code for the affected control unit.

This is true for even the simplest fault in a mercedes like a burnt license plate bulb. Even after you replace it with a new one, if you were to scan with an MB tool, you'll see the fault stored.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 AM

C300 2013
Originally Posted by xsever
You're asking and getting answers for generic OBDII. However, like the previous members said, on a Mercedes, if an engine light came on and then disappeared, next time you scan with STAR/XENTRY (Which is the MB scan tool), you will most definitely get a stored fault code for the affected control unit.

This is true for even the simplest fault in a mercedes like a burnt license plate bulb. Even after you replace it with a new one, if you were to scan with an MB tool, you'll see the fault stored.
I am really convinced of that, but the fact that my car didn't raise any codes is weird, I bought it this CPO car 4 months ago from Mercedes.
Might be a firmware or EPROM bug, but I think no one here experienced similar issue with unregistered errors.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
I am really convinced of that, but the fact that my car didn't raise any codes is weird, I bought it this CPO car 4 months ago from Mercedes.
Might be a firmware or EPROM bug, but I think no one here experienced similar issue with unregistered errors.
Just make sure they're not "sweeping" any error codes "under the rug" until the warranty is up. Anyway, drive it normally and monitor any anomalies that might show up.
Hatem Megaly (01-22-2018)