C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

[Need Help] P2187 Error Code

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Kompressor (c200)
[Need Help] P2187 Error Code

Hi there,

I have this error code (P2187 The mixture (cylinder bank 1) is too lean at idle speed.) for close to a year now which displayed the Check Engine Light in my car (W204 - C200 Kompressor sedan). I recently went to a repair shop to fix this and they changed both of my Oxygen sensors (costed me around $300 USD) but the problem still remains. The mechanic also checked my hoses and said they were fine. I am now puzzled now on how to solve this problem.

Does anyone have any idea? A couple of symptoms that I am facing along with this issue below:-
  • Some times my engine would misfire on the first engine start. This happens intermittently. It is not related to the car battery because I have a new AGM battery. This rarely happens nowaday after changing my weak AGM battery so I'm striking this off.
  • During early morning cold starts, there is a whistling noise from the front part of the car (near the air filter) for about 1 minute. Driving the car with the noise will be sluggish. So I usually wait for a minute for the noise to go away and the car will drive just fine. A mechanic told me this is normal for Kompressor engines so I'm striking this off.
Appreciate if anyone can provide some input on this issue. I also have an OBD (iCarsoft MB2) which I used to clear the error codes but the errors returned.

Attaching pictures of the error below:-
Error code displayed using my OBD iCarsoft MB2 OBD.

Last edited by echoes; 04-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:33 AM

2009 C Class C200 1.8 W204 Petrol Auto
Originally Posted by echoes
Hi there,

I have this error code (P2187 The mixture (cylinder bank 1) is too lean at idle speed.) for close to a year now which displayed the Check Engine Light in my car (W204 - C200 Kompressor sedan). I recently went to a repair shop to fix this and they changed both of my Oxygen sensors (costed me around $300 USD) but the problem still remains. The mechanic also checked my hoses and said they were fine. I am now puzzled now on how to solve this problem.

Does anyone have any idea? A couple of symptoms that I am facing along with this issue below:-
  • Some times my engine would misfire on the first engine start. This happens intermittently. It is not related to the car battery because I have a new AGM battery.
  • During early morning cold starts, there is a whistling noise from the front part of the car (near the air filter) for about 1 minute. Driving the car with the noise will be sluggish. So I usually wait for a minute for the noise to go away and the car will drive just fine.
Appreciate if anyone can provide some input on this issue. I also have an OBD (iCarsoft MB2) which I used to clear the error codes but the errors returned.

Attaching pictures of the error below:-
Error code displayed using my OBD iCarsoft MB2 OBD.
Hi, any update on this issue? I can see it has been over a year and wondering if any solution was found? Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 AM

2009 C Class C200 Auto Kompressor Saloon Petrol W204
Update?

Hi,

I too would be interested to hear if any solution was found.

Happened to a friends car who said the engine light (P2187) only came on around quarter tank of fuel. No garage could diagnose the fault including use of MB's star diagnostic tool l. Smoke tests done and existing sensors cleaned, tested and/or replaced.

Last I recall, they said keeping the fuel tank above half keeps the engine management light away while keeping them sane. Strange or what. Searching on forums, the issue seems to be quite rare.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2019, 10:45 AM

W204 Kompressor (c200)
Originally Posted by Ajay Kai
Hi,

I too would be interested to hear if any solution was found.

Happened to a friends car who said the engine light (P2187) only came on around quarter tank of fuel. No garage could diagnose the fault including use of MB's star diagnostic tool l. Smoke tests done and existing sensors cleaned, tested and/or replaced.

Last I recall, they said keeping the fuel tank above half keeps the engine management light away while keeping them sane. Strange or what. Searching on forums, the issue seems to be quite rare.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks
Hello just saw this post today. Unfortunately I don't have any solution but will just list down what I did to the car so far. Hopefully some one else can figure it out.
  1. First, I changed the original O2 sensor at the front to a Bosch O2 sensor. Didn't fix it because the error code was still there.
  2. I went to a place with experienced mechanics who used to work with Mercedes Benz dealers. They diagnosed my car and pointed it to the ECU Control Unit. It would be a costly repair. However, they said I didn't need to change it yet since my car is working fine.
  3. Eventually the error code went off on its own which I find very weird lol. Once in a blue moon the error will come back for a few days and then disappear again. Note that I didn't fix anything else... I only swapped to a different engine oil brand from Petronas to Liqui Moly.
Reading your post.... I somehow suspect my problem could be related to the fuel tank but I couldn't verify it. The error code tend to appear after refueling (not always but happened a few times). Still clueless as of now but the car works fine so time will tell.

Last edited by echoes; 04-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:59 AM

W204
Hello, facing the same issue, apparently car drives fine, do you find any solution?
Old 02-26-2023, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63
I’ve recently had and corrected this problem. Long story short the air cleaner assembly wasn’t put back on perfectly and the seal to the mass air flow sensor had a small gap. All I had to do was pull the air cleaner assembly off and put it back on correctly. The light went off on its own.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:35 AM

W204
Originally Posted by anthonym13
I’ve recently had and corrected this problem. Long story short the air cleaner assembly wasn’t put back on perfectly and the seal to the mass air flow sensor had a small gap. All I had to do was pull the air cleaner assembly off and put it back on correctly. The light went off on its own.
Last time I visited the mechanic they cleaned some air ways or maybe MAF as well and it drove fine about 2 months and around 200 kms then light came back, meanwhile I heard from a fellow benz user that if you don't reset it, it goes away after 150 kms of driving it self, I tried that and yes it went off after 150 kms drive but came again after 39 kms. Just curious if they placed the air filter housing properly which solved the problem, is it possible box gets loose by itself? Sorry for the long detail, pls confirm your car model and variant and have you noticed it going off it self and coming back in the history?
Old 02-27-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
A lot of W204 V6's have had the metal clip that holds the rear of the air box shroud in place lost. Careless replacement can pinch the rubber seal to the air flow sensor mount and I have seen small splits also appear, My Dealer joined the "must have lost the clip" club but was able to make a substitute from thick wire. Check the rubber seal area (a replacement is available on eBay, other parts sites) ...I use brake parts lube/grease to lightly clean and buff.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:34 AM

W204
Originally Posted by gamma300C
A lot of W204 V6's have had the metal clip that holds the rear of the air box shroud in place lost. Careless replacement can pinch the rubber seal to the air flow sensor mount and I have seen small splits also appear, My Dealer joined the "must have lost the clip" club but was able to make a substitute from thick wire. Check the rubber seal area (a replacement is available on eBay, other parts sites) ...I use brake parts lube/grease to lightly clean and buff.
thanks for the response but mine is c200 kompressor not the v6 variant.