C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How can you tell the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) is about go ?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C220 CDI
How can you tell the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) is about go ?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions but....
How can you tell or what are the "pre symptoms" that Electronic Ignition Switch is about go?

I've got a report from mechanic that it is imminent to fail...

2009 C220 CDI, W204.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 AM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
If you plan on keeping the car, I would just install an emulator before it fails because sometimes it's the small electric motor that gets old and it might be intermittent or hitting the steering wheel might unlock it(like hitting a starter) but it can also fail electronically, the module just goes bad(Chip on the board fails requiring need EIS module) and you can't see that coming, it is such a common issue, installing an emulator is what everyone should do before the stock EIS fails on them and cost them 1500+$ instead of 350$.

Not to mention if it fails in locked position and you are unable to get it to unlock one last time, the job gets a lot harder because you need to remove the hole column and cut a bolt that is there for thief reasons. Removing the EIS while you can unlock the steering wheel is a 30min job.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
If you plan on keeping the car, I would just install an emulator before it fails because sometimes it's the small electric motor that gets old and it might be intermittent or hitting the steering wheel might unlock it(like hitting a starter) but it can also fail electronically, the module just goes bad(Chip on the board fails requiring need EIS module) and you can't see that coming, it is such a common issue, installing an emulator is what everyone should do before the stock EIS fails on them and cost them 1500+$ instead of 350$.
Can you elaborate on the emulator? First time I've heard about it and any reliable sources/links you can provide?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:19 AM

2009 C220 CDI
I would just install an emulator before it fails
Please do go on...about this "emulator".
I would really love to hear about it more...

Regards
Old 03-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Emulator is exactly what it states, it emulats the signal to the ecu by tricking it still thinking the ESL module is still there.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/XHORSE-ELV-E...wAAOSw5cNYU3gz

^this is the emulator, its the same shape as the stock ESL module and can be placed at the same spot but you no longer have a locking steering wheel so it eliminates the mechanical chance of failure. Electronically, it is a simple device and I've yet to hear one fail( just dont install is somewhere stupid where you can kick it with your feet or get water on it)

You need to vin it to your ecu, it like programming a key so you need to send out you ignition switch and key and with that, they are able to vin the emulator to your key/car. I was lucky I found someone locally so i didn't have to ship it but even if you ship it, it shouldn't take more then a week.

Here are a few people that offer the service, the price included the emulator.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MERCEDES-W20...EAAOSw~y9ZJNnQ

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MERCEDES-W20...tak6vA&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-W204-ESL...QAAOSwTuVZpvPt
Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I sure could tell when my ESL was going. The sound of the lock engaging after you insert the key was pretty noticeable and would get more and more faint till it died.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Colin G
I sure could tell when my ESL was going. The sound of the lock engaging after you insert the key was pretty noticeable and would get more and more faint till it died.
Yes like I stated, sometimes its the motor that gets weaker and weaker or the module just fail instantly(chip on board)
The following users liked this post:
pingmonster (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 PM

2009 C220 CDI
Yes like I stated, sometimes its the motor that gets weaker and weaker or the module just fail instantly(chip on board)
Thank you for that info.
I've just fixed (repair) the EIS and ESL. Didn't go with "emulator"

Boy....! Those are not cheap at all...but 1/3 price of brand new one.....

You are right about the sound.... Itwargssf..
Before the fix, I didn't really noticed it when the key goes in and out...but compare to how it is now, after the fix, it is sharp and very fast short burst sound.

Regards