C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Stalled after ECO stop, starter fuse blown, now inoperable. (2013 C300)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Stalled after ECO stop, starter fuse blown, now inoperable. (2013 C300)

Sucks that my first post here is about a problem only 2.5 months into ownership of my 2013 C300 Sport but its in the shop now and won't be diagnosed until Monday. So let's play the speculation game as to what is wrong with my vehicle! Also making it as a reference post for anyone in the future who experiences a similar problem and will update it once my shop comes through with the diagnosis and repair. Wasn't really able to find much resources on this issue for this model year of the vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------

March 7th, 4:10pm: Driving home from work on a rainy Wednesday, I pull up to a red light and ECO stop initiates shutting off the engine as normal. Light turns green, I let off the brake and the car stalls, dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm able to restart the vehicle after taking the key out and a few cranks later in about 30 seconds.

I thought it was strange but because it never happened before so I thought I did something to stall the car by accident and it started back up so I went on as normal. Many more red lights and stop signs later, made it home with no further stalls.

March 7th, 7:30pm: Same day, went to grab some takeout for dinner. Car started up with no issues, got to the plaza, went through the drive-thru, got my food. Pulled up to the stop sign to exit the plaza, ECO stop initiated and again as I let go of the brake and the car is supposed to start back up, it stalled once again. This time it took many more cranks but I got it to start up 2-3 minutes later.

Definitely wanted to get my car checked out in the morning.

March 8th, 7:30am: Getting in my car to go to work, I go for the startup. It doesn't crank at all. Not a sound from the engine bay, only the click of the key within the cabin. Battery seemed fine, all lights were on, radio was blasting some tunes. The car did not seem like it was even trying to start so I was convinced there was a starter issue. Accepted that I wasn't making it to work, went to eat breakfast. Read my warranty papers, determined this problem should be fully covered. Call the dealer I got the car from, their service department was swamped and told me they wouldn't be able to take a look at my car till Monday.

Later on in the day, I tried to unplug and re-plug the battery to see if it would change anything. Still no startup. Then I turned my attention to the fuses, checked the starter related fuses and I discovered that the 20A starter fuse was blown. Hit the Canadian Tire down the street to pick up some fuses, got a 5-pack of 20A fuses. Popped in a new fuse and viola, start up with no issues! It was late at this point, I hadn't eaten since early in the morning so I went to grab food, turned off ECO mode, ate in the restaurant. Came out, car started up fine, turned off ECO mode again, drove back home. Intention was to drive it over to the shop in the morning and let them do their thing on Monday.

March 9th, 7:00am: Get in the car, go for the startup and we're back to where we started the previous day. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Put in another fuse from the pack I bought, tried to start it up and instantly blew. Put in one more fuse an hour later just to be sure and instantly blown again.

Got it towed to the shop by 1:00pm today and this is where I currently stand. When I got it to start yesterday, I should have took it straight to the shop to avoid the towing hassle but they almost closing by then, they weren't going to be looking at my car till Monday, so I thought I'd be fine. Oh well, the towing was covered for the most part anyways so it's all good.

Other notes that may or may not be relevant:
Car was running absolutely flawlessly before March 7th at 4:10pm. I have been in love with this car!
Weather-wise, we had some warm-ish weather the week before this one bringing in some rain. This week, we went back to the colder side of things, got some snow here and there throughout the week.
I ran the car through a wash on March 5th.

Anyone ever experienced this issue or have an idea or speculation of what the issue might be? I will find out on Monday or early next week but since I'm here and without a car, I thought I'd type this up now, update it accordingly and maybe get some insight from anyone here.

Also, mini-rant here: when I got this car and learned about the ECO Stop Start feature, I thought to myself, that does not sound healthy for the car and as I got to experience the system being used and when it kicks in, I started to turn it off, as much as I remembered to at least because it comes back on by default every time you get into the car again. It felt really bad for the engine components and the starter in stop and go traffic. Well here I am, with a starter issue.
I don't feel like I gain enough fuel efficiency to outweigh the wear the system potentially causes on the vehicle. Anyone else share the same sentiments?

Super Late Update: Car was diagnosed on March 12th, starter was completely done. Warranty wouldn't cover a brand new starter but a re-manufactured one. Job done by March 14th and car running fine again. No further problems almost a month later.

I turn off ECO Stop Start at all times now, not interested in having to get another starter during the rest of the life of this car!

Last edited by DJMerc; 04-03-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
You opinions about ECO start-stop aligns with my own. A feature no consumer/end-user has ever asked for, yet emissions regulations has caused manufacturers to develop it. I am having trouble to get ECO to activate on my car, so I am pretty lucky for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyC:
DJMerc (04-03-2018), superangrypenguin (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 Porsche 911 Coupe, a 2002 CLK320 & 2013 C300
sounds like you have a short somewhere in the star system, maybe some water got in where it shouldn't have. if it's something that bothers you, there's a 7.5 amp fuse in the battery in the rear of the car that if you remove it, it disables the eco stop/start. search the forum if you need specifics but just removing the plastic cover makes the fuse easy to spot.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
It is very bad for the engines long term, surely you can find someone with a dealer level scan to deactivate it or just not set it as default every time you start the car.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
This sounds like a nice system designed to sell more new or re manufactured starters. The fuse likely protects the wiring to the starter solenoid so that is the likely culprit, or even a loose terminal connection that intermittently grounds out. I guess that starter solenoids are a major wear item on those systems as well. It sounds to me that the designers are now over working a starter and solenoid that needs major redesign work to be used so constantly.