C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2013 C250 valve cracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Angry 2013 C250 valve cracked

Hello,
Last week all was normal with the above mentioned vehicle. On my daily commute I hit traffic in the highway. I slowed down and noticed the car was shaking. As I hit the gas the car was misfiring. Came home and researched. Took to a friend's shop, they ran diagnostics and received code for misfire in cylinder 2. Friend ruled out coils issue and checked spark plugs. He advised taking it to MB dealership. They ran a leak test and a compression test. Found low compression on cylinder 2. They informed me they had to remove the head of the engine to pinpoint the issue. Mechanic finally found a cracked valve on cylinder 2. They are replacing valves and taking the engine head to a machinist to make sure everything is done properly. Needless to say the bill is much higher than I expected and would've wanted. I've talked to a few friends that know more about auto mechanics than I do and we all agree that this should not be happening to an engine that only has 53,300 miles. Here's the vehicle background: bought used from Carmax. According to paperwork one owner and I believe the vehicle was a lease. I purchased the vehicle summer of 2016. It had over 25k miles. I performed that last 2 oil changes (35k and 45k) with either OEM oil and parts or ones listed as ok to use by MB.
I'm posting to see if anyone has heard of similar experiences. I've researched various forums and can't find anyone with engine problems as the root cause. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed and have no chance to recoup any of the money. This is the first MB I've owned. Extremely disappointed to be going through this with what I thought was a great quality brand. I've always taken good care of my vehicles and never had this kind of engine problem. Any advice/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Mercedes C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by aiw726
Hello,
Last week all was normal with the above mentioned vehicle. On my daily commute I hit traffic in the highway. I slowed down and noticed the car was shaking. As I hit the gas the car was misfiring. Came home and researched. Took to a friend's shop, they ran diagnostics and received code for misfire in cylinder 2. Friend ruled out coils issue and checked spark plugs. He advised taking it to MB dealership. They ran a leak test and a compression test. Found low compression on cylinder 2. They informed me they had to remove the head of the engine to pinpoint the issue. Mechanic finally found a cracked valve on cylinder 2. They are replacing valves and taking the engine head to a machinist to make sure everything is done properly. Needless to say the bill is much higher than I expected and would've wanted. I've talked to a few friends that know more about auto mechanics than I do and we all agree that this should not be happening to an engine that only has 53,300 miles. Here's the vehicle background: bought used from Carmax. According to paperwork one owner and I believe the vehicle was a lease. I purchased the vehicle summer of 2016. It had over 25k miles. I performed that last 2 oil changes (35k and 45k) with either OEM oil and parts or ones listed as ok to use by MB.
I'm posting to see if anyone has heard of similar experiences. I've researched various forums and can't find anyone with engine problems as the root cause. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed and have no chance to recoup any of the money. This is the first MB I've owned. Extremely disappointed to be going through this with what I thought was a great quality brand. I've always taken good care of my vehicles and never had this kind of engine problem. Any advice/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Yea that definitely sucks. How much did it end up costing? If you are buying Mercedes/BMW/Porsche and you can't afford new, always get CPO, as you will still have extended warranty offered by the dealer. I recall there was a thread on the E/C class forum where someone's C class's engine blew up... He had to do an engine swap by himself, took a long time but saved a ton of money.
The following users liked this post:
aiw726 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by bowenxue98
Yea that definitely sucks. How much did it end up costing? If you are buying Mercedes/BMW/Porsche and you can't afford new, always get CPO, as you will still have extended warranty offered by the dealer. I recall there was a thread on the E/C class forum where someone's C class's engine blew up... He had to do an engine swap by himself, took a long time but saved a ton of money.
Upwards of 4K USD and I still don't have the car... wouldn't be surprised if they find something else wrong with engine. I did a quick search of cost for an engine and it would've cost about that not installed.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 benz c250
Originally Posted by aiw726
Upwards of 4K USD and I still don't have the car... wouldn't be surprised if they find something else wrong with engine. I did a quick search of cost for an engine and it would've cost about that not installed.

I bought last year the same year and model, but I bought the extended warranty. See if after this repair if you can get the car CPO'd (probably for a fee) and then buy an extended warranty. Or see if you can buy the extended warranty first, before the CPO?