C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help: Getting brakes replaced / brake fluid replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Help: Getting brakes replaced / brake fluid replaced

My vehicle is due to get the brake fluid replaced, and that's no big deal. That said though, my dealer has long told me...when you replace the brakes, replace the brake fluid at the same time in order to prevent mushy feeling brakes etc.

That said though, here's my problem.

Definitely getting the fluid replaced this week, but I don't want to replace the front brakes just yet (rotors and pads) because the wear sensor hasn't gone off yet. I'm close, and my front pads probably has around 3.5mm left...anyways, is it really that big of a deal to replace the fluid now and get the brakes/rotors replaced a few months from now? Personally I don't even get the logic with what the dealer is saying about replacing both at the same time. These are isolated and sealed systems, no?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 W204
The brake bleeding job is not a big deal, Penguin. Supposed to be done every other year - - it's sort of a time-based task. If the front hyrdaulic system isn't opened when the pads are changed, the brakes really don't have to be bled again, but I would probably do a quickee while things are apart.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by '11W204
The brake bleeding job is not a big deal, Penguin. Supposed to be done every other year - - it's sort of a time-based task. If the front hyrdaulic system isn't opened when the pads are changed, the brakes really don't have to be bled again, but I would probably do a quickee while things are apart.
Thanks. Apparently the dealer uses some sort of fluid exchanger when replacing the brake fluid and thus the system is not opened. As a result, there is no "discount" given to replace the fluid when they swap out the front pads/rotors. My only "incentive" to get all of this done together is that apparently if I don't do this altogether, then I run the risk of having mushy feeling brakes, of which I call "BS" on and thus wanted to get a second opinion on here
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
1992 MB 190E, 2016 MB C300
The fluid and the pads are changed independently all the time. No problem.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
I have my brakefluid flushed out roughly every 2 years, no rotor or pads replacement if not necessary.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Dealer offered it because its the same price for you but easier for them since they will be doing the pads/rotors anyways and have access to the bleeders.

Honestly I flushed it once with a vacuum pump but I find replacing the fluid that is in master cylinder reservoir under the hood once a year is plenty and much easier. 90% of the fluid is in the reservoir and my pedal feel has always been very very sharp, maybe 1-2 inched of travel.

I would say perform do a full flush when you replace the pads, my original pads and rotors lasted for almost 8 years so flushing it every 2 years would be annoying and pretty useless, adding the chances of introducing air in the system. I chose to just change the fluid in the recervoir every year or so and perform a full flush only when the brakes pads or rotors are due.

Last edited by W204Motorsports; 04-15-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
Dealer offered it because its the same price for you but easier for them since they will be doing the pads/rotors anyways and have access to the bleeders.

Honestly I flushed it once with a vacuum pump but I find replacing the fluid that is in master cylinder reservoir under the hood once a year is plenty and much easier. 90% of the fluid is in the reservoir and my pedal feel has always been very very sharp, maybe 1-2 inched of travel.

I would say perform do a full flush when you replace the pads, my original pads and rotors lasted for almost 8 years so flushing it every 2 years would be annoying and pretty useless, adding the chances of introducing air in the system. I chose to just change the fluid in the recervoir every year or so and perform a full flush only when the brakes pads or rotors are due.
Thanks. It appears to me though that they can someone replace the brake fluid without getting access to the bleeders, or at least that sounds like what they are saying. I have no idea how this would work though. Isn't this impossible?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
I have my brakefluid flushed out roughly every 2 years, no rotor or pads replacement if not necessary.
This is the opposite of what they are saying, and maybe I did a poor job conveying this.

They are saying "replace the fluid when you get the rotors/pads replaced as it will improve brake feel". They are NOT saying "you might as well replace the brake pads/rotors when you do a brake fluid flush" otherwise I would have reported them to MB Canada and some Auto Association Government body. I hate hate lying dealerships.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks. It appears to me though that they can someone replace the brake fluid without getting access to the bleeders, or at least that sounds like what they are saying. I have no idea how this would work though. Isn't this impossible?

Then they are magicians. Its a flush, you need fluid going in one way and coming out the other and you can't just drain a brake system and then fill it up without introduction a large amount of air.

They use a pressurized machine that screws into the reservoir under the hood and forced new fluid into the system constantly, then all they have to do is open each bleeder until the fluid comes out clean and its done.

That's why I hate dealers, the service adviser is telling you what the mechanic does when it should be the other way around because that adviser has no real clue, he is just there for customer greeting.

I always as to talk to the head mechanic if there's anything specific I need, he has the most knowledge in the dealership about servicing your car.

Last edited by W204Motorsports; 04-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
Then they are magicians. Its a flush, you need fluid going in one way and coming out the other and you can't just drain a brake system and then fill it up without introduction a large amount of air.

They use a pressurized machine that screws into the reservoir under the hood and forced new fluid into the system constantly, then all they have to do is open each bleeder until the fluid comes out clean and its done.

That's why I hate dealers, the service adviser is telling you what the mechanic does when it should be the other way around because that adviser has no real clue, he is just there for customer greeting.

I always as to talk to the head mechanic if there's anything specific I need, he has the most knowledge in the dealership about servicing your car.
Thank you. Can they access the bleeders without removing the wheels?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
No. You need to remove wheels to gain access to bleeder.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
If your pads are close and it would only be another couple months why not just wait to change the brake fluid then? Won't really make any difference to wait that little bit of time. Now if it was a couple years difference that would be different.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My vehicle is due to get the brake fluid replaced, and that's no big deal. That said though, my dealer has long told me...when you replace the brakes, replace the brake fluid at the same time in order to prevent mushy feeling brakes etc.

That said though, here's my problem.

Definitely getting the fluid replaced this week, but I don't want to replace the front brakes just yet (rotors and pads) because the wear sensor hasn't gone off yet. I'm close, and my front pads probably has around 3.5mm left...anyways, is it really that big of a deal to replace the fluid now and get the brakes/rotors replaced a few months from now? Personally I don't even get the logic with what the dealer is saying about replacing both at the same time. These are isolated and sealed systems, no?
Whatever you decide, make sure the tech. does not allow brake fluid to come into contact with your calipers. Brake fluid coming into contact with painted surfaces almost always results in damage to the paint.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
So get a load of this sh**.

I went to the dealer today with two bottles of OEM brake fluid, bought from my favorite place (a wholesaler of OEM stuff). All I ended up doing today was an alignment and brake fluid flush. The dealer makes it painfully clear to me that they do have a machine to replace brake fluid on MB cars without the need to bleed fluid from each wheel. How they do this is beyond me though and I didn't care to ask.

Whatever.

Half way through the day, my new service advisor (my favorite one was promoted and moved on) calls me and says that they can't use the brake fluid that I brought because it doesn't fit their machine that is used to replace fluid. I called bullshi* and said "well, I brought OEM fluid, so if you can't use my fluid, then I want you to take a photo of the fluid bottles that you supposedly use that fits the machine that you use". Lo and behold I'm fed some bullshi* about how nice they were to take the fluid that I use, to then put it in an older bottle that they use so they can use their machine.

I'm sorry, but everything I just heard today smelt like bullsh**. The service manager and I get along and I know him from a LONG time ago, and I didn't raise stink, but something doesn't smell right here. The foreman of the shop is an intelligent person who I feel is honest, so maybe there is some truth to their story, but WTF?

When I did inquire with the service advisor when he first told me that my bottles didn't fit, I asked if they can do a fluid flush the old way, with bleeding of fluid at all 4 corners of the car. He said yes they could, but it would cost much more labour wise than the $130 quoted for the fluid flush using some magical machine and that's inclusive of fluid and labour.

Thoughts?

More importantly, WTF is this magical machine they are using that can replace brake fluid without bleeding fluid at all 4 corners of the car?!

?!?!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by white46
No. You need to remove wheels to gain access to bleeder.
Not at all, I do brake flushes with the wheels on quite often. It's easier with the wheels off, but if there's no other reason to take the wheels off, the flush is gonna get done with them on.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 W204

The dealer makes it painfully clear to me that they do have a machine to replace brake fluid on MB cars without the need to bleed fluid from each wheel.
Never heard of such a thing. Maybe it does exist??

If the car is up on a lift, one can probably bleed each caliper without removing the wheels. If the car is resting on the ground, you might be able to bleed if the wheel design permits access. I can bleed the front calipers on my wife's car, but I can't realistically reach the rear bleeders so the wheel has to come off.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 AM

I went to the dealer today with two bottles of OEM brake fluid, bought from my favorite place (a wholesaler of OEM stuff). All I ended up doing today was an alignment and brake fluid flush. The dealer makes it painfully clear to me that they do have a machine to replace brake fluid on MB cars without the need to bleed fluid from each wheel. How they do this is beyond me though and I didn't care to ask.

Whatever.

Half way through the day, my new service advisor (my favorite one was promoted and moved on) calls me and says that they can't use the brake fluid that I brought because it doesn't fit their machine that is used to replace fluid. I called bullshi* and said "well, I brought OEM fluid, so if you can't use my fluid, then I want you to take a photo of the fluid bottles that you supposedly use that fits the machine that you use". Lo and behold I'm fed some bullshi* about how nice they were to take the fluid that I use, to then put it in an older bottle that they use so they can use their machine.

I'm sorry, but everything I just heard today smelt like bullsh**. The service manager and I get along and I know him from a LONG time ago, and I didn't raise stink, but something doesn't smell right here. The foreman of the shop is an intelligent person who I feel is honest, so maybe there is some truth to their story, but WTF?

When I did inquire with the service advisor when he first told me that my bottles didn't fit, I asked if they can do a fluid flush the old way, with bleeding of fluid at all 4 corners of the car. He said yes they could, but it would cost much more labour wise than the $130 quoted for the fluid flush using some magical machine and that's inclusive of fluid and labour.

Thoughts?

More importantly, WTF is this magical machine they are using that can replace brake fluid without bleeding fluid at all 4 corners of the car?!

?!?!
Encountered identical problem at my Chevy dealer several years ago.

Prepping my Vette for a track day. Didn't have time to bleed the brakes myself so made arrangements for the dealer to accomplish.

Took my own high performance brake fluid. Talking to service advisor when the tech approached and said he couldn't use my brake fluid. I asked why and he explained it was incompatible with their automatic brake bleeding machine. Had never heard of such a thing, so the tech. took me to his service bay and there was a machine with a Wagner logo affixed. The tech. then demonstrated how the machine functioned. Such enough it was only compatible with Wagner fluid, similar to a Kerig coffee maker. Turns out Wagner provided the machine at no charge but in return only Wagner brake fluid could be used.

So the tech. got to it and bled my brakes the old fashioned way. And I was on my way.

I don't remember how they handled the issue with cycling fluid through the calipers.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 04-18-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Encountered identical problem at my Chevy dealer several years ago.

Prepping my Vette for a track day. Didn't have time to bleed the brakes myself so made arrangements for the dealer to accomplish.

Took my own high performance brake fluid. Talking to service advisor when the tech approached and said he couldn't use my brake fluid. I asked why and he explained it was incompatible with their automatic brake bleeding machine. Had never heard of such a thing, so the tech. took me to his service bay and there was a machine with a Wagner logo affixed. The tech. then demonstrated how the machine functioned. Such enough it was only compatible with Wagner fluid, similar to a Kerig coffee maker. Turns out Wagner provided the machine at no charge but in return only Wagner brake fluid could be used.

So the tech. got to it and bled my brakes the old fashioned way. And I was on my way.

I don't remember how they handled the issue with cycling fluid through the calipers.
Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Just to close the loop on this.

I found this:

So yeah, I still call BS they couldn't use my brake fluid because the bottle shape was different than what fit their machine. The fluid is emptied into a reservoir on the machine so the shape of the bottle is irrelevant. Also, I brought oem fluid, so further adding to the theory that they were lying to me.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Thumbs up

Just to close the loop on this.

I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=aNfErSgFnUo

So yeah, I still call BS they couldn't use my brake fluid because the bottle shape was different than what fit their machine. The fluid is emptied into a reservoir on the machine so the shape of the bottle is irrelevant. Also, I brought oem fluid, so further adding to the theory that they were lying to me.
I agree. Good work.
superangrypenguin (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I haven't heard of the machine but I would have called BS regardless, because you don't simply screw a bottle like that into the machine, it would obviously have to be dumped into something.
superangrypenguin (04-19-2018)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
WOW! That is insane and glad your ok! Looks like the car in front of you was driving into the far left gutter as that also kicks up all the crap. Did you have any issues with the rain sensors after changing the windshield? I gotta do mine too...I have like 7 cracks all over the place.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport

Whatever.

Thoughts?

?!?!
they are full of sh*t. First, they use a pressure bleeder for this. They put the fluid in a reservoir which is then pressurized or pumped by an electric pump. They don’t use the brake fluid bottle. They fit an adapter to the reservoir and pressurize the system. Then they crack one bleeder at a time, since the system is pressurized the fluid is then pushed out the bleeder until you see the new fluid, close it go to the next and repeat. Starting from the caliper furthest from the master cyl and going to the next closest. You don’t need to remove the wheels. It’s impossible to do it otherwise, unless their special machine is a pneumatic vacuum breeder they suck the fluid out of the reservoir and then fill it up and vualah done! The tech must have been happy, he got a free bottle of OEM fluid to use as backup, hate to tell u. 1L of fluid is enough to do a good job at flushing the system.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
WOW! That is insane and glad your ok! Looks like the car in front of you was driving into the far left gutter as that also kicks up all the crap. Did you have any issues with the rain sensors after changing the windshield? I gotta do mine too...I have like 7 cracks all over the place.
mine worked fine without calibration.