C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 passenger-side airbag recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C230 (sold), 1993 300E 2.8 (W124) (sold), 2012 C250 (W204) (sold), 2005 E320 (W211)
Angry C250 passenger-side airbag recall

I certainly hope that Mercedes is reading these forums. If this issue can not be resolved in the next month or so, I swear that I will NEVER buy another Mercedes again. EVER.
We have a 2012 Mercedes C250 Luxury, that we got a letter about the NHTSA Recall# 17V017 (see attached screenshot) long long time ago. This Recall was reported Jan 18, 2017, which was more than 18 months ago!! Now if I go to https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall and type in my VIN#, all it says is that Status: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

Component(s): PND TAK PSAB PHASE 2

Are you kidding me? An airbag recall that kept delaying for more than 18 months and still NO resolution and NO parts? We owns another Honda vehicle (top trim of CRV), and it took Honda less than a month to perform the recall (and they did both passenger and driver side airbags, just to be safe).

All I'm getting in the past 12 months, is Mercedes just kept trying to upsell us by trying to convince us to buy or upgrade to another Mercedes. There is ZERO update about when we will ever get this "17V017" recall performed on our current C250.

Enough is enough.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
You are not alone with the airbag recalls.
My 2011 C300 received the first MB notice in May, 2016, and the 5th notice was about three months ago. Every time I called the dealer I was told parts are not available yet. In last call about three months ago, dealer told me MB is working on 2006 -2007 airbag recalls.

I had my Infiniti airbag recall serviced in very short time years ago. This time it is a massive recalls across so many brands due to Takata scandal. Therefore, it will take much longer time to receive the service.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:22 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by chuang
I certainly hope that Mercedes is reading these forums.
Doubtful!

If this issue can not be resolved in the next month or so, I swear that I will NEVER buy another Mercedes again. EVER.
Resolving this recall is not solely under Mercedes Benz's control. The NHTSA along with MB and the 18 other vehicle manufacturers that were either required to issue a recall or voluntarily decided to participate have established a priority list as to which makes/models and geographic location of each will receive replacement airbags as supplies become available. Based on priority as it relates to the number of injuries or death that can be directly attributed to the defective Takata airbag inflator. Another major factor is the fact that Takata can only supply a limited number of replacement airbags to do these repairs. And hence, this result:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
As for your Honda...

We owns another Honda vehicle (top trim of CRV), and it took Honda less than a month to perform the recall (and they did both passenger and driver side airbags, just to be safe).
Based on the latest reliable source I can find, there have been 13 death and over 180 injuries to Honda drivers/passengers related to this airbag defect. Naturally, that placed Hond on top of the priority list to receive any and all supply of new replacement airbags first, before any other manufacturer. And the reason they did both, passenger and driver, is obviously is based on wanting "to be safe", however, and with s tight a supply that Takata has been able to produce, Honda isn't being generous be replacing it "to be safe". They is simply because both had the same type inflator with the same design defect that would likely cause injury or death.

Conversely, as far as Mercedes Benz, the recall was issued on a voluntary basis, and "out of an abundance of caution", as there have been no reported injuries or deaths in any Mercedes Benz models at all, that can be attributed to the airbag defect. This implied that Mercedes Benz ended up being listed towards the bottom of the priority list. Nt by their choice, but simply because other models required more immediate attention.

Are you kidding me? An airbag recall that kept delaying for more than 18 months and still NO resolution and NO parts? We owns another Honda vehicle (top trim of CRV), and it took Honda less than a month to perform the recall (and they did both passenger and driver side airbags, just to be safe).

All I'm getting in the past 12 months, is Mercedes just kept trying to upsell us by trying to convince us to buy or upgrade to another Mercedes. There is ZERO update about when we will ever get this "17V017" recall performed on our current C250.
The NHTSA has estimated that it will likely take until 2023 to get this massive recall fully taken care of. I don't think it will take that long but still, with Mercedes Benz being close to the bottom of the priority list, the likelihood that we will see any reprieve before your deadline of "within the next month or so" is nill. Actually, and even when Mercedes Benz might start receiving its own allocation of replacement airbags, the fact that older models will take precedence over newer models, means you'll have to wait until all MY2005 through MY2011 Mercedes Benz models are completed before they will get to your MY2012 C250.

Personally, I think you're overreacting. But don't mind me... You still have several choices including but not limited to upgrading your C250 to a newer MB model or you can sell it and buy another make!