C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ECU Replacement ???

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W204 C180 Kompressor AMG Line 1.6L 154 HP Supercharged with Pedal Shift
Angry ECU Replacement ???

Hi guys, I am seeking an advice for a very frustrated issue facing right now. About an year ago, one day, suddenly series of messages appeared "EBD, ABS, ESP inoperative. See Owner's Manual", "Run Flat Indicator inoperative", "Power steering malfunction. See Owner's Manual". All three messages appeared simultaneously scrolling from one to the other. Couldn't drive the car because the steering was so hard. This happened in a morning few minutes after I started driving to the office. I got really scared and called local Mercedes Service Center and they came with a carrier, took the car to their service center. After checking the service adviser told me they couldn't find a specific problem but they re-programmed the ECU anyway. Car was running normal again and after few months it occurred again. I figured out, once they hooked the scanner to scan, problem goes away temporary for few months and comes back. In order to check this, when the issue came again, I went to a local repair center close-by and hooked their scanner and scanned. Likes I suspected, problem disappeared. Of course temporary. 2 days ago, problem came back again. I switched off the engine for roughly 30 minutes and started again. Now, car is running fine. God knows for how long ... :-( Car has not yet exceeded 50,000km.

Apart from this issue, some times one side fog light comes on while the car was parked (key taken out). I experienced burnt (fried) parking lights (front & rear) several times within a year. (holders melted). Both the Mercedes Service Center and local repair center says the scanner shows faulty ECU. They suggest to replace the ECU. But I suspect their diagnosis. Can any maestro here share a thought regarding this because 1) repair is costly 2) I want to make sure the repair will eliminate the problem

W204 C180 compressor BlueEFFICIENCY manufactured 2009 October. Engine, supercharged 1,597cc M271 KE 16 ML.
ADVANCED AGILITY package with sports mode
ABS
BAS (Brake Assist)
Adaptive brake lamps
ESP® (Electronic Stability Program)
ETS (Electronic Traction Support)
EBV (electronic brake-power distribution)
Immobiliser
Tow-away protection
Interior motion sensor
Automatic anti-dazzle mirrors
Rear seat belt status indicator
Headlamp range control
Rain Sensor
Summer opening function / Convenience closing
Luxury multi-function steering wheel
Surround Lighting
Cruise Control
Speedtronic (varialbe / permenent)
Hill start assist
Parktronic

SA Codes
Code Value
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
244 SPORTS SEATS, FRONT
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
255B No code designation available
280 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
287 THROUGH-LOADING FEATURE
294 KNEE AIRBAG
299 PRESAFE
305B HEAD UNIT LANGUAGE - BRITISH ENGLISH
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
345 RAIN SENSOR
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
428 STEER WHEEL GEARSHIFT BUTTONS/SHIFT PADDLE PAINTED
43P CONTROL CODE MARKETING
440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
442 MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL (12 BUTTONS)
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
477 TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER
486 SPORTS SUSPENSION
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
510 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH CD CHANGER
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
53N TAX CODE Sindelfingen plant / GRAZ
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
580 AIR CONDITIONER
584 ELECTRIC WINDOW REGULATOR
5XXL EUROPE
613 HEADLAMP LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
690 EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
700A LEATHER COMBINATION
701A LEATHER COMBINATION - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
739 TRIM PIECES - ALUMINUM
74V LOADINDEX SPEED- + 92Y 94Y XL XL +
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
776 WHEEL ARCH ENLARGEMENT
786 AMG DOUBLE-SPOKE WHEELS 18" WITH MIXED TIRES
792U PALLADIUM SILVER METALLIC PAINT
79N TAX CODE Sindelfingen plant / GRAZ
800 AEJ 09/1
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION

954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
99N TAX CODE Sindelfingen plant / GRAZ
B12 WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL
F204 MODEL SERIES 204
FW LIMOUSINE
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
It has REAR AXLE
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K13 Control code SERVICE INTERVAL 25000 KM
M16 DISPLACEMENT 1.6 LITER
M271 R4-GASOLINE ENGINE M271
P49 MIRRORS PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U01 REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U37 Foglamp
U88 EXHAUST SYSTEM BRITISH VERSION
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Seems like the ECU would be of suspicion for sure...
The following users liked this post:
upulnc (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
If you think back, is there anything at all you activated or done differently or happed differently that you usually dont do-? As well as those burned light holders can one assume nothing is burned now-?
upulnc (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W204 C180 Kompressor AMG Line 1.6L 154 HP Supercharged with Pedal Shift
Thanks a million guys, for the prompt reply. For the entire life of the car, it was maintained by (and only by) the Mercedes Service Centre. But in a corner of my novice and non-technical mind, there is a thought that this might relate to a electrical short circuit like damaged wire. That's why I turned to you guys for a third opinion :-) I told this to my service adviser also and he denied any such issue. But I know they never go under and check for such a wild guess. What they do is check anything with the scanner. Car is not modified. It is as same as came out of the factory.

I take it if you also say it looks like the ECU but my question is, how the hell the ECU can become faulty. It is well protected and not exposed to the outside. If I put a new one, how long it will last? Is this the quality we expect from Mercedes? I mean, ECU? the most important part???

had many other issues also. window control buttons peeled off. now they are white. you can't see which one for open and which for close. a/c vents chrome control knobs fallen. Service Centre says have to replace entire vent piece. some hairline scratches appeared all over from inside of the windscreen. now night driving is like hell because of these scratch marks visible in coming vehicle head lights. things I never expected from Mercedes. specially for a guy like me who take care of the car better than the wife, using 100% genuine Mercedes parts and keep the maintenance record up to date. only thing I do wrong that most guys doesn't do is instead of keeping the car covered at home, I drive it daily. That is also less than 10km/day. Therefore, I'm bit disappointed and might consider a Honda Accord as the next car.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Originally Posted by upulnc
relate to a electrical short circuit like damaged wire.
I'm not an electrical guy so I couldn't say. But the fact that they're on totally opposite sides for the lights and what not, I doubt it would be (at least definitely not a single wire)
I take it if you also say it looks like the ECU but my question is, how the hell the ECU can become faulty. It is well protected and not exposed to the outside. If I put a new one, how long it will last? Is this the quality we expect from Mercedes? I mean, ECU? the most important part???
Sometimes they're lemons I guess, could have previously had a bad tune or something. It's not uncommon with cars in general.

had many other issues also. window control buttons peeled off. now they are white. you can't see which one for open and which for close. a/c vents chrome control knobs fallen. Service Centre says have to replace entire vent piece. some hairline scratches appeared all over from inside of the windscreen. now night driving is like hell because of these scratch marks visible in coming vehicle head lights. things I never expected from Mercedes. specially for a guy like me who take care of the car better than the wife, using 100% genuine Mercedes parts and keep the maintenance record up to date. only thing I do wrong that most guys doesn't do is instead of keeping the car covered at home, I drive it daily. That is also less than 10km/day. Therefore, I'm bit disappointed and might consider a Honda Accord as the next car.
I've never had an issue with buttons, which is weird. Maybe there were a few different source factories and some were better than others lol. Still a common car problem (especially Nissan's)

I have like two ac vent clip knobs that are broken, but this has been an issue in every car I have owned. Mercedes fixed it with the new airplane style vents in the new cars.

I don't even know about the scratches.

I drive about 100km/day except during the summer, which is about 20km/day. I think it's a great daily car, although like all, not every car will be perfect.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
If you dont have a new or fresh battery that would be my first thing to replace then see if the problem returns.
What I have experienced with my W204 is when the battery is getting to the point of replacement when cranking the voltage drops down enough to
make some modules loose there pre-programmed memory and stop working or send up fault messages, it may be possible this is what you have.
verlin samonte (03-15-2022)