C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Repainting and Color Matching Hood in Diamond White Metallic (3 Stage Paint)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Question Repainting and Color Matching Hood in Diamond White Metallic (3 Stage Paint)

Need to get the hood repainted.
The factory color is Diamond White Metallic
3 stage paint, looks different in different lighting conditions, extra $1000+ factory option
Can any certified Mercedes body shop adequately perform this job without having matching or luminescence differences from the rest of the vehicle?
The hood is one of the more important focal points, so want to have it done right.
Any advice on which brands/shops (PPG, Glasurit, etc) work best for replacing an OEM Diamond White 3-Stage?
I saw an example at one shop, and I could tell the newly painted areas had a higher content of metallic reflection compared to the original (probably a paint brand/mix issue)
Thank you in advance for further advise from those with experience.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by rb23lb
Need to get the hood repainted.
The factory color is Diamond White Metallic
3 stage paint, looks different in different lighting conditions, extra $1000+ factory option
Can any certified Mercedes body shop adequately perform this job without having matching or luminescence differences from the rest of the vehicle?
The hood is one of the more important focal points, so want to have it done right.
Any advice on which brands/shops (PPG, Glasurit, etc) work best for replacing an OEM Diamond White 3-Stage?
I saw an example at one shop, and I could tell the newly painted areas had a higher content of metallic reflection compared to the original (probably a paint brand/mix issue)
Thank you in advance for further advise from those with experience.
what you have is pretty much a pearl paint (3 stage). if your focus is repainting the hood you will need to blend the fenders so the repaint looks good. most good body shops use PPG or Dupont paint which are upper tier quality. the key is not the paint, its the painter. how he mixes the paint and sprays it effects the finish and thats 95% of the importance especially with a 3 stage paint. do your homework when choosing a shop, and visit it first. pay close attention to how they behave, how organized and clean the shop is, and don't be afraid to ask questions. the shop doesn't have to be Mercedes certified, the quality of their work is more important.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Pearl white is just hard to match even in the best hands ... don't be afraid to send it back if you think it's not matching ... I'll never buy pearl white again.