C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering wheel not locked but ESL is...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300
Steering wheel not locked but ESL is...

I just experienced the whole ESL/ESI issue.

I purchased another reprogrammed ESL from a local shop.

My issue... my steering wheel is not locked but the ESL on my steering column can not be removed (can’t push down on screw after bolt is removed).

Can I just remove the plug from the ESL and plug in my new one? Could I just leave the stock ESL there and zip tie the new one underneath the dash somewhere?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:31 AM

2011 C300
Sucks no body responded. (Not even sure if I posted in the correct area)

but anyway...

I couldn’t figure out how to remove the steering column/shaft so I had to figure out to remove the locked electronic mechanism underneath the dash.

i was able to grind off the locked screw on the ESL underneath the dash by using a dremel and a mirror. Wasnt too difficult and I used the proper safety equipment (safety glasses and gloves).

After doing this I don’t think it’s neceessary to remove the stearing column.

Hope this helps anyone expericancing this.
The following users liked this post:
Jay orr (08-08-2020)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Sorry, haven't had it happen.

Hopefully this information will help others out.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
When removing the ESL while the system still working you need to put the key in the ignition to make sure it unlocks and then disconnect the battery. Otherwise, it will relock when you remove the key and you won't be able to push in the bolt that allows you to remove it.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 PM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by xEryx
When removing the ESL while the system still working you need to put the key in the ignition to make sure it unlocks and then disconnect the battery. Otherwise, it will relock when you remove the key and you won't be able to push in the bolt that allows you to remove it.
So basically, take it apart, see if it’s locked, put it back together, do what you stated, take it apart again and hope it’ll push back in?

Old 12-20-2018, 01:24 PM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
Why would you do the job twice? You said ESL is fine right? If you put the key in the ignition and you hear the unlock sound and steering wheel unlocks, you should be safe to remove the steering column and remove the ESL without cutting the bolt.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:57 PM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by xEryx
Why would you do the job twice? You said ESL is fine right? If you put the key in the ignition and you hear the unlock sound and steering wheel unlocks, you should be safe to remove the steering column and remove the ESL without cutting the bolt.
Negative...
The steering wheel WAS NOT locked, but the ESL was. I couldn’t press down after I removed the nut 🥜.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 PM

2014 CLS63 S AMG
"The problem when the steering is locked is that once the nut is off it can not be pressed in to remove the lock. When replacing the entire lock this isn't an issue because one tap with an air hammer and it breaks the internals and allows for removal."

"In order to remove the lock we need to manually unlock the the mechanism, this is accomplished by drilling a small hole to manually turn the gear inside. On the right side of the lock, as it sits in car, up at the top, you will see one of the roll pins that is outlined by a U shape in the casting. Where the bottom of the U meets the other half is where to drill the hole. I use a 3/16" bit that is also used for drilling rivets so I don't worry about going too deep, see following pictures. Aim the drill straight in and go slowly, if you go downwards you risk hitting the gear"

This is the thread I followed and it also states that if the steering wheel is unlocked, then the bolt should push in.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lots-pics.html

But if you cut the bolt as you stated, then all you need to do is remove the old one and put the new one.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:58 PM

2010 Mercedes C300 sport V6
Hey I experienced the same problem couldn't get out the column. That dremel idea is awesome... What attachment did you use to cut that no idea what kinda metal that is on esl if it even is metal 🤷‍♂️