Question about tires - I am an idiot - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Question about tires - I am an idiot >

Question about tires - I am an idiot

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008-Present: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Question about tires - I am an idiot

Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Question about tires - I am an idiot

Hello,

I am new here and wondering what everyone thinks about my current situation. I have a 2013 C300 Sport, so the tires front and back are different sizes. I had my car in for maintenance and was told I needed new back tires, this is a very common thing come to find out so I called up my tire place and got a new set of rubbers for the back. I got back to work, checked my tires out....my heart sank. The front tires are a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2....the backs are a Contiental Extremecontact DWS. Two different treads, but all of them are all-season tires. Did I just waste $500 ??

I called the MB dealer here in my area, explained the situation and they didn't seem concerned. Do I have reason to worry?? I am a total idiot and its all my fault for ordering the wrong tire...tire place won't take them back either.
nexgen is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 03:56 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
Hello,

I am new here and wondering what everyone thinks about my current situation. I have a 2013 C300 Sport, so the tires front and back are different sizes. I had my car in for maintenance and was told I needed new back tires, this is a very common thing come to find out so I called up my tire place and got a new set of rubbers for the back. I got back to work, checked my tires out....my heart sank. The front tires are a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2....the backs are a Contiental Extremecontact DWS. Two different treads, but all of them are all-season tires. Did I just waste $500 ??

I called the MB dealer here in my area, explained the situation and they didn't seem concerned. Do I have reason to worry?? I am a total idiot and its all my fault for ordering the wrong tire...tire place won't take them back either.
Is the car 4MATIC or rear-wheel drive? If 4MATIC, you have a problem, if rear-wheel drive, you're ok.
xsever is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by xsever View Post
Is the car 4MATIC or rear-wheel drive? If 4MATIC, you have a problem, if rear-wheel drive, you're ok.
It is a 4Matic
nexgen is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:06 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
It is a 4Matic
If you mix tire brands or tread depths, the transfer case has to make up the difference between the front and rear axles and that results in additional strain exerted on it. What's the tread depth in the front and the rear?
xsever is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by xsever View Post
If you mix tire brands or tread depths, the transfer case has to make up the difference between the front and rear axles and that results in additional strain exerted on it. What's the tread depth in the front and the rear?
Rears are brand new
Fronts I'd have to check and see what the service place said but only about 25K miles on them.

I've called two different Mercedes dealers and both say it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing they expressed any concern over was that the different treads might track different.
nexgen is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
Rears are brand new
The only thing they expressed any concern over was that the different treads might track different.
This is what causes the extra strain on the transfer case. Someone people even go as far as recommending all 4 tires even if 1 of them is damaged and needs replacement.

xsever is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:17 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by xsever View Post
This is what causes the extra strain on the transfer case. Someone people even go as far as recommending all 4 tires even if 1 of them is damaged and needs replacement.
Pretty much why I've been asking...not sure why the dealer would say they don't see any problems, and that it wouldn't cause any long term harm to the car...but I'm seeing differently on here. You'd think the dealer of all people would want me to replace the tires to get more money out of me.

Both dealers suggested the wheels would spin at the same rate regardless of treads/brand. The issue would be in if I had one brand on the front right and a different on front left. Being that the difference is front to rear both places haven't expressed much concern.
nexgen is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:33 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,067
Thanked 136 Times in 125 Posts
W204
Not a good idea, mainly from a traction/stability perspective.

Hell I dont even mix speed/load ratings, let alone different tires!
superangrypenguin is online now  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North Stonington
Posts: 25
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz C300
Dealer wants to sell you a new car that's why they aren't concerned...
townie15 is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 06:53 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by townie15 View Post
Dealer wants to sell you a new car that's why they aren't concerned...
Hahahahahahahahahaha! So true!
xsever is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by xsever View Post
Hahahahahahahahahaha! So true!
Youre both morons
nexgen is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,066
Thanked 246 Times in 225 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
Lmfao

Match the tires
Adi-Benz is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 960
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport - 2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
Youre both morons
Thank you for calling us morons after providing you with information and helping. Very much appreciated.

Although townie15 was joking, but there's some truth in what he's saying which shouldn't have offended you. Dealerships will try to charge you and make you pay as much as they can. That's why we call them the Stealerships.

Good luck anyway.

Last edited by xsever; 01-08-2019 at 03:19 PM.
xsever is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to xsever For This Useful Post:
townie15 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 263
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
2015 ML350
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
Both dealers suggested the wheels would spin at the same rate regardless of treads/brand. The issue would be in if I had one brand on the front right and a different on front left. Being that the difference is front to rear both places haven't expressed much concern.
This.
Having 2 separate brands (front vs back) isn't ideal but not the end of the world. don't lose sleep over this and just correct the problem when its time for new tires.
M~Factor is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 03:35 PM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 640
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
As long as the tires on the same AXLE are the same size it would affect the trasfer case. It would be different if you had a very worn tire and a brand new tire on the front or back. So, you are good as far as that goes. As for the tires being different brands, as long as they are the same type and quality (all summer tires, all all seasons, etc) I would think it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in every day driving. However, you said you have the Conit DWS tires, which are all seasons and you said the other two are Comp T/As. If that is correct you are mixing a high performance SUMMER ONLY tire with all seasons. If you have the Comp TA 2 A/S tires, then you are good. If you just have the Comp TA 2s and where you live experiences colder weather and snow, that is NOT a good idea and I would change then out. Thos summer tires would get rock hard and any little bit of snow or cold and you would have significantly less grip. Even if where you live is warm I wouldn't mix two all seasons and two summer high performance tires.
Alfadude is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Kelvin Bellrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 147
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
2007 CLK550 Coupe, 2015 Ford Focus, 2012 C350 4-Matic
Deleted
Kelvin Bellrose is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about tires - I am an idiot


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: