MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   2011 C300 4Matic Sport Maintenance (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/732327-2011-c300-4matic-sport-maintenance.html)

MercedesSteven 01-08-2019 01:28 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport Maintenance

Hi,

I just flipped to 100,000 miles. I have had regular oil changes, filter changes, brake jobs, etc. by an independent mechanic. However, I have received a list of suggested maintenance items that perhaps only a dealership can perform. They are:

Serpentine Belt
Front Differential
Power Steering
Rear Differential
Transfer Case
Automatic Transmission fluid

Is all of this necessary? I need this car to last a long time, so if there are any other items recommended please let me know.

Also, I just got tires replaced at the local Honda Dealership (we don't have a MB dealership in our town). They could not give an alignment as requested due to MB's proprietary system. Car seems to be aligned when I drive, should I take to MB for 4 wheel alignment?

Not a car person. Just wanted opinions. Thanks.

catmandoob 01-08-2019 02:10 PM

Well if your indy is halfway good he should be able to handle all that except alignment.

Transmission is easy to service, just drain and fill and be sure to do torque converter drain too. You should have had 2 transmission services already anyway and last one around the 80k miles mark.

Not really sure why Honda didn't want to do alignment, granted alignment can be finicky so maybe that's why since they were Honda guys/gals.

I wouldn't let Dealer do all the work that's for sure, not to mention hopefully you have a competent dealer near you.

As far as necessary, that depends, most is to a degree preventative maintenance such as serpentine belt but the idler pulley bearing is known to go bad and it's a good peace of mind in my opinion. The one thing I would add is brake fluid change as well if that hasn't been done in past years.

The goal is to get another 100k miles out of it right. Some TLC is never a bad thing in my book. :y

dennish 01-08-2019 02:16 PM

I agree, an indy can perform those services.

xsever 01-08-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesSteven (Post 7648947)
Hi,

I just flipped to 100,000 miles. I have had regular oil changes, filter changes, brake jobs, etc. by an independent mechanic. However, I have received a list of suggested maintenance items that perhaps only a dealership can perform. They are:

Serpentine Belt
Front Differential
Power Steering
Rear Differential
Transfer Case

Is all of this necessary? I need this car to last a long time, so if there are any other items recommended please let me know.

Also, I just got tires replaced at the local Honda Dealership (we don't have a MB dealership in our town). They could not give an alignment as requested due to MB's proprietary system. Car seems to be aligned when I drive, should I take to MB for 4 wheel alignment?

Replacing the transmission fluid and filter is a must every 40k miles for 7G transmissions and every 70k miles for 7G-plus transmissions. Not sure which one you car has. I would also definitely change the differential fluid on the front and rear since it's a 4MATIC car. This way you can ensure it will reliably get to 200k miles. The rest are really simple, easy, and inexpensive jobs.

timlippold 01-08-2019 08:44 PM

I did the differential fluid, power steering and accessory belt/tensioner around the 100k mark. These are good preventative items to have done. Another item to confirm are the spark plugs and coolant. Agree with the other comments on transmission fluid which is at every 40k miles.

dennish 01-08-2019 08:48 PM

Coolant is good for 15 years. Mercedes has placed packets of chemicals in coolant system to achieve this length of life.

xsever 01-09-2019 01:04 AM

The spark plugs should be replaced every 60k miles or 6 years. The coolant every 150k miles or 15 years. Differential fluid every 100k miles and the front takes 1.1L and the rear takes 1L. The fluid needs to be 75W85 as per MB spec 235.7

superangrypenguin 01-09-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MercedesSteven (Post 7648947)
Hi,

Serpentine Belt
Front Differential
Power Steering
Rear Differential
Transfer Case

Serpentine belt - if it's not making noise, don't replace it.

With the ATF (and torque converter), follow the manu. specified interval.

All of the other items do not have a specified interval, and is, as per MB, "lifetime". Are they necessary? According to MB, they are not. But would I change it?....eh, I love my car, don't get me wrong, but I find it difficult to contradict a bunch of super smart PHD folks in Stuttgart.

With the alignment, a proper alignment can only be done at a MB dealership. See those holes near the lugnuts in your OEM rim? That's for the alignment machine to mount to your rims. That said, can you get a darn good one done anywhere? Yes, they just mount the sensors to the tire/wheel, as opposed to directly to the hub.