C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes Benz Canada recall: W204 rust problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Mercedes Benz Canada recall: W204 rust problems.

This spans a few models, but FYI

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0
Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Wow. that's in addition to the rusting-out problem on the rear control arm mounting points? Sad to hear

BTW, is this saying essentially every MBZ model since 2011 has electric power steering? I would swear my car has power steering (hydraulic) hoses, though I haven't gotten down in there far enough to verify they go to the steering rack ...
Old 02-10-2019, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Interesting, I have zero rust on my car but it's something to keep an eye on!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by MB Marko
Interesting, I have zero rust on my car but it's something to keep an eye on!
Same here! The subframe issue is resolved post FL I think. I just did the brakes on my car and sure enough, no rust to speak of, other than surface rust on emissions components which is normal as it's gone through its 7 winter now.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I also participated in that thread, as a prefacelift and have zero rust. My car sits outside and has been out there for at least 2 winters. Daily driver, salted every day. In fact, my black wheels are white right now.

Subframe is totally flawless.

Also being a 2010 I guess I don't have this issue. But that might just be ye darn Canuck models
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I also participated in that thread, as a prefacelift and have zero rust. My car sits outside and has been out there for at least 2 winters. Daily driver, salted every day. In fact, my black wheels are white right now.

Also being a 2010 I guess I don't have this issue. But that might just be ye darn Canuck models
That might be the main reason or main differentiator. Many cars are garaged these days. The trick to keeping cars long term which have to deal with salt is to ensure they stay as cold as possible. By leaving your car outside, I suspect you are helping your case!

That's the one thing about Audi which blows my mind as to why MB hasn't stole it. Audi does something called an INKA test, and while Audis are terrible when it comes to reliability, they withstand rust well due to said INKA test. They test the crap out of their cars from a corrosion standpoint. I wish MB did the same, although my 204 has been great to me in that regard.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 4-matic
Catastrophic steering failure

I discovered this Canadian recall as I was searching the internet trying to find information regarding the catastrophic steering failure I'd just experienced in my W212.

We had just returned home from work and the steering failed as we were turning into our driveway. Had it failed 10 minutes earlier, we would have been traveling 70 MPH on the highway and these cars are impossible to steer without the power assist. I shudder to think of what would have happened.

The failure was the result of the electric motor parting company with the steering rack. Unbelievably, it is bolted on with three, 8 mm Aluminum bolts! These had corroded clean through and the motor fell off.

I live in Vermont, just South of the Canadian border, we use salt on our roads also. It's been two months since the recall was issued in Canada, but there has been nothing on this side of the border. We were extremely lucky. Others may not be.

I've filed a report with the NHTSA, but to add insult to injury, I'm being told by my dealer that I can't repair my own rack (all it needs at this point is a new drive belt) I have to buy a new rack.

-Doug

The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (02-20-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by lotuar
I discovered this Canadian recall as I was searching the internet trying to find information regarding the catastrophic steering failure I'd just experienced in my W212.

We had just returned home from work and the steering failed as we were turning into our driveway. Had it failed 10 minutes earlier, we would have been traveling 70 MPH on the highway and these cars are impossible to steer without the power assist. I shudder to think of what would have happened.

The failure was the result of the electric motor parting company with the steering rack. Unbelievably, it is bolted on with three, 8 mm Aluminum bolts! These had corroded clean through and the motor fell off.

I live in Vermont, just South of the Canadian border, we use salt on our roads also. It's been two months since the recall was issued in Canada, but there has been nothing on this side of the border. We were extremely lucky. Others may not be.

I've filed a report with the NHTSA, but to add insult to injury, I'm being told by my dealer that I can't repair my own rack (all it needs at this point is a new drive belt) I have to buy a new rack.

-Doug
Whoa! Glad you are safe. Followup with NHTSA on this and definitely definitely call MBUSA and explain to them what happened and tell them how the dealer is treating you. A problem like this affecting safety should be fully covered by MBUSA. If they don't budge at first, let them know you're taking this up with NHTSA and that this can cause a lot of headache versus repairing your vehicle for you at their own cost.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Crazy! I called 2 dealerships and both of them say they haven't heard of anything like this happening or even a recall LOL. All they told me is if your cars affected I'll get a letter.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c300 4 matic sport
2010 C300 4-matic Sport with Subframe rust

Idk if you’ll ever see this, but I have a 2010 c300 4matic sport and they just found my subframe is rusted. I live in Pgh. lots of winter. Car is not garage kept. But, if I were you, I’d keep an eye out. I started having issues with over steering being needed. It all happened after my ignition switch went . it seems like all of the common c300 issues in my year have happened like clock work. ridiculous, but true.
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz