C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 M271 Engine oil filter housing leak repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:55 PM

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
W204 M271 Engine oil filter housing leak repair

Hi,
I have owned my 2008 C200k since 65,k KM and now has done 120,k KM during this time I have always had oil drips at the sump area around the oil level indicator and drain plug.
Before Christmas my wife rang me at work, car broken down won’t start no noise lights on the dash no crank. I ask does the steering unlock -yes, great that means the EIS system is okay.

We had it towed home and I found the starter had totally failed, in the process of swapping in a brand new one (with the starter removed) I could see oil dripping from the base of the oil filter/cooler housing.

During the Corona virus stay at home I have removed and replaced the gaskets at the oil cooler and oil filter housing then reassembled and have gone for a short test drive.

Here is what I did.
Disconnected the battery then removed the air box including the engine computer, hardest part was disconnecting the spring loaded hose clip connecting air box to the air inlet duct near the firewall.
Next up was the inlet manifold, I did not fancy disturbing the fuel injectors so I carefully bent up the FWD mounting bracket for the injector rail enough so when the inlet manifold was unbolted it slopped out under the bent bracket and above the supercharger.

That Just left removing the starter motor then the 90 degree supercharger elbow, that was enough excitement for the day.
The next morning I arrived to see the amount of oil which had drained out on the floor from the supercharger air inlet elbow, I put it outside on the wood pile and still more oil draining out.

This photo shows the bent up injector rail FWD bracket allowing the inlet manifold removal.

All the parts cleaned &ready for assembly

The oil filter housing is held on with four bolts and one water hose and clip, just make sure you drain the radiator and engine block first.
Shown with new oil filter and housing ring gasket installed.

This is the oil cooler mounted in the bottom of the filter housing, I installed a new ring gasket here as well.
Next up bolt it back on.

I installed four new ring gaskets on the inlet manifold then installed it.

I devised this method to hold the hose clip open while I installed the air box then twisted the alloy to let the clamp jump out and tighten on the hose. A real PITA but thankfully it worked.

Air box in just connect up a few things.

I know I have probably glanced across a few steps like the starter motor removal and install. Every air pipe I looked in was coated in engine oil, that includes the air temp sensor and throttle assembly.
I traced the oil to coming in to the air pipes originating from the rocker cover breather hose. Having time on my hands I designed a temporary oil catch tank from what I had laying around home during the lock down. Given the circumstances I think the Castrol Two Stroke oil container is approximate and I will leave it on for 10k KM road test to see is there is anything in the container.

It is all back to gather now, new oil anti freeze and had a short road test.
Dave

The following users liked this post:
alecmascot (04-19-2020)