C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

EIS fault. Can't move car (automatic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C350 W204
EIS fault. Can't move car (automatic)

Hello,

I have a 204 350 CDI estate that has a problem with the EIS. A mechanic has already connected his diagnostic tool to the car to check if that's the problem and yes, it needs changing, so just a few things:

The car is stuck in P (park)! I can't move it anywhere!! It's an automatic and where the ignition doesn't recognise the key, the steering wheel doesn't electronically unlock and I can't put the car in N (neutral). The car is in the way and I really need to move it. Does anyone know what I can do to move the car? A guy told me that automatic cars have a switch that temporarily make the car manual just to get out of trouble. If this car has that option, could someone please tell me how to do that.

Secondly. If I replace the EIS, would I have to reprogram my keys to the new EIS or would the car already recognize the old keys? Is this an expensive job to do?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Kind regards.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:21 PM
SPONSOR

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
95% of the time the EIS has not failed, the ESL has failed. This is a little motor that locks your steering wheel, and yes, your car won't start.

Do NOT replace the EIS as it is significantly more expensive and is usually not the culprit. ESL can be fixed for much cheaper and is often the cause of the problem.

You can put the car in neutral by pulling the inside of the gear shift trim on the passenger side (covered by leather) inwards towards the driver side. You can then slide the gear shift cover up when released.
Towards the back end of the shifter, there is a little button you can push down and hold, then move the gear knob into neutral. Keep in mind, you can roll the car, but you CANNOT move the steering wheel.

If you can get the key in the ignition where you can hear the motor unlock, it will make the job easier. There is lots of information on youtube and on the forums to help with this process.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elemento Tuning:
maximaal (07-13-2023), ReeceJ (07-13-2023)