C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Passenger side Primary Cat removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
C300 Passenger side Primary Cat removal

Pretty much what the title says. I have a 2010 c300 V6 auto and I’m having a hard time removing the Primary cat on the passenger side of the car. I can’t seem to get to one of the bolts. I was wondering if anybody had a write up on it or tips and tricks. I have to remove the exhaust to replace the transmission as well as the cat’s damaged when the front drive shaft broke it split the cat open. Any body got any tips and tricks for me or possibly a guide or photos?
Old 02-21-2024, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,371 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Search YouTube for bolt removal is probably your best bet. Your problem is not a Mercedes one; it's generic.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:21 PM

C300
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Search YouTube for bolt removal is probably your best bet. Your problem is not a Mercedes one; it's generic.
I have looked at quite a few videos online and some are similar but they have tips and tricks for other makes and models. I was just hoping I didn’t have to pull the exhaust manifold to get the primary cat off and If I do I’d like to get started on that rather then keep trying to get the bolt out. But I was wondering if you knew where to find the MB Tech write up on how to remove the Primary catalytic converter?
Thank you, Seger
Old 02-21-2024, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 342 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I do not have access to everything but in the instructions for removing the right side exhaust manifold it says to undo the catalytic converter flange first (step 4), so I'm thinking the exhaust manifold does not have to be removed.

The note for working on that flange is AR49.10-P-7100CW which I dont have.

I remember looking at my exhaust thinking it looks fairly easy, I thought I had a hole in my passenger exhaust manifold. Can you reach the bolts from the top?

I was looking at photos i took and I know on the drivers side the bolts can be reached from the outside/left from underneath. Looking at the passenger I'm thinking the same, reach them from the outside/right side.

Drivers side can see the bolts:

unfortunately the passenger side doesn't show the bolts. But it looks too tight on the left of the pipe.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:51 PM

C300
Ok that gives me good hopes that it says I don’t have to remove the exhaust manifold, I was not looking forward to that if I did. And yes the drive side primary catalytic converter was a lot easier to remove had it off in a couple minutes. I’ve been having troubles with this one because not only can I not even see one of the bolts the one I can’t see is proving difficult to get off. Part of that is I have to use a knuckle to get the socket on the bolt where as for the drive side the socket and extension lines up perfectly. Do you think I’ll have to pull the heat shields to get to the bolt? I’ll take another look at it tomorrow night and I’ll update you guys if I did get it off and any tips or tricks I got for the next person. Thank you again and if anybody does have any more tips or tricks before I try to tackle it again please LMK lol.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Here you go.

(Tim, you really need to get a copy of the WIS.)
Attached Files
Old 02-21-2024, 11:43 PM

C300
Thank you so much this is literally exactly what I was looking for. I was curious how do you guys get copy’s of WIS? It might save me from posting in the future and save some of your guys time on my dumb questions 😅
Old 02-22-2024, 02:41 AM

Received 311 Likes on 244 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Originally Posted by Sriedy
Thank you so much this is literally exactly what I was looking for. I was curious how do you guys get copy’s of WIS? It might save me from posting in the future and save some of your guys time on my dumb questions 😅
The way I got WIS was via emanualonline. Paid a one off fee to have it for life. Im sure there are others.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:41 AM

Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
How did this WIS help you with your removal problems ?

Thx
Old 02-22-2024, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sriedy
The WIS is the Workshop Information System, a comprehensive digital workshop manual. It is often listed as WIS/ASRA where the ASRA part is the standard labor allowance to perform certain activities--I don't use it. The WIS/ASRA is often, but not always, accompanied by the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) which is always useful. Both WIS and EPC are categorized by parts or areas of the vehicle and aligned with each other. For example, Group 14 is Exhaust manifold, engine brake, emission control system in WIS (hence some of the pictures start with P14. Group 49 is Exhaust system, exhaust gas cleaning, hence the procedures are in document AR49.xx. If you needed parts, you would look up exhaust system parts under Group 49 in the EPC. Both the WIS and EPC require that you identify your vehicle by VIN/FIN or Model. (You can find your FIN and specific model by entering your VIN at www.lastvin.com)

There are a couple of ways to get WIS. The BEST place to get a copy of WIS and EPC is from @BenzNinja since his are "legitimate" copies that run natively in Windows. The copies you will find on eBay will usually require you to run them on a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox, which is OK but you may not be able to print. The reason is that the applications are activated based on the MAC address of your network "card" and require a "key" to work. VMs make that simpler, but there are drawbacks. Getting the software from BenzNinja includes a copy of XENTRY and other good stuff. XENTRY is the Mercedes diagnostic system. It requires a vehicle interface device called a C4 multiplexer and a laptop or tablet running Windows.

Not sure where you are in you Mercedes journey, but if you are around for long, you will eventually need XENTRY.

(By the way, BenzNinja provides lifetime remote diagnostic support, including software upgrades, with membership. He has a promotion right now where the membership fee is credited toward his customized modifications, such as transmission modes activation, elimination of ECO Start/Stop, and others. The diagnostic services are included in the membership free. A couple trips to the dealer for problem diagnosis will easily pay for the membership. And all of this is from the comfort of your home at your convenience.)

The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 PM

Received 311 Likes on 244 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Originally Posted by JettaRed
The WIS .png[/img]

There are a couple of ways to get WIS. The BEST place to get a copy of WIS and EPC is from @BenzNinja since his are "legitimate" copies that run natively in Windows. The copies you will find on eBay will usually require you to run them on a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox, which is OK but you may not be able to print. The reason is that the applications are activated based on the MAC address of your network "card" and require a "key" to work. VMs make that simpler, but there are drawbacks. Getting the software from BenzNinja includes a copy of XENTRY and other good stuff. XENTRY is the Mercedes diagnostic system. It requires a vehicle interface device called a C4 multiplexer and a laptop or tablet running Windows.)
To add to this, the Emanualonline version I noted in an earlier post is accessed via the Virtual Machine setup. It allows you to print to PDF. You'll need to ask them to configure that for you which they did for me without a problem. It does not include the EPC.