C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 M272 4matic engine mount- How to torque bolt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 340 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
W204 M272 4matic engine mount- How to torque bolt?

I'm trying to go thru everything a recent shop may have screwed up and want to check to make sure the passenger engine mount bolt is still tight. While the shop had my car they mentioned they were waiting for a tool to remove the engine mounts since they were going to pull the engine. They didnt end up doing the job thankfully but im not sure what they did. The metal shield was not put back when I picked the car up. From what I read it is not possible to puit the heat shield back on unless i remove the exhaust and fit it in that way.

I bought a 16mm wrench for the mounts but i cant get it on the bolt. It appears its hitting the exhaust manifold. I even tried a regular 16mm 6 point wrench and cant get it on the bolt. Anyone have any ideas? I just want to check the bolt to make sure its on tight. I was able to check the bolts holding the mount to the subframe and they are still tight.

If I use a floor jack and try to lift up on the engine that way will it open up the distance to fit the wrench in?

Old 09-23-2024, 09:50 PM
SPONSOR

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
You need this wrench

https://amzn.to/4dcQ7aU

Unless that is what you have and you are saying there is no room?

Last edited by Elemento Tuning; 09-23-2024 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 340 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I believe that is the wrench I have.

I cannot get it to fit trying every which way possible. I'm able to fit my regular 16mm 6 point wrench in there but it wont drop down enough to get a solid connection, though I was able to get it on and tried turning with a good amount of pressure and the bolt didnt budge so i'm hoping its on tight. I'm doing this because i just dont trust the last shop that touched my car. I was afraid they loosened it but didnt bother to tighten it back. While they had it i called to check how it was going and they said they were waiting for a wrench to be able to remove the engine mounts, so im now thinking they also couldnt get to the bolt and gave up. They called me 2 days later saying they dont feel comfortable doing the job, which I appreciate but they seemed to screw up a few things while they had it. I am so lucky they actually didnt go forward with the job, i dont think my car would ever run right again.

Back to the mount. When I look with my borescope it does appear the bolt is all the way down touching the top of the mount, doesnt look loosened to where the head is off the mount. I was worried that the reason i cant get the wrench in is because the bolt was loosened and raised, but that would also mean they wouldnt be able to get the wrench out if I cant get mine on? i was thinking maybe if i grind down the wrench a little so its not so tall it may fit better. reading some of the reviews people say they had to cut and re-weld the wrench to make it short lengthwise, but i still dont think that would solve my issue of it not fitting, shortening it lengthwise may help when rotating the wrench. i didnt know if there was a certain trick for the M272 4matic, if raising the engine would enlarge the space between the mount and exhaust manifold.

I checked the other two bolts that attach the mount to the frame and those were tight.

Heres the view from the borescope. The bolt head does look like its contacting the top of the bracket. Would there be a gap here if the bolt was not tight?