MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C Class (W205) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205-186/)
-   -   Remote Starter ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/556654-remote-starter.html)

momyc 09-17-2014 11:24 AM

Remote Starter ?

Hi guys ,

I'm thinking to change my 5 years old Acura TL with C300 .
Here in Canada is very useful to have a remote starter for our cold winters .
Is there any option (I didn't see it on website) to have that installed and how much will be ? Is that a factory installed option ?

Thanks

ML63_AMG 09-17-2014 12:11 PM

No there is not one which comes from factory. However, the dealer can set you up with an aftermarket one.

mac55 09-17-2014 07:28 PM

It seems like a major omission that MB doesn't offer this in current models. Do the other german cars not have this either? Must be like cup-holders. Germans don't seem to get some things that the rest of the world embraces.

alsyli 09-17-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mac55 (Post 6170819)
It seems like a major omission that MB doesn't offer this in current models. Do the other german cars not have this either? Must be like cup-holders. Germans don't seem to get some things that the rest of the world embraces.

I don't think the rest of the world embraces cup holders. Car manufacturers simply know that that's what many Americans want, so they design their interiors to accommodate. There's a reason why the VW, Toyota, Honda, and Mazda all design US-specific cars (presumably b/c the rest of the world doesn't want what's popular here).

I think European companies used to assume that drivers should be too busy, you know, DRIVING to worry about their beverages.

Now that auto manfacturers are designing their cars for China, it'll be interesting to see if/how they shift their strategy regarding US models....

jbbeauso 09-18-2014 02:12 PM

I was told by my dealer that remote starters are not recommended and the installation of one will void the warranty

nnk 09-20-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by momyc (Post 6170307)
Hi guys ,

I'm thinking to change my 5 years old Acura TL with C300 .
Here in Canada is very useful to have a remote starter for our cold winters .
Is there any option (I didn't see it on website) to have that installed and how much will be ? Is that a factory installed option ?

Thanks

Aren't you looking for a remote independent heating system?
That is a (+-1700 Euro) option (at least on European models now ...)

momyc 09-20-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by nnk (Post 6173296)
Aren't you looking for a remote independent heating system?
That is a (+-1700 Euro) option (at least on European models now ...)

1700 Euro !!!?? that's insane . For me this could be a deal breaker.

Now , especially here in Canada, many manufacturers offers remote starters as a factory option.

mbinnl 09-21-2014 02:52 AM

Pre heater with remote control is a regular, factory installed, option by MB in Europe for about 1100 Euro

momyc 09-21-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mbinnl (Post 6173939)
Pre heater with remote control is a regular, factory installed, option by MB in Europe for about 1100 Euro

It's that engine preheater?
I'm interested on remote starter in order heat up entire interior and more important to melt the ice on the windows in the cold mornings.

mbinnl 09-21-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by momyc (Post 6174038)
It's that engine preheater?
I'm interested on remote starter in order heat up entire interior and more important to melt the ice on the windows in the cold mornings.

It's both, comes with a separate remote control and can be operated also by remote online by Mercedes Me or Mercedes Connect by a mobile device.

nnk 09-21-2014 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mbinnl (Post 6174045)
It's both, comes with a separate remote control and can be operated also by remote online by Mercedes Me or Mercedes Connect by a mobile device.

And it runs on gas or diesel, depending on you engine ....
Small private aircraft (Cessna/ Beechcraft etc) use similar heaters, when the engine is off.

seanvree 10-16-2014 12:46 AM

I've been doing a lot of research on this as well. Haven't been able to find a good option.

mac55 10-16-2014 12:29 PM

Its one of my favorite, most used "luxury" features in my other vehicles. Great for cold and hot weather. Hell, even my diesel truck has remote start and seat heat/cool. It knows to turn on the heaters (seat too) or the A/C (with seat coolers) depending on the ambient temp.

Totally baffles me why Mercedes doesn't offer this.

mbinnl 10-16-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mac55 (Post 6200069)
Totally baffles me why Mercedes doesn't offer this.

It does offer, but not in the USA.:zoom:

Subatomic Power 11-02-2014 06:09 PM

This is totally weird about MB in USA and Canada. No remote starters offered in North America. Beats me why - but I was told by the dealer that the electronics don't mesh well with them. I don't personally believe it. Will have to investigate aftermarket starters.....problem is that I don't want to install some Chinese made crap in my German made awesomeness......

mihaelb 11-02-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Subatomic Power (Post 6217957)
This is totally weird about MB in USA and Canada. No remote starters offered in North America. Beats me why - but I was told by the dealer that the electronics don't mesh well with them. I don't personally believe it. Will have to investigate aftermarket starters.....problem is that I don't want to install some Chinese made crap in my German made awesomeness......

Actually, I heard that many remote starters are manufactured in the States. And since the C class is manufactured in Alabama, this will mesh well...American technology in a car made in America, right? ;)

ddeliber 11-02-2014 10:53 PM

One of the most significant advances in theft prevention ever has been the ID chip in modern keys. It is very difficult to get past this as the ignition is disabled and the ID's are encrypted. Have they been cracked, probably, but still, hot-wiring won't work, the thief needs a cracked key. I remember reading somewhere a while back that this system has reduced auto theft by some ridiculous percentage - something like 95%.

All remote starters disable this system in some way in favor of something different and probably significantly less sophisticated. A few years ago my mother in law wanted one from Best Buy for a birthday present. I told her it wasn't a good idea but she pressed so I went to take a look. I asked the guy how it worked and he GLADLY told me that they needed the second key permanently. When I asked why he said that they take off the steering column cover and tape/glue it in there so that the car will start! I then asked him doesn't that totally disable the anti-theft mechanism in the key, and he just looked at me dumbfounded. Needless to say she didn't get a remote starter.

Now the newer systems are much better than that, many integrate with a cell phone and have some level of security in them. However, they still need to enable ignition without the key within the appropriate distance. Because of this I won't install one in any of my cars, and I suspect that this also has something to do with why many manufacturers are not endorsing or even supporting them.

bones74 12-28-2014 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
trying to get my wife a gl550 and I just saw this option(from factory) in EPC.net for 2015 GL550. (I'll try to insert a screen capture of the build sheet.)

look at option
J8A DSM STAR1 FBS4 REMOTE STARTABLE

Has anyone seen this?

Nanook 12-28-2014 09:48 PM

Just get a Compustar remote starter http://www.compustar.com/ and if you add the Drone module http://www.compustar.com/drone/ you can start from your cell phone from virually anywhere..mine works like a charm..dealer doesn't like it but too bad...living in Canada it's a must

seanvree 12-29-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 6276586)
Just get a Compustar remote starter http://www.compustar.com/ and if you add the Drone module http://www.compustar.com/drone/ you can start from your cell phone from virually anywhere..mine works like a charm..dealer doesn't like it but too bad...living in Canada it's a must

What kind of car do you have? What model of the Compustar did you get?

benzdude 02-28-2015 07:30 PM

I asked someone at the dealership today about remote start on the w205s.

He said due to the security current aftermarket solution requires hiding a key FOB permanently somewhere in the car.

He also mentioned that MB will soon be providing a remote start option direct from the factory.

mdsbuc 03-02-2015 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by benzdude (Post 6347527)
I asked someone at the dealership today about remote start on the w205s.

He said due to the security current aftermarket solution requires hiding a key FOB permanently somewhere in the car.

He also mentioned that MB will soon be providing a remote start option direct from the factory.

I hope he is right about it becoming a factory option, and I hope it happens soon!

raja777m 04-27-2017 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by bones74 (Post 6276493)
trying to get my wife a gl550 and I just saw this option(from factory) in EPC.net for 2015 GL550. (I'll try to insert a screen capture of the build sheet.)

look at option
J8A DSM STAR1 FBS4 REMOTE STARTABLE

Has anyone seen this?

I have this:
J5A - DSM: STAR1 FBS4 UPDATE
on my 2014 E350 4M.
I want to know more about this code.

kass11 06-25-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 7130183)
I have this:
J5A - DSM: STAR1 FBS4 UPDATE
on my 2014 E350 4M.
I want to know more about this code.

I have that code too , to you know what is about, please let me know.