C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 Mercedes C300 Base Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220cdi (W205)
Replaced standard front speakers

Well I did it ... I replaced the front standard speakers in my C220cdi W205. I was really disappointed with the standard speakers. The website indicated 5 speakers - one in every door. Where is the fifth ? Removed the dashboard central grill ... No speaker. Also checked the tweeterfronts .. No tweeters ... I finally found a really small speaker on the drivers side below the steering wheel on the central console. But no sound ... Had my dealer check it ... Helper speaker for telephone system was his answer. Doubt that that is correct ! Anyone here that has a working fifth ? They market with frontbass ... checked the inside of the speaker no chassis frontbass assistance what so ever. So that fifth speaker remains a mistory for the moment - any insights on that one ?

I researched the inside of the frontdoorpanel ... 100 mm speakers with 3 pushbottum ... Really light and el cheappo speaker. I purchased focal k2 100krs component speakers and gave it a go ... It turned out well they fit and sound really good with the factory headunit. Of course a 100 mm speaker doesn't give you full bass but the sound is a big step forward and please my ears very well. Very happy with the aftermarket install and can recommend.
You need to remove the tweeter casing (careful when using a dremel-tool) once done the tweeter fits the Mercedes Bens tweetercasingfront perfect ! The removal of the standard speakers in the doorpanel : 2 screws (30 star) under the doorhandler ... And then clicksystems (didn't break one so very nice to remove). The speakers click off very easiliy, the rubber knob in which they click can als be removed easily. Two of the three knob-places fit the location of the speakers ... So to secure the speakers ... A little bit of DIY. Then the hardest part is the crossoverbox ... You can fit that after grinded off a bit excess plastic (use dremel-tool) very ease but be carefull not to grind through it . Will post some picture later when I find the time ...
Very happy I can enjoy a nice sound now ... I personally think that Mercedes should not deliver such a low end standard system. I used to drive audi A4 ... Standard speaker where way better and also had tweeters.
Wouldn't recommend the standard system ... Take the Burmester instead.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW F30 335i M-Sport
Originally Posted by SiriusDD
Well I did it ... I replaced the front standard speakers in my C220cdi W205. I was really disappointed with the standard speakers. The website indicated 5 speakers - one in every door. Where is the fifth ? Removed the dashboard central grill ... No speaker. Also checked the tweeterfronts .. No tweeters ... I finally found a really small speaker on the drivers side below the steering wheel on the central console. But no sound ... Had my dealer check it ... Helper speaker for telephone system was his answer. Doubt that that is correct ! Anyone here that has a working fifth ? They market with frontbass ... checked the inside of the speaker no chassis frontbass assistance what so ever. So that fifth speaker remains a mistory for the moment - any insights on that one ?

I researched the inside of the frontdoorpanel ... 100 mm speakers with 3 pushbottum ... Really light and el cheappo speaker. I purchased focal k2 100krs component speakers and gave it a go ... It turned out well they fit and sound really good with the factory headunit. Of course a 100 mm speaker doesn't give you full bass but the sound is a big step forward and please my ears very well. Very happy with the aftermarket install and can recommend.
You need to remove the tweeter casing (careful when using a dremel-tool) once done the tweeter fits the Mercedes Bens tweetercasingfront perfect ! The removal of the standard speakers in the doorpanel : 2 screws (30 star) under the doorhandler ... And then clicksystems (didn't break one so very nice to remove). The speakers click off very easiliy, the rubber knob in which they click can als be removed easily. Two of the three knob-places fit the location of the speakers ... So to secure the speakers ... A little bit of DIY. Then the hardest part is the crossoverbox ... You can fit that after grinded off a bit excess plastic (use dremel-tool) very ease but be carefull not to grind through it . Will post some picture later when I find the time ...
Very happy I can enjoy a nice sound now ... I personally think that Mercedes should not deliver such a low end standard system. I used to drive audi A4 ... Standard speaker where way better and also had tweeters.
Can you point me in the direction of the stock amp for the base speakers? Also, do you happen to have a wiring schematic handy or know which wires to tap to run directly to an aftermarket amp via line level inputs and also a remote turn on wire?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220cdi (W205)
Manual for Mercedes C-class W205 Frontdoor speaker Replacement

Here some pictures and instructions in attached pdf on how to replace front door speakers of Mercedes C-class (W205) with Focal K2 Power 100 KRS - use at own risk.

I presume the amp is in the headunit in the central console. I don't have a wiring scheme.
Attached Files

Last edited by SiriusDD; 11-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ennedomi (01-08-2017)
Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
that is AWESOME - thx for PDF!
how much for the part, and how much for you to come to SF and do it for us?
(unless can find someone here who can do it as well as you just did).
PL
Old 12-14-2014, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Focal are very nice speakers. From the looks of it the OEM's are pure sh#t. Your sound should be remarkably better. Fabulous pics and instructions thanks.

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-15-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 AM

MB '12 C250 Sport
I just traded in my 2012 C250 for the new C300 with AMG Sport Package, Premium Package 1 and Interior Package. The Burmester sounds good but it's not great. Especially if you're accustomed to hearing a true premium aftermarket system by the likes of Audison, Hertz or Focal. My C250 had an ultra premium audiophile system and the Bermester doesn't come close. It's lacks bass and the crisp/clean highs and mids. It's hands down best in class and for what it is, it's amazing. But a true premium aftermarket system will always outperform even the best "premium OEM" setup. Just my .02

Last edited by bostongreg; 03-05-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by CLA2504Matic
My old CLA had amazing base speakers, the bass was amazing, I was amazed how good were the base were.

...I had harman pardon speakers before...
Thank you for making me smile. So the bass was amazing then.. and fairly loud if you had to ask Harmon for a pardon?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 AM

Cool

Bostongreg Focal upgrade

awesome audio upgrade...I have a similar Focal setup in my 2013 FRS... how much did your upgrade cost?
I am ordering a 2015 C300 w/sport pkg in April.

Last edited by getto; 03-05-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM

Ordered a c350e
Originally Posted by vic viper
Put a subwoofer in your spare wheel well, had it in my old S204 and I loved it.

Vic viper whats the brand of those wheels?
What is the tire suze
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
Just tried the same upgrade on a German-built C200, but there was no space for the speaker. It's hitting the metal on the door. And my door panel is different on the inside than yours. The speaker went on perfectly on to the panel, but there was no way to put the panel back then. When the speaker touched the metal on the door, there was at least 1cm of space between the door and the door panel. Seems like in my car only speakers up to 32mm depth can fit.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 PM

I had a 2014 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 4 Matic, Now have 2015 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Hello everyone,

This is an update for this thread. As you know that the base speakers on the W205 is really bad. So I took my car to a stereo shop and see what are my options. The stereo shop told me the most convieniet way to fix this problem is just to replace the OEM subwoofer. and AMP I can still have the subwoofer hidden with better bass. So I decided to test out the midrange speakers on my car and the sound is pretty clear. My plan for next month is to replace the subwoofer and hoping that should do the trick. I also found a picture of the suborder location of any of you guys are interested.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 AM

Cheezy Burmeister Speakers :shakehead:

Don't waste your time with CBurmester audio. I upgraded my 2015 C300 to a system similar to the one you commented on. The Burmeister grill looks nice but are useless because they block some of the audio that you want to hear.

Last edited by getto; 07-15-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by getto
Don't waste your time with CBurmester audio. I upgraded my 2015 C300 to a system similar to the one you commented on. The Burmeister grill looks nice but are useless because they block some of the audio that you want to hear.
That is a matter of opinion. I have to say that the Burmester system sounds fantastic - I don't really understand what you are getting at, ref the grille - all speakers have some form of grille over the speaker. I am sure your upgrade is a step up over Audio 20 but I prefer to have the real thing, thank you.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jolt8631
That is a matter of opinion. I have to say that the Burmester system sounds fantastic - I don't really understand what you are getting at, ref the grille - all speakers have some form of grille over the speaker. I am sure your upgrade is a step up over Audio 20 but I prefer to have the real thing, thank you.
The speaker grills made out of aluminum. How many hi-end speaker grills have you seen that are made out of metal?

Mr. Burmeister should be ashamed of putting his name on that pice of crap audio system that is in the 2015 C300.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 AM

Well, each to their own.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
Aren't Bose and bang & olufsen speakers in Audi and s class also with metal casing?

I had a W210 with Bose, W211 with H/K and W212 with basic speakers and then upgraded to H/K at Steve@MBenznl. My current C class with Burmester has the best sound compared to all above.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by megaoctane
Aren't Bose and bang & olufsen speakers in Audi and s class also with metal casing?

I had a W210 with Bose, W211 with H/K and W212 with basic speakers and then upgraded to H/K at Steve@MBenznl. My current C class with Burmester has the best sound compared to all above.
I happen to agree with you. Mr Getto has a differing opinion, I can live with that.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:41 PM

2003 Mercedes W203 C180K (MINT), 2012 Mercedes E350 AMG, 2012 Mercedes B200, 2010 Volvo S80 2.5T,
I have got to say that the Burmester sounds good at low volumes but higher than that the bass fades out a little bit, I cant say too much as i do not yet own a W205. I have always liked the traditional setup with the subwoofer in the reardeck.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by tylerw
I have got to say that the Burmester sounds good at low volumes but higher than that the bass fades out a little bit, I cant say too much as i do not yet own a W205. I have always liked the traditional setup with the subwoofer in the reardeck.
I've noted this loss of bass at higher volumes. Id rather have clarity than distortion though to be honest. While not dynamically the best it does have good cohesion.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
My e and glk class had standard systems perfectly acceptable for the difficult environment of a car. The base system in the c class is disappointing forcing an upgrade to the burmester lacking power, bass and any adjustability, cynically i think it is one of the ways mb effectively raised the price of the new model over the old.......i do not think the burmester is amazing or outstanding however it is good far better than the base system and probably better than many appreciate.
In the home we run an audiophile system by Quad (once a uk co sadly no longer uk owned and you could say a mercedes of the audio world) including their esl 63 speakers an esoteric electrostaic design. The design philosophy is of reproducing the sound as faithfully as it was recorded, i.e without colouration and allowing all the detail to be heard. The burmester system is actually closer to that philosophy. I suspect many buyers are not actually used to hearing live music especially classical and therefore are seeking a slightly different sound to a high end audiophile with a taste for classical which is the market burmester serve. It is purely a matter of taste, i do not like boomy boxy thumpy bass real bass from kettle drums and bass drums is a much cleaner sound but for 20 yrs+ a lot of pop styles use just that type of sound not my taste but plenty of people like it. For some i suspect aftermarket systems tailored to their prefered sound is a better option bass heavy for my part i find the burmester fine. Husband the real audiophile says it is better than the previous base systems....
Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by mrmarie
Anyway to change these standard speakers to improve the sound quality!?
YES Have done a complete audio upgrade on my 2015 ML250. Believe that you have 6 1/2" speakers that can easily be changed out.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Audio system

Yes, the Burmester uses a powerful external amp, but what could a aftermarket shop do besides replacing the speakers?

Installing and integrating an aftermarket amp into the OE sound system will be very complicated and time consuming.
A good car audio store can do whatever you want or is necessary---all you need is $$$$.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 PM

c200
Originally Posted by SiriusDD

Thanks SiriusDD for the recommendation on Focals K2 100 which I also recently had them installed. Sounds Great! Just an update for people who are interested, the front door panel speaker hole needed to be enlarged (by dremel-tool or else the speaker cone may hit the side of the hole), also the tweeter can be taken out of the casing by twisting the driver and using a thin stick to push the driver out , no need to damage the casing here).
Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Upgrading AudioSystem.

Yes, the Burmester uses a powerful external amp, but what could a aftermarket shop do besides replacing the speakers?

Installing and integrating an aftermarket amp into the OE sound system will be very complicated and time consuming.
Had a similar situation on my 2015 ML250. $15,000 in options but the base radio. Upgraded to HERTZ speakers,ALPINE amp & BIT ten processor. New system is MUCH better that the HK upgrade. All it took was a great tech & $4,000. I am keeping this car for a very long time so I didn't mind the added expense. Just wanted to explain what can be done. You s/b able to make to make significant improvements starting @ $1,000 & up.
There are NO changes in appearance in my car.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:20 PM

C200 petrol W205
Apologies if this is a repost.. Something strange happened when I was typing this up a few mins ago..

Anyone tried any upgrades for the audio 20?

I was at an audio dealer today who was useless and didn't want to touch it in case he made a mess of it.. Confidence inspiring.. NOT

I believe the 100mm door speakers are the same size and configuration as the ones BMW use, so any of the upgrade speakers for BMW should fit right in.. Mb quart.. Focal etc

The footwell mounted sub appears to be 20 cm ish, so it shouldn't be hard to get something to fit in there.

My query is that I'm not sure if the audio 20 on the early 2015 models uses amplification from the head unit with a passive crossover for the sub, or uses external amplification.

Does anyone know, have diagrams or pin outs for this??

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mercedes C300 Base Speakers