C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Samsung S5 pairing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-300
Samsung S5 pairing

My S5 will pair for telephone and texts but will not bluetooth pair for the MB apps so no internet. Anyone else with this problem? It is for a new C300 2015
Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Sarge,CD
My S5 will pair for telephone and texts but will not bluetooth pair for the MB apps so no internet. Anyone else with this problem? It is for a new C300 2015
You mean tethering for the MB apps? according to this, should be fine: http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...09/finder/~bt/

It doesn't say whether the tethering is by bluetooth or WiFi (it does say that USB will work for your phone, plus, the way it's displayed, one other option).

according to this (older, and written more for W204), some phones can't do bluetooth tethering, and you need to install some app: http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...3:2011-02/faq/
scroll down to the Android section.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
You likely won't be able to bluetooth tether. The version of android that is on that phone doesn't have the bluetooth profile for DUN (dial up networking). Check for yourself...in settings go to Tethering and Wi-fi hotspot. Is bluetooth tethering an option? If not then its no go. It was in earlier versions but disabled in later ones. It does support tethering with USB, but you have to enable this feature once you plug it in. Even if you were able to tether with bluetooth, you would probably be frustrated with the throughput being very slow through bluetooth (bottleneck). There is an app called bluedun that someone on this forum has developed that is supposed to solve this problem. It is available on the google playstore but I haven't been able to get it working. I just stick with USB tethering which also is good because you get to charge your phone at the same time.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM

C-300
It only has "mobile hotspot" and "USB tethering" I would have thought that through "mobile hotspot" it would work.

Last edited by Sarge,CD; 10-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 AM

C-300
Well tried it through the USB tethering and it works like a charm. Since you can't access them when driving does not make a difference to me anyway but nice to know the Command works as its supposed to. Oh ya , the car is great!!!

Thank you for the help it is appreciated.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Well tried it through the USB tethering and it works like a charm. Since you can't access them when driving does not make a difference to me anyway but nice to know the Command works as its supposed to. Oh ya , the car is great!!!

Thank you for the help it is appreciated.
Glad it worked....there are things that work while driving like tunein internet radio. You can also do online searches in command to find points of interest like you normally would on google maps.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:24 AM

2015 S205
I've the same problem with my Galaxy S4 - Couldnt get any bluetooth internet in the car.

So I went to investigate, and found a spec sheet on MB's website somewhere, saying that S4 (and also S5) is able to do bluetooth tethering.

With this in mind, I went and tested it with my macbook pro, and it worked instantly, no hokus-pokus, at all.

So i went back to the car, enabled bluetooth tethering - When trying to access MB apps from the car, I will get an icon on the phone saying that "something" has connected to the phone, but the car never manages to get online.

I've opened a ticket with my MB dealership, I want them to fix this, especially when the phone is on the list of phones that should allow bluetooth tethering.

http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...version/?65013
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by eaglehorn
I've the same problem with my Galaxy S4 - Couldnt get any bluetooth internet in the car.

So I went to investigate, and found a spec sheet on MB's website somewhere, saying that S4 (and also S5) is able to do bluetooth tethering.

With this in mind, I went and tested it with my macbook pro, and it worked instantly, no hokus-pokus, at all.

So i went back to the car, enabled bluetooth tethering - When trying to access MB apps from the car, I will get an icon on the phone saying that "something" has connected to the phone, but the car never manages to get online.

I've opened a ticket with my MB dealership, I want them to fix this, especially when the phone is on the list of phones that should allow bluetooth tethering.

Yeah, good luck with that. I had to make 4 trips and eventually yell at the service rep (and the mechanics he kept bringing out to back him up) because they just don't understand how any phone's bluetooth works, other than an iPhone (and even then they don't get how things work, and just know to press here and press there), and kept saying that everything is fine even though the problem was staring them in the face (head unit replacement solved the issue)!

Anyways, did you try to make the Mercedes discoverable and try to pair the phone to the car, rather than car to the phone (if that's even an option)?

When it tells you that something has tried to connect, do you have time to authorize it? If you do manage to authorize on first attempt (even though disconnects), try to reconnect after that.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:08 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205

What version of android are you running on your s4? are you sure you were bluetooth tethering on your macbook and not using the wifi hotspot?

Did you have the bluetooth option showing as an available option in your tethering options like in the picture?

Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM

2015 S205
Like so many other, I've not had any success trying to get bluetooth tethering to work in my w205.

So today, I went to the dealership and have them take a look at it - Right off the bat when they wrote up the car they told me that they've heard of this problem from several other new w205 owners and that a "collective ticket" had been opened with the importer to address the issue.

Anyway, before they started looking at my car the technician said to me that it's a case of "luck" wether my phone will work or not.

Some hours later when I return to pickup my car I am told the following : We were able to make bluetooth tethering work with "our" devices, so the feature is clearly functional - They then offered to try to setup my phone + car, and the result was : no internet connection - The tech then demonstrated how he was able to connect "a very old" samsung nexus (probably 1?) and get the car to go online.

I was puzzled by this - I just couldnt belive it - I end up driving from there thinking dark thoughts - Also, I asked them to open a ticket in my name, as I really want this to work.

And then it happened! I drove the car home, pull into my driveway - Thinking to test it again one final time : Bingo! Its working! Bluetooth tethering enabled, and my w205 went online! - Magic!

It then occurred to me, what's REALLY going on here is the fact that the w205 is able to make use of shared Wifi - I have wifi in my drive way, I did not at the dealership - The technician however he did have wifi, and was able to go online.

So yeah - bluetooth tethering is working when your phone is connected to wifi, but not when using mobile data :-/

I really hope a fix is comming for this

Last edited by eaglehorn; 11-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Im sorry but I haven't read the whole thread...
Are you aware that using the phone as a data hub (bluetooth tethering or Wifi hotspot) is only available if you have that feature as part of your cell phone contract? For example Sprint charges you 10-20 dollars extra for that service. If you weren't privy of that you may have been literally plowing in the sand since without the extra feature being activated, IT WILL NEVER WORK
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM

2015 S205
I'm not sure what's common practice in the US, but, here in Denmark its not a feature you add on to your subscription, it's enabled per default - I've used my phone as a hub with my laptop often.

It's a very good tip though, for you US guys to be aware of
Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM

C-300
The dealership here tried as well, connected their phones no problem...my S5 no. Went out and bought a cord and now lives in the car. Neat but to me realistically I will probably never use the Apps. Whatever I need I have on the phone anyway. The tethering by USB works very well
Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 AM

2015 S205
@Sarge,CD

Next time you go to the dealership, have them test it again with wifi turned off on their phone.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 PM

C-300
Can the car itself without a phone connected pick up wifi?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:11 PM

2015 S205
No, I dont think so - Maybe with additional options, but I doubt it.

What I mean for you to test is :

1) connect your phone to a wifi
2) enable bluetooth and pair it with your car
3) share the internet connection on your phone with the car
4) test if you can go online

It worked for me, and it worked for the technician - I bet it will work for you too

Problem is, this kind of "shared internet" is useless - No one has wifi while driving, what we need is for MB to fix it so that the car will also go online using people's mobile-data connection
Old 11-06-2014, 12:00 AM

C-300
tried it again and will not work unless I am tethered by the USB cable. The internet will not work with Bluetooth on my model of phone apparently.

Phone and text are ok but not internet by bluetooth. Like I said not a big issue as you cant use them all when driving anyway. I bought the car to drive not check facebook lol
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM

2014 C Class Saloon C250 Diesel AMG Line RWD, Nissan GTR
tried it again and will not work unless I am tethered by the USB cable. The internet will not work with Bluetooth on my model of phone apparently.
Hi there,

Is that just a standard USB cable you are using? I can connect via Mobile Hotspot or Bluetooth using a Nexus 5, but not through USB. Makes no difference as I am connected without any issues, but just interested why the USB is not working.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 PM

C-300
Originally Posted by davidmcr
Hi there,

Is that just a standard USB cable you are using? I can connect via Mobile Hotspot or Bluetooth using a Nexus 5, but not through USB. Makes no difference as I am connected without any issues, but just interested why the USB is not working.

Thanks
It's a standard USB cable $20
Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
It sounds like outside the US, you are able to tether from your phone to run the apps in the car. In my car, I'm in the US, the phone uses Verizon to connect to the internet. I don't have to bring my phone with me and I can still use the internet apps.

The reason it works for now is I have the free three months of mbrace trial. Once that is over, I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose connectivity unless I pay up. I haven't seen a menu where I can force the car to use my phone's data connection instead of the car's current connection method but I will look again. I have a Samsung Note 3 and the bluetooth offers is phone and music connection.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:28 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Has anyone had success bluetooth tethering data to command using a samsung galaxy s5 (or similar andriod)? My version of andriod does not have bluetooth dial up networking (DUN) and bluedun software is supposed to fix that but the command keeps dropping the connection.....I am able to tether with a USB connection and use all of the apps without a problem.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
Has anyone had success bluetooth tethering data to command using a samsung galaxy s5 (or similar andriod)? My version of andriod does not have bluetooth dial up networking (DUN) and bluedun software is supposed to fix that but the command keeps dropping the connection.....I am able to tether with a USB connection and use all of the apps without a problem.
JB...I've had no problem connecting via bluetooth (music)...but when you say "bluetooth tethering data" are you saying I should be able to turn off my phone Wi-Fi and still connect to apps/internet? I'm using android 5.0...
Old 02-19-2015, 02:26 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
JB...I've had no problem connecting via bluetooth (music)...but when you say "bluetooth tethering data" are you saying I should be able to turn off my phone Wi-Fi and still connect to apps/internet? I'm using android 5.0...
I have no problem connecting music and phone functions via Bluetooth. The problem is when I try to share my phones data connection(via bluetooth) with the car to use things like tune in Internet radio, Facebook, Google street view, and the command Web browser . I can do so with a USB cable but it doesn't work for me using Bluetooth. I was of the impression that the reason was that the later versions of Android no longer support the Bluetooth dial up networking profile needed by command (in Canada) for tethering data access. The bluedun app is supposed to fix that but it hasn't worked for me....
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM

C220 Bluetec Estate (2015)
Like so many other, I've not had any success trying to get bluetooth tethering to work in my w205.

So today, I went to the dealership and have them take a look at it - Right off the bat when they wrote up the car they told me that they've heard of this problem from several other new w205 owners and that a "collective ticket" had been opened with the importer to address the issue.

Anyway, before they started looking at my car the technician said to me that it's a case of "luck" wether my phone will work or not.

Some hours later when I return to pickup my car I am told the following : We were able to make bluetooth tethering work with "our" devices, so the feature is clearly functional - They then offered to try to setup my phone + car, and the result was : no internet connection - The tech then demonstrated how he was able to connect "a very old" samsung nexus (probably 1?) and get the car to go online.

I was puzzled by this - I just couldnt belive it - I end up driving from there thinking dark thoughts - Also, I asked them to open a ticket in my name, as I really want this to work.

And then it happened! I drove the car home, pull into my driveway - Thinking to test it again one final time : Bingo! Its working! Bluetooth tethering enabled, and my w205 went online! - Magic!

It then occurred to me, what's REALLY going on here is the fact that the w205 is able to make use of shared Wifi - I have wifi in my drive way, I did not at the dealership - The technician however he did have wifi, and was able to go online.

So yeah - bluetooth tethering is working when your phone is connected to wifi, but not when using mobile data :-/

I really hope a fix is comming for this
You need the BlueDUN app on Android to get Internet via Bluetooth and mobile data to work. I used this config with succes on my previous car. However with the new car (and still the same phone!) it doesn't work. Ik contacted the guy who developed the BlueDUN app and he told me, from the app's logs, that the data connection was fine, but then the MB server dropped the connection. So it seems to me there is a backend problem at MB side, not in the car itself. Or a combination of the two.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:12 PM

2015 S205
Originally Posted by mbrackeva
You need the BlueDUN app on Android to get Internet via Bluetooth and mobile data to work. I used this config with succes on my previous car. However with the new car (and still the same phone!) it doesn't work. Ik contacted the guy who developed the BlueDUN app and he told me, from the app's logs, that the data connection was fine, but then the MB server dropped the connection. So it seems to me there is a backend problem at MB side, not in the car itself. Or a combination of the two.
From the testing I have done, I doubt any 3rd party apps are needed. I think that the problem lies with our mobile service providers.

Why? - Because bluetooth internet sharing works perfectly for me when my phone is connected via wifi in my house.

Once I am on the road and thus don't have wifi access, and mobile-data takes over, then I am no longer able to get any internet in the car - Why? I think some mobile providers are blocking certain ports which is needed in this setup.

I've read of similar incidents in this thread :

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Mon...ss/td-p/839086

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Samsung S5 pairing