C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 C300 Power steering malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
WTF...okay...just got the same message this morning. The car (C400) is at the dealership now. Fortunately I was not driving at the time it went out. But it did make driving to the dealership challenging...btw I just hit 5k miles this weekend. So let's see wind noise (replaced door seals; window seals) no fix for it yet...passenger rear window rolled down but not back up from drivers control panel...replaced. Now power steering malfunction...not a happy camper...this is a MB...but more than that a brand new MB...seriously disappointed!!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Ok dealership just called and said it needed the software update...I don't know if this only happens while the car is stationary...but I can't imagine what would happen if you were driving...but more importantly that MB knows of this update and hasn't notified it's owners...are they waiting for a major accident to occur??
Old 04-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
What ever happened to the good ole days of getting under the hood and actually getting your hands dirty? It seams that their answer for everything is- Oh it just needs a software update! Your transmission fell out? Oh, you just need the latest software update
Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by CO2010
What ever happened to the good ole days of getting under the hood and actually getting your hands dirty? It seams that their answer for everything is- Oh it just needs a software update! Your transmission fell out? Oh, you just need the latest software update
Well considering that tesla did a software update to increase the ride height of their cars .3" and reduce the chance of road debris puncturing the battery pack and delivered that update to owners wirelessly with no service visit I would say, yeah, software updates to fix most non mechanical failures is the way forward.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by voip1
Well considering that tesla did a software update to increase the ride height of their cars .3" and reduce the chance of road debris puncturing the battery pack and delivered that update to owners wirelessly with no service visit I would say, yeah, software updates to fix most non mechanical failures is the way forward.
While technology is great...these software updates are causing mechanical failures (the power steering literally went out). My car was just there on Saturday getting the 5k comp oil change...too bad they didn't check to see if the car had all updates at that time. It appears that they're only providing the update if/when you actually have this issue. Again I'm guessing that this can only occur while the car is stationary...there is no way MB knows of this and is just waiting for someone to be killed...

Last edited by NYC-Style; 04-20-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
While technology is great...these software updates are causing mechanical failures (the power steering literally went out). My car was just there on Saturday getting the 5k comp oil change...too bad they didn't check to see if the car had all updates at that time. It appears that they're only providing the update if/when you actually have this issue. Again I'm guessing that this can only occur while the car is stationary...there is no way MB knows of this and is just waiting for someone to be killed...
The problem that Mercedes and most manufacturers face today is that they are at the mercy of dealerships to do FW updates and identify/resolve issues.

In the not too distant future the car will not only send diagnostic data to the manufacturer it will also identify all of its part serial #s, FW versions, etc.... and if an update is needed it will be delivered automatically with no service visit.

Dealers are terrified of this development because it is going to put a serious dent in their revenue but it absolutely will benefit the consumer.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Power steering Malfunction

This happened to me on Wednesday 5/13/05. After a hour the car reset itself, still had the car towed back to the dealer. Was told a software update was needed and done. From reading all the people who have experienced this issue, a recall for all of these 2015 C300 should have occurred. Not pleased about this at all
Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Is there any way to see which firmware/software is installed? I'm not sure how to go about getting the update before being 'stuck'.
The following users liked this post:
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
This information is on the NHTSA website
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1977331

Service Bulletin No.: LI46-35P059241
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , STEERING NHTSA ID Number: 10056472
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
SUMMARY:
XENTRY (MERCEDES): AFTER ENGINE HAS STARTED, SEVERAL ISSUES OCCURS, AN ACOUSTIC WARNING SOUNDS IS HEARD, THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAYS WARNING MESSAGE POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION, SERVICE REQUIRED. STEERING SYSTEM IS SLUGGISH. MODEL 117, 156, 176, 242, 246.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 PM

C300
You should just take it to the dealer and asked them to do the software update.
Originally Posted by kellens
Is there any way to see which firmware/software is installed? I'm not sure how to go about getting the update before being 'stuck'.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 05-18-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Ms. TO
You should just take it to the dealer and asked them to do the software update.
Ms TO, thanks for the information. Hopefully it wasn't a long for them to do the update.

Is there a start/end date for affected vehicles or for vin numbers?

I'm assuming no way in vehicle to pull up diagnostic menu or such to show which 'firmware' one has, nor which one 'should' have by checking online for this, command, or other systems.

I long for the day this stuff can be flashed to all cars at home.

Last edited by floridadriver; 05-18-2015 at 06:55 AM.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
I thought the new software was installed on all cars made after December 2014. To my dismay this happened to me tonight...while I was just about to get on a highway. Lovely...It's one thing when this happens when you first start up a car. Its another thing when this happens right as you get on an on ramp. This was downright dangerous. I'm none too pleased.

The worst part was I was one of those people that had the bleeding seats (had it for one week and it started that). MB was nice enough to replace it with a new car...and then this happens at 4500 miles.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 E300
Angry

suffered the same issue in my 2015 C400... came to start the car to go home and Power Steering Malfunction was on my centre console. there was no way i could manoeuvre the steering wheel... turned off the car and was trying to sort out my options (call dealer, home, etc...). about 10-15 min i put the car back on and the error was gone and no repeat in a few days. am still trying to coordinate with the dealer to bring it in for service and hopefully a software patch/update

not very impressed...
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM

2015 C400
Software issue. Had same problem mercedes fixed in 1 day. No issues since
Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 PM

c300
This just happened to my steering!

Originally Posted by jbbeauso
What did they tell you to do to lessen the likelihood?
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
My car was in for another issue this morning and I was told of a required power steering software update that just got into the system on January 6, 2016. I assume it's related to the issues mentioned in this thread. I hadn't had any of the power steering issues, but the software was updated anyway. The invoice says "PERFORMED POWER STEERING UPDATE 2015120006." This was for a September 2014 build C400.

Last edited by BenzC400; 01-07-2016 at 11:08 AM.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:25 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
Here is the recall information that was just published on cars.com January 7, 2016:

CARS.COM Recall Alert

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 28,000 model-year 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 and C400 4Matic sedans manufactured between Jan. 27 and Dec. 1, 2014
The Problem: Due to an error in the electric power steering control unit software, a loss of electric power steering assist could occur, necessitating extra steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, and increasing the risk of a crash.
The Fix: Dealers will update the power steering software for free.
What Owners Should Do: Mercedes will begin notifying owners this month. Owners can call the automaker at 800-367-6372, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle-safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or go to www.safercar.gov for more info.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/recall...IwpHbXJYUhc.99
The following 2 users liked this post by BenzC400:
benzw205 (12-11-2016), whippet007 (07-17-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
steering wheel problem is scary !

hello, i just read this and wonder if you had the problem again after updating the software ? Or itis fine since ? Thank you.

Last edited by benzw205; 12-09-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
Can't believe that on my 2015 C-class the steering motor went out already. Dealer wanted $1600 to replace it. Just installed a used unit myself which I got on eBay for $350. It was very easy and simple to replace. There is a DIY guide online for those facing this problem.

Anyone who is getting Power steering malfunction error message on the dashboard, I would recommend you troubleshot the problem before you replace any parts. It turns out there is a 125 A fuse in the pre fuse box in the engine bay that can blow.

This article can help you get a better understanding of the related problems.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/merced...erators-manual

Last edited by progonat; 05-27-2019 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by progonat:
benzw205 (05-28-2019), MichaelCS (05-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 AM

bmw
Originally Posted by progonat
Can't believe that on my 2015 C-class the steering motor went out already. Dealer wanted $1600 to replace it. Just installed a used unit myself which I got on eBay for $350. It was very easy and simple to replace. There is a DIY guide online for those facing this problem.

Anyone who is getting Power steering malfunction error message on the dashboard, I would recommend you troubleshot the problem before you replace any parts. It turns out there is a 125 A fuse in the pre fuse box in the engine bay that can blow.

This article can help you get a better understanding of the related problems.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/merced...erators-manual

please I need help from you, I have one car w205 which I have to change the rack due to accident, I want to know, after you changed yours with used rack, did you have to perform online reflash or coding to enable the steer to work or is it plug and play?
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 10:39 AM

A200
Same issue for my A200 2014

I bought my car a while ago and just happened to me a month ago or so.

The first time it happened to me was at a gas station. After the employee filled my tank I started the car and had that message. I turned off the engine, waited for ~5 minutes and the message disappeared. My local workshop didn't find any issues after inspection so I went ahead to try the same scenario again to see if I can reproduce the problem and it happened again at the same gas station.

After some tries I found out that it always happens to me when I visit a gas station where employees scan a badge near the gas pump so their system knows that the employee X is pumping gas at the current pump.

My guess is that this scan system somehow interfere with something in my car that makes this warning pop and make the steering unusable.

I'm curious if anyone else noticed something like this and how they managed to make it go away.
benzw205 (07-05-2023)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:07 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde

I drive a W204 2009 C220 CDI with around 90,000 Kms or approximately 55,000 miles. On a particular day, I embarked on a 180 Km journey to my wife's house, a total of 110 miles, and had to make the return trip within the same day. Considering the lengthy travel and challenging road conditions, I adopted an aggressive driving style, with rapid accelerations and frequent braking to cover the 4 to 5 hours it takes to return home.

As I approached my house with just 4 Kms remaining, my car displayed multiple warnings: Run flat indicator inoperative, Power steering malfunction, and EBD, ABS, ESP inoperative. The power steering failure made turning the vehicle difficult. Somehow, I managed to bring the car home, parked it, turned it off, and, after a few minutes of rest, turned it back on. To my relief, all the warnings disappeared, and everything seemed normal. I initially thought it was just a glitch.

Later that day, I needed to meet a friend, so I turned on the vehicle and, after covering about 1 Km, the glitch returned. Turning the car off and on made the glitch disappear, but it resurfaced 5 minutes later. Knowing the challenges of driving with a malfunctioning power steering, I opted to leave the vehicle at home.

I took a cab to my friend's place and returned home the next day. The glitch recurred after a short drive of five minutes. Concerned, I contacted my MB dealership and informed them of the issue. Despite the difficulty in driving the vehicle, I chose to drive it to the dealership instead of opting for recovery.

Upon reaching the dealership, they indicated a need for a thorough inspection, which would take 2 to 3 days. The subsequent update revealed bad news—the Hydraulic Unit had failed, a major fault requiring a $3030 USD part replacement and labor charges (PART NO: A 204 4315 51264). With the part not in stock, the estimated fix time was one week.

Meanwhile, an email from the dealership, received a couple of months back, informed me that my car's VIN number was on a global list for a free replacement of the Airbag unit. I asked them to prepare my car for this cost-free job. Exploring alternatives, I checked for scrap hydraulic units, priced around $330 USD, contemplating whether to use a local garage due to high dealership costs.

Despite my inquiries about the fix's assurance after replacement, the dealership hesitated to guarantee a 100% solution. They performed a thorough inspection, including the fuse box and wiring kit, and mentioned having test units in other dealerships, requiring additional time for the inspection. After two weeks, they concluded that the fault persisted, suggesting the need to change the entire EPS unit, incurring additional costs.

Frustrated, I considered not proceeding with the repairs and opting for a new car. Turning to online solutions, YouTube suggested replacements or cleaning, contrasting with the dealership's unsuccessful attempts to clean the stuck hydraulic unit. Suspecting heat or movement as the cause of the issue, I searched for scrap parts for the fix and decided to approach a local garage.

Nearly a month passed without a vehicle, and I resigned myself to the idea of a total failure in the fix, deeming it impractical to spend so much on a 15-year-old vehicle. Disheartened, I collected the car after the airbag repair, leaving it in my porch with no plans or hope.

Late that night, an online search brought me to an article where Mr. A Khan suggested an unconventional fix—drive the car in reverse. This insanely stupid fix resolved the car as Mr. Candii, Me. Gavd and Me. Sudir inspired me to do the car revising fix as there was not cost involved to drive the car in reverse.

Despite initial skepticism, I tried it, and to my surprise, the error disappeared. Over the past four days, covering 30 to 50 Kms, the glitch has not resurfaced.

Thank you, Mr. A Khan, for this unexpected yet effective solution that saved my car from being deemed irreparable. I am immensely grateful, although unsure of its permanence, given Mr. A Khan's last post in 2016. If anyone has more insights or experiences similar to Candii, Gavd, or Mr. Sudir, please share your findings regarding the recurrence of the error or alternative fixes.

A heartfelt thank you to MB World ORG and Mr. A Khan for being instrumental in resolving this perplexing issue.

Saved my life,

Bibble