C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Why so much negativity here?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Why so much negativity here?

Let me start by saying I'm no kid, being in my 60's, and have owned many fine ... and not so fine ... cars over the years. I've also been an active participant on many online forums, including several car forums.

My past experience on car boards has been mostly positive, with the best boards fostering a sense of camaraderie, a sharing of information and a mutual pride of ownership. There are always a few trolls or simply nasty folks who show up from time to time, but they never stick around for very long.

This forum has me a bit puzzled. While there are obviously many here who help others and are willing to share their experiences with their new W205's, there are so many posters who seem to relish in belittling this car. There are also many who offer endless criticism, advice and suggestions, but have never actually owned a W205.

Rather than a sense of pride of ownership, I also see members here openly bashing the choices of other W205 owners. I may or may not appreciate something like the Luxury model's grille treatment, but I would certainly never tell someone that I thought their brand new C300 or C400 looked grotesque. One person's "must have" may be another's "won't have," but all choices are nothing more than personal taste.

I don't know what the demographics are for this board, but the level of rudeness and lack of consideration for other members here has been, IMHO, rather astounding. Yes, I'm sure one can find other forums that make this one look tame in comparison, but that's not the point. I really don't need owners of brand XYZ coming here to tell me why my C300 is a POS.

My only other car right now is a Porsche Boxster S. I'm on the Planet 9 981 board every day and have actually met some of the other members there. It's a helpful, friendly, and welcoming board. I'm not quite sure why the nature of these two boards is so dissimilar, but the contrast is glaring.

I have my own C300 for two months now. I like the car, and it is exactly what I wanted. Does it have its quirks and/or weak points? Yes, but the good far outweighs the bad in this vehicle. It's not a track car, but it handles well and is easily controlled even in hard turns. It's not the fastest car out there, but it's quick enough and returns excellent fuel economy numbers. Its interior is outstanding, and its comfort levels well above average. With the 4Matic AWD, it is the car that most closely fits my driving needs.

The tone of this board should reflect the overall excellence of the W205 series of cars. Constructive criticism is great, and the reporting of known issues is vital information. But continually harping on what the car doesn't do, or shouldn't do, or can't do, can become very irritating very quickly. I own a W205 and I am enjoying being in it ... I don't need people whose sole experience with the car has been based on a single test drive, or an article they've read somewhere, telling me what they don't like about my car.

Just letting off some steam ... I feel much better now.
The following users liked this post:
C3004matidriver (07-07-2021)
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 c400 4Matic
German performance sedan fan boys are worse than those you find in Apple vs. MSFT vs. Linux discussions. Regarding your Porsche forum experience, Porsche is in a class by itself. There are really no direct competitors when you are talking about Boxsters, Caimans and, to some degree, the 911. It's not like someone is going to say instead of a Boxster you should have gotten a MX-5. They're just not the same animal.

But the MB-Audi-BMW debate will rage on forever because they are so similar (all offer entry-compact-midsize-large coupes and sedans, along with their performance-oriented badges. Yet, for all their similarities, there are enough differences (and perceived differences) that people want to justify their own predilections.

I was an Audi guy for years and years. Always considered MB to be stodgy, fat land-whales that only guys with cigars and Rolexes drove (or their over-processed and bejeweled wives). I sneered whenever I saw another middle-aged guy in driving mocs get out of an E-class at the gas station and silently congratulated myself for driving a 6-speed manual with Quattro. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little, but the point remains that people want to feel good about what they drive and when MB goes out of its way to design and sell a game-changing C class, there's going to be a host of reactions from those who (a) still view MB as the company from 15 years ago, and yet (b) secretly wouldn't mind having one. The negativity reflects that insecurity even if there are things to legitimately criticize.

It's flatly impossible to say that one brand is inherently "better" than the other. Each one has its strengths and its weaknesses. One of my friends recently bought a Taurus SHO. Would I buy one? No. But I can appreciate many of that car's qualities and congratulated him on his purchase. Why would I go out of my way to belittle his choice? It's his money and his daily drive. Plus it wasn't like he bought a Lexus.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Over the years, I've owned three BMW's, three Audi's, three Corvettes, a Volvo, and even a Miata. All were very good cars, and I was quite happy with my choices. I was also active on those respective boards.

I have never, though, ever put down anyone else's car because I owned something else. I have tremendous respect for BMW and Audi, and think they make some of the best cars in the world. I would not even consider revisiting those boards to tell them how much better my C300 was compared to their choice of a vehicle. It's not even a question of which car or brand is "better", but rather which one suits your own needs best. I also would not start posting advice and information on another car forum without ever even owning that car.

I guess I just don't quite get why people do that. Whatever the psychology behind these posters is, this W205 forum sure seems to bring them out in droves.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM

2015 c400 4Matic
Yes, the real wonder is why people who don't own a MB would come here to criticize it. What's the point? You're either here to learn more or to celebrate your purchase. Anything else is just trolling...
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Have these people on my ignore list. Am i wrong in saying they are the worst offenders?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by StanNH
Let me start by saying I'm no kid, being in my 60's, and have owned many fine ... and not so fine ... cars over the years. I've also been an active participant on many online forums, including several car forums.

My past experience on car boards has been mostly positive, with the best boards fostering a sense of camaraderie, a sharing of information and a mutual pride of ownership. There are always a few trolls or simply nasty folks who show up from time to time, but they never stick around for very long.

This forum has me a bit puzzled. While there are obviously many here who help others and are willing to share their experiences with their new W205's, there are so many posters who seem to relish in belittling this car. There are also many who offer endless criticism, advice and suggestions, but have never actually owned a W205.

Rather than a sense of pride of ownership, I also see members here openly bashing the choices of other W205 owners. I may or may not appreciate something like the Luxury model's grille treatment, but I would certainly never tell someone that I thought their brand new C300 or C400 looked grotesque. One person's "must have" may be another's "won't have," but all choices are nothing more than personal taste.

I don't know what the demographics are for this board, but the level of rudeness and lack of consideration for other members here has been, IMHO, rather astounding. Yes, I'm sure one can find other forums that make this one look tame in comparison, but that's not the point. I really don't need owners of brand XYZ coming here to tell me why my C300 is a POS.

My only other car right now is a Porsche Boxster S. I'm on the Planet 9 981 board every day and have actually met some of the other members there. It's a helpful, friendly, and welcoming board. I'm not quite sure why the nature of these two boards is so dissimilar, but the contrast is glaring.

I have my own C300 for two months now. I like the car, and it is exactly what I wanted. Does it have its quirks and/or weak points? Yes, but the good far outweighs the bad in this vehicle. It's not a track car, but it handles well and is easily controlled even in hard turns. It's not the fastest car out there, but it's quick enough and returns excellent fuel economy numbers. Its interior is outstanding, and its comfort levels well above average. With the 4Matic AWD, it is the car that most closely fits my driving needs.

The tone of this board should reflect the overall excellence of the W205 series of cars. Constructive criticism is great, and the reporting of known issues is vital information. But continually harping on what the car doesn't do, or shouldn't do, or can't do, can become very irritating very quickly. I own a W205 and I am enjoying being in it ... I don't need people whose sole experience with the car has been based on a single test drive, or an article they've read somewhere, telling me what they don't like about my car.

Just letting off some steam ... I feel much better now.
I feel EXACTLY the same way....How uncouth! It's mind-boggling what people will say and do when hiding behind internet anonymity. Basic human decency goes out the window, or maybe it just shows their true nature....not sure.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Eilers
Have these people on my ignore list. Am i wrong in saying they are the worst offenders?

I am surprised to be on your list. I have expressed interest on this forum in the W205 for my wife to replace her W211, while acknowledging the excellence of the car for the type of car it is, even if not for me. I do have ongoing lack of appreciation for the nav screen, but as I've said, if my wife likes the car, so be it. After six years on the W204 and having many good relationships, including with moderators, I am sorry to see that I may have offended you. So, if that has happened, and perhaps you could let me know where/when, I apologize.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 AM

I think you are totally wrong to include Sportstick on your ignore list. As an owner, he was very active on the w204 forum and quite frankly gives some of the best written, thoughtful responses of anyone on these forums. He is always very respectful of other posters points of view and for one, I am pleased that he continues to post despite going over to the dark side (bmw). Hope he sticks around.

Last edited by vols1; 11-21-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,046 Likes on 693 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580

O my god I'm on your ignore list. Im so sad.... Please feel free to put me on any list you wish. Apparently you suffer from a weak ego that can only survive on positive reinforcement. Grills are still ugly to me!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I am surprised to be on your list. I have expressed interest on this forum in the W205 for my wife to replace her W211, while acknowledging the excellence of the car for the type of car it is, even if not for me. I do have ongoing lack of appreciation for the nav screen, but as I've said, if my wife likes the car, so be it. After six years on the W204 and having many good relationships, including with moderators, I am sorry to see that I may have offended you. So, if that has happened, and perhaps you could let me know where/when, I apologize.
Don't even try. This guy has only started to post and he's already complaining about the people that don't simply cheer him on everything he says and don't agree with his opinions. Just an attention seeker.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I feel EXACTLY the same way....How uncouth! It's mind-boggling what people will say and do when hiding behind internet anonymity. Basic human decency goes out the window, or maybe it just shows their true nature....not sure.
Haters will hate.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
K/A, on your list, obviously has no interest in MB's. He was on the E Class forum for years and then switched to BMW. He has never left the W212 Forum and continues to make his "objective" analysis of the E Class. He has since been doing the same on this forum. I have no idea why he continues to act like he is interested in the W205's when he only is here to criticize.
I appreciate critical analysis, since no car is perfect, but what is his objective?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by c4004matic
O my god I'm on your ignore list. Im so sad.... Please feel free to put me on any list you wish. Apparently you suffer from a weak ego that can only survive on positive reinforcement. Grills are still ugly to me!

C400...I think this is what he may be referring to...if that's his feeling...let it be...to say "you suffer from a weak ego...", comes across like a personal attack. I've noticed that there are a lot of "keyboard tough guys" on this forum which was really surprising to me being it's an MB forum...and for whatever reason I thought there would be a more mature audience. Just my two cents..."can't we all just get along??"
Old 11-21-2014, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
C400...I think this is what he may be referring to...if that's his feeling...let it be...to say "you suffer from a weak ego...", comes across like a personal attack. I've noticed that there are a lot of "keyboard tough guys" on this forum which was really surprising to me being it's an MB forum...and for whatever reason I thought there would be a more mature audience. Just my two cents..."can't we all just get along??"
Hey it was a diagnostic observation not an attack one. Looks like a certified histrionic personality disorder to me. DSM IV criteria. At least that's how I'd put it in his medical record. If someone is going to have a meltdown the instant someone disagrees with his viewpoint he has a problem, not the other way around.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Posting ignore lists probably isn't the best way to go...

won't somebody, please think of the children
Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting how this thread is becoming exactly what I was complaining about. I think we have a long way to go as far as an understanding of board etiquette, mutual respect, and consideration for others.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Interesting how this thread is becoming exactly what I was complaining about. I think we have a long way to go as far as an understanding of board etiquette, mutual respect, and consideration for others.
Agree completely, if you are new to a forum the first thing you do isn't tell other posters your are putting them on your ignore list! In fact, within his first 10 posts!!!! If you want to ignore someone you just do it, not threaten them with it!

Besides the point, how are your snow tires working out?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:30 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
Some people just like to troll the internet forums.

I also have no idea why that C400 poster above is constantly others... his car is about to become "obsolete" with the C450 and C63 AMG.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic

Besides the point, how are your snow tires working out?
I wish I could answer your question. I just ... just meaning 20 minutes ago ... got my car back from the dealer for the tire recall. I now have two new Continental 225x45/18's up front, but couldn't put the snows on until this was done.

I have a Sunday appointment for the snows ... will post a report some time next week.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM

C300
That's the internet

Don't be too discouraged by negativity on these posts. Haven't you noticed that people tend to write really awful things for viewing on the computer or that by the nature of the way words are presented in this format they sound harsh? I mean all the people coming on here to make themselves feel better because they own another brand and want to put down this one aside, people can sound blunt. I just joined this forum but only did so to put in my own words to balance. It is alright to discuss and critique design and the choices of manufacturers in the auto industry. I wanted to say, as a W204 owner that I felt that the thing I liked about my car (first year model) was altered in the facelift and lost in the new car. I called the interior "blingy" and it is by comparison to either version of the W204 in my opinion. I just felt that so much of the rest of the things about it on the internet, save frequent complaints about the Nav screen were overly praising to a point. I didn't sit in the three versions of it long enough to notice so much. Although I did notice right away that the rolling silver dial for the volume control on the cernter consol seemed in a bad spot. Somebody's dog is going to constantly be stepping on that... I used to have a W210. Wow the negative things I read and my car was one of them. The beautiful thing was composed here and there of cheaper parts. Roof liner coming down, paint finish going, dash cracked, sun roof cover rattling, stirring squeaked, and the agony of constant repairs made it a trial and the forums echoed that but I came back for more with my little black C300 because there was something about the heritage and the weight of these cars-mostly the good looks that attracted me. That's all I wanted to say about the W205, that it seems a bit loaded with obvious sparkle in an attempt to catch some new buyers-CTS and Lexus people maybe. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'll feel sad not having something in a similar slot. The W205 doesn't merely replace the W204, it is the evolution of it into something else-something this owner may not want next time around. Then again, I'm 55 and wish all MB products were more timeless and attractive the way they used to be. Maybe next time around sadly, I won't buy a Mercedes.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Hey...I consider myself lucky to even be on an MB forum...my first car was a Chevy Vega...

The Grinch: I am the Grinch that stole Christmas... and I'm sorry.
[long silence]
The Grinch: Aren't you going to cuff me? Beat me up? Blind me with pepper spray?
Mayor Augustus Maywho: You heard him, Officer. He admitted it. I'd go with the pepper spray.
Officer Wholihan: Yes, I heard him all right. He said he was sorry.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM

C300
Now that's what I'm talking about

Right on NYStyle! Ain't it the truth. It's Thanksgiving next week. What good fortune we have!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
geezer rant lol
missed dose of your beta blocker? Kidding of course.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 PM

I commend you for trying Stan.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
First, WHY DID I NOT KNOW THERE WAS AN IGNORE LIST???

And secondly, I like Sportstick's posts....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why so much negativity here?