C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

My fuel filler door was just replaced ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My fuel filler door was just replaced ....

My C300 was delivered with a pretty poorly fit fuel filler door. It protruded on the top edge, so much so that it looked partially open. The dealer said there was no adjustment in the assembly, and it had to be replaced.

My biggest concern with a new assembly was color matching the new door. My dealer picked up the car last Wednesday and had it back on Friday, with a new door assembly in place. The fit was fine, and the color match was spot on.

Yesterday, Sunday, my wife and I got out of the car and she noticed something by the fuel door. There were two very obvious paint chips on the edge of the fuel door opening. I have an email into the service manager this morning, along with these two pictures. Of course, I realize this is very minor damage, but it is damage to a car with 1100 miles on it that was perfect when they got it.

I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I expect them to once again pick up the car, send it to their body shop, and repair the damage.

In the two months since I picked the car up, it's been back for the steering column recall, a new set of front tires under recall, one realignment because the steering wheel was off slightly, the fuel filler door, and now it will have to go back for this nonsense.

I really like this car, but it would be nice to be able to actually drive it rather than a series of loaners from the dealer.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It's funny. When they launched the W204 it had a wrinkle in the fuel door. The moulding was corrected (First plastic door IIRC)

Make them repair the chips. Fortunately spot repair is possible with perfect results with the Glasurit water based base coat & nano ceramic clear.

Unfortunately early adopters with any new car can expect a few issues. It's how well the dealer handles them that matters. These chips are quite unnecessary.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
My C300 was delivered with a pretty poorly fit fuel filler door. It protruded on the top edge, so much so that it looked partially open. The dealer said there was no adjustment in the assembly, and it had to be replaced.

My biggest concern with a new assembly was color matching the new door. My dealer picked up the car last Wednesday and had it back on Friday, with a new door assembly in place. The fit was fine, and the color match was spot on.

Yesterday, Sunday, my wife and I got out of the car and she noticed something by the fuel door. There were two very obvious paint chips on the edge of the fuel door opening. I have an email into the service manager this morning, along with these two pictures. Of course, I realize this is very minor damage, but it is damage to a car with 1100 miles on it that was perfect when they got it.

I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I expect them to once again pick up the car, send it to their body shop, and repair the damage.

In the two months since I picked the car up, it's been back for the steering column recall, a new set of front tires under recall, one realignment because the steering wheel was off slightly, the fuel filler door, and now it will have to go back for this nonsense.

I really like this car, but it would be nice to be able to actually drive it rather than a series of loaners from the dealer.

You certainly have had your share of ills. Did they do the steering recall already? since the car is there they should take care of that too.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Luxury
My fuel filler door has the exact same issue, it looks like it's partially open when closed the and opening mechanism is very course and feels like it could get stuck at any point. Will be doing it when 5000 miles rolls around, don't feel like it now...
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Jinzen
My fuel filler door has the exact same issue, it looks like it's partially open when closed the and opening mechanism is very course and feels like it could get stuck at any point. Will be doing it when 5000 miles rolls around, don't feel like it now...
Sounds like a smart idea. I certainly don't take the car in unless its a non cosmetic issue, but in Stan's care its a redo of something they had already done.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jinzen
The fuel door is plastic and glued to the bracket, so the entire assembly must be replaced to correct a poor fit. I'm not sure if the plastic door comes pre-painted or not, but it is an absolutely perfect match. (I am very color sensitive and notice the slightest mismatch.)

You would think such obvious fit issues would have been picked up before the car left the factory, wouldn't you? How could any inspector not notice something like this? Or, perhaps, notice it and do nothing about it ... which is probably a more likely scenario.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
The fuel door is plastic and glued to the bracket, so the entire assembly must be replaced to correct a poor fit. I'm not sure if the plastic door comes pre-painted or not, but it is an absolutely perfect match. (I am very color sensitive and notice the slightest mismatch.)

You would think such obvious fit issues would have been picked up before the car left the factory, wouldn't you? How could any inspector not notice something like this? Or, perhaps, notice it and do nothing about it ... which is probably a more likely scenario.
PLASTIC???? No darned wonder then. I would have thought it was a nice, light, aluminum part! Plastic body parts are a nightmare for fit and finish. Particularly when they have any sort of curve in it.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
PLASTIC???? No darned wonder then. I would have thought it was a nice, light, aluminum part! Plastic body parts are a nightmare for fit and finish. Particularly when they have any sort of curve in it.
My last two Corvettes were all plastic and the fit and finish was actually very good.

The plastic filler cover on the W205 looks no different than any other external part, but it is glued on to a plastic arm assembly. The arm assembly, and how it is attached, is the problem ... not the door itself.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
I'm not sure if the plastic door comes pre-painted or not, but it is an absolutely perfect match. .
I think it's painted at the same time as the body (see RH front door - 0:56 of video below)

Also an view of it from the inside at 3:18.

Last edited by W124-FTW; 11-24-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by W124-FTW
I think it's painted at the same time as the body (see RH front door - 0:56 of video below)

W205 Mercedes BenzC Class Painting Production Video - YouTube

Also an view of it from the inside at 3:18.
I love watching robots work. However they make QC so much important since the robots simply know how to spray a pattern they. They don't detect when there is a problem with the nozzles or paint delivery etc, however, they are a lot more consistent than humans. I wonder how thorough the guys with the white gloves are when the cameras are not around.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
I'm sure I've seen the guy at 3:10 staring in an adult movie
Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Sorry to hear about your issues, Stan. This is one of the reasons I chose to buy my car from the dealer that is less than one mile from my office. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a moot point.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Capt Slo
Sorry to hear about your issues, Stan. This is one of the reasons I chose to buy my car from the dealer that is less than one mile from my office. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a moot point.
This is the only MB dealer in the state. Local dealers cover GM, Ford, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler. Nothing in those lines appealed to me. The MB dealer does provide "valet" service, so they're usually willing to pick up and deliver the car. They have been good, but they don't do their own body work.

Still haven't gotten a response to my email and pictures.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
This is the only MB dealer in the state. Local dealers cover GM, Ford, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler. Nothing in those lines appealed to me. The MB dealer does provide "valet" service, so they're usually willing to pick up and deliver the car. They have been good, but they don't do their own body work.

I know that wasn't an option for you, just stating the reason why I chose the dealer I did. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
That really sucks. Do you have any pictures of the "before"?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 650i GC
Originally Posted by W124-FTW
I'm sure I've seen the guy at 3:10 staring in an adult movie
Meat gazer!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T

Actually there are two dealers in NH (according to mbusa), and the ones in VT and ME are actually closer (well, at least to the post office in Whitefield)

Surprising how far apart they are....we have about 10 in the Toronto area...maybe because Canadians end up paying so much more that we can support them on every two city blocks
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It should never have got through QC like that. Tuscaloosa used to have a dreadful reputation for poor fit & finish on the ML which was it's main line. It was so bad that SA changed supply to Austria after a slew of customer complaints. That said, Stuttgart kicked many butts & we have reverted to Tuscaloosa supply & the latest ML's are very good.

It would be interesting to know who moulds & assembles the fuel door. Being early production it might still be from Europe. Benz is going to have to do a Honda on US component suppliers & explain to them that they are not supplying one of the big 3.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mihaelb
Actually there are two dealers in NH (according to mbusa), and the ones in VT and ME are actually closer (well, at least to the post office in Whitefield)

Surprising how far apart they are....we have about 10 in the Toronto area...maybe because Canadians end up paying so much more that we can support them on every two city blocks
There is one listed in Rochester, NH but he's really in Maine. If you read their ads, they're "near" Rochester, NH but not in it. Holloway in Manchester is, as far as I know, the only MB dealer in our state.

In any case, the dealers in Maine and Vermont are not as easy to get to, and actually are about a 30-45 minutes longer trip. We have no east-west highways, so anything other than a north-south run winds up on small two lane roads for much of the trip. Manchester is a straight run on I-93 and takes about an hour and 45 minutes of mostly highway driving.

The other reason I chose this NH dealer was the availability of valet service. If I really don't want to drive down for service, they will pick up my car, leave a brand new loaner, and then return my car washed and vacuumed when service has been completed. My Porsche dealer is even further away, in Stratham, NH, and offers that same valet service. I bought my 981 S from them even though I found a better price in Massachusetts because of that service.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
There is one listed in Rochester, NH but he's really in Maine. If you read their ads, they're "near" Rochester, NH but not in it. Holloway in Manchester is, as far as I know, the only MB dealer in our state.

In any case, the dealers in Maine and Vermont are not as easy to get to, and actually are about a 30-45 minutes longer trip. We have no east-west highways, so anything other than a north-south run winds up on small two lane roads for much of the trip. Manchester is a straight run on I-93 and takes about an hour and 45 minutes of mostly highway driving.

The other reason I chose this NH dealer was the availability of valet service. If I really don't want to drive down for service, they will pick up my car, leave a brand new loaner, and then return my car washed and vacuumed when service has been completed. My Porsche dealer is even further away, in Stratham, NH, and offers that same valet service. I bought my 981 S from them even though I found a better price in Massachusetts because of that service.
I wonder if they have this valet thing in Canada...hmmm...Distance won't matter then, I guess. Do they drive your car back/forth, or put it on a truck bed or something?

As for the carwashing abilities of Mercedes, well, after it looked like they washed my car with milk a couple of times, I told them to not touch it after repairs (and yelled at them once when they did, as I have to wash it after they wash it)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mihaelb
I wonder if they have this valet thing in Canada...hmmm...Distance won't matter then, I guess. Do they drive your car back/forth, or put it on a truck bed or something?

As for the carwashing abilities of Mercedes, well, after it looked like they washed my car with milk a couple of times, I told them to not touch it after repairs (and yelled at them once when they did, as I have to wash it after they wash it)
They have a driver ... a flat bed would be cost prohibitive for a service like this. Last time they left me a 2015 C300 Luxury as a loaner.

My car has been fine as far as their washing and vacuuming. The two times I've had it in for service, the car came back spotless in and out. They even leave a card with the name of the person who detailed the car.