C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Lowering with Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Eilers

This is not the case, to which i have argued my point. I do not need personal experience with a links-lowered C class airmatic to know I am right on this one, you just need common sense and basic knowledge. I mean just look at your car. it looks ridiculous..

The interweb if stacked full of people reporting about......

This forum has mostly too good of people for some saying how others ride 'looks ridiculous'. Even if it's not your particular taste, this isn't a caddy middle school chat room.

I'm also with floridadriver 's comment. Unless you have personal experience on this car, you don't really have anything to argue about here either. I'd at least try someone else's success story before I disagreed so adamantly.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 4matic wagon
Lowering a C class

I would be interested in doing the opposite - raising my 2005 E320 4Matic (W211) so it wouldn't bottom out on Vermont mud season dirt roads. I don't have the Airmatic suspension.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Originally Posted by kellens
This forum has mostly too good of people for some saying how others ride 'looks ridiculous'. Even if it's not your particular taste, this isn't a caddy middle school chat room.

I'm also with floridadriver 's comment. Unless you have personal experience on this car, you don't really have anything to argue about here either. I'd at least try someone else's success story before I disagreed so adamantly.
Right.. and you need to buy Herbalife before you can say it's a ponzi scheme..fine logic there..

There wil always be some living in denial. Those who claim you can slam your car, or stick on massive wheels with rubber bands for tires, and still retain factory ride quality.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Eilers, considering your constant serach for dirt while looking through member logs you should also have noticed that my comment regarding Comfort was made before I fitted 20.s.

But I guess that is your big problem, you are so adamant in trying to prove others wrong that you disregard anything but your own percieved truths.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Right.. and you need to buy Herbalife before you can say it's a ponzi scheme..fine logic there..

There wil always be some living in denial. Those who claim you can slam your car, or stick on massive wheels with rubber bands for tires, and still retain factory ride quality.
It seems you missed the context of the thread. VicViper isn't 'selling' anything....only amiably pointing out his work with his car's airmatic and his personal perspectives first hand when he was asked. And you're bringing....Herbalife...and argumentatively what your inexperience on lowering this car tells you. YOU don't like it, it's clear, move along. I like the look, and really enjoy reading stuff like these mods people are trying out. Then again, I'm a junior 'Benz junkie so to speak.

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-23-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by floridadriver
It seems you missed the context of the thread. VicViper isn't 'selling' anything....only amiably pointing out his work with his car's airmatic and his personal perspectives first hand when he was asked. And you're bringing....Herbalife...and argumentatively what your inexperience on lowering this car tells you. YOU don't like it, it's clear, move along. I like the look, and really enjoy reading stuff like these mods people are trying out. Then again, I'm a junior 'Benz junkie so to speak.
Same here, I enjoy reading and learning about airmatic, I don't have my vehicle yet, in approximately two weeks I will be pestering my dealer on a daily basis for updates. Vic's post made me realize ho much potential and configuration range we can get out of the settings and his educated experiments are very welcomed.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
I mean just look at your car. it looks ridiculous..
Looks good to me.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM

B200T
Looks good to me too. Canadian speedbumps would kill it, though
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
We have a lot of speedbumps in my area as well, none of them has made me rub or hit anything yet.

Also if I find a bump higher than normal all I have to do is select the Comfort agility setting or maybe even"raised" button.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM

S205
Originally Posted by vic viper
Eilers, considering your constant serach for dirt while looking through member logs you should also have noticed that my comment regarding Comfort was made before I fitted 20.s.

But I guess that is your big problem, you are so adamant in trying to prove others wrong that you disregard anything but your own percieved truths.
Paranoid much Why are you avoiding the subject?

Apparently you do not understand that you are dealing with, or you only realised it too late, after I spoke on the subject.

How can a technician not know that the car has conventional hydraulic piston/valve operated shocks, and not understand what happens when you drop the car by as much as you have?

No amount of reprogramming is going to absolve the fact that the shocks on your car will have to do the same work as before, but in less time and with less piston movement available during compression.

If you could reprogramme both compression and rebound ratio on the shocks, (which i am 90% sure is not possible on this car) then you can tune it to avoid bottoming out and not be unsafe and seriously uncomfortable to drive with the rebound all out of wack.

But (unless you physically expand the volume of the shock housing) you can never never never never compensate for the shorter piston stroke during compression. This translates directly into a firmer ride. The more you lower it, the firmer the ride gets.

From what i read, you just reprogrammed the airsprings to accomodate the lowering links, and then assumed the sensor operated adaptive function of the shocks allows them to work inside the range. That is quite the assumption!

Either way, in both scenarious, you will get a firmer ride, so your claim is ridiculous purely from the technical side of things.

That which i just outlined, - combined with you having a side business selling parts to people here and there, leads me to assume that you work at the MB dealershp as a Parts Clerk and not as a Technician. Am i wrong there?

If you have anything to add on the technical side of this discussion, then I am all ears. The personal attacks.. them we don't need.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Dont even start with the personal attacks, look over your own posts first will you.

Also I cannot see why you keep ranting about this?, I have never said that lowering an Airmatic vehicle is optimal or benefitial for the system in any way, I am very well aware of the technical aspects of the system, no need for you to explain it.
Also you are mistakenly claiming that I can perform "wonders" with the diagnosis computer?
As I have explained several times in this and other threads all I do with the diagnosis tool is fine adjust height as well as setting the wishbone angle parameters, this has nothing to do with bound, rebound and what not.
The members on this board are interested in personal experiences, there is no need to go into technical details, and here I have provided my opinion, everyone but you takes it for what it is, and you havnt even driven a lowered airmatic vehicle, my guess is that you havnt driven an airmatic vehicle at all.

Read my words again, I have never written anything about my lowered vehicle being the SAME as a non lowered, that is a pretty big difference.

Talking about avoiding the subject, you havnt answered any of my questions, for what reason do you think would I lie about my experiences?
I am not selling the links, I am not making any royalties on anything regarding this, and why are you seemingly the ONLY one here claiming that I am lying?

It is so obvious that you hold a personal grudge agains me and that you do not tolerate being proven wrong and you must spend tonnes of post making an apparent fool out of yourself.

Regarding my position at our company, have you ever considered that one person can have several different work tasks and titles? We are a small family business, I am also in charge of IT, maybe worth mentioning considering that you seem so curious?
And does it matter?, I dont care what you do for a living, but it is pretty obvious that it has nothing to do with cars

Last edited by vic viper; 03-26-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:21 PM

S205
Blah..blah..blah.. talking around the subject...blah..blah..blah....personal attacks...
What i do is my business, but it must be pretty clear by now that I am in Motorsports and used to deal with people and professionals who are what they say, and not what they pretend to be.

Ride qualty is pretty much intact, the Comfort mode is almost exactly the same while the sport mode gets a bit firmer.
That was the argument who started this debacle. To which if i read correctly into what you are saying now, you are redacting?

In case you missed it, i own a S205 Airmatic.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Oh you are in motorsports, but of course you cannot tell any details?

I have nothing to hide and I never have, please feel free to browse all my previous posts (oh sorry forgot youve already done that ) also I am not changing my initial statement if that is what "redacting" mean, still got to give it to you, your English is better than mine.

You judge me for talking around the subject and then you make a post like this?, you know what double standards are right?

Bottom line, you are nothing but a simple troll, and yes I have failed, because I couldnt resist feeding that troll.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Oh you are in motorsports, but of course you cannot tell any details?

I have nothing to hide and I never have, please feel free to browse all my previous posts (oh sorry forgot youve already done that ) also I am not changing my initial statement if that is what "redacting" mean, still got to give it to you, your English is better than mine.

You judge me for talking around the subject and then you make a post like this?, you know what double standards are right?

Bottom line, you are nothing but a simple troll, and yes I have failed, because I couldnt resist feeding that troll.
Eilers says we can "say" whatever we want. It doesn't make it right or credible. If it does, then I'd say we donate Eilers for hourly floggings with his keyboard claiming it as a tax deduction for civic improvement. From reading many posts, Eilers and C4004matic stand out of the crowd in a not good way. Most people on here are decent with their diverging opinions though. Vic, you're information is from your experiences and diplomatically expressed. Please keep us up to date with your work!

Last edited by kellens; 03-26-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Couldn't agree more and thanks for the support, I feel it is a shame that threads that could be informative for others gets "infected" with these nonsense discussions, and as I mentioned before I take part of the blame, I obviously should have ignored him long ago.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Vic - just ignore him.... The rest of us do!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Vic - just ignore him.... The rest of us do!
+1
Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
2 Vic Viper i have ordered lowering links from here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tieferlegung-...item338fe56005

I am going to install it by myself, I want to lower the car aproximately 20-30mm maximum. I am prepared for alignment, but how to tell dealer to do the job in Star software?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by notabenex
2 Vic Viper i have ordered lowering links from here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tieferlegung-...item338fe56005

I am going to install it by myself, I want to lower the car aproximately 20-30mm maximum. I am prepared for alignment, but how to tell dealer to do the job in Star software?

Thanks

Just remember to have the car in Comfort (default height) when fitting and adjusting the links.
The tech should then through Xentry enter the airmatic control unit and perform a level calibration, it is very self explanatory and they should be able to work that out with ease.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:42 AM

Just remember to have the car in Comfort (default height) when fitting and adjusting the links.
The tech should then through Xentry enter the airmatic control unit and perform a level calibration, it is very self explanatory and they should be able to work that out with ease.
So I will just ask my dealer to do what? Is it safe to tell them about links? (warranty)

Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
There is actually no need to do a level calibration if you are satisfied with the height after fitting the links.
The hardest part is to remove the stock links without damaging the sensor or the upper brackets as they only sit in a very thin spring assembly.
Remove the spring assembly and the lower nut on the level sensor and then remove the links while out of the car.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:03 PM

2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Anyone figure out how to source these links in the US?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 PM

CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Anyone figure out how to source these links in the US?
no joy, i have contacted UK chap, not available yet. German site says america, problably means Argentina - let me know what you find. There are a lot of support for other MB models.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM

So my links has just arrived. Will give it a try next week
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM

SLK200
@vic viper

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It was great to read and learn.

After having after market air suspension on all of my previous car this will be my first factory fitted air suspension. Hopefully will be delivered at the end of September.

As I do after market air suspension solutions for living(second job )let me tell you what I know about comfort and lowering.

Air bags on air suspension cars behave like progressive springs.
More you inflate firmer the ride becomes. It is simple logic.
Same principle as your tires.
So at mid level you get optimum comfort.
But when you lower it than it becomes more comfortable until you bottom out(or if you are bottoming out on bumps etc)
With adaptive suspension it should be joy to drive with lowering links since you get firmer shocks. That will make an excellent duo since damping adjustment make it difficult to bottom out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering with Airmatic