C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 or C450?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by coladin
I have a 2014 E350 4Matic Wagon with the Sport Package. Car doesn't float. Lucky for you that I won two of the cars you talk about, but know nothing about.

Keep it up!

I have had 3 Benzes from Germany, 3 from the States. I don't realy find any difference in build quality. They both have niggling issues regardless of where they come from. One tends to overlook any minor annoyances if you like the car.
Well I've had 3 E350 Sports. We simply have different definitions of float. It's float city to me, yet also very harsh. Probably the least favored chassis I've had. My 5 Series M Sport I found much improved in this regard, not harsh, not as floaty, but still too floaty for my tastes. Simply different ways we judge rides, clearly. There's a video MT did when they threw midsize sedans around a track. The word they used for the E350 "Sport" was "sea sick". Takes a lot of float to generate that.

And for this I too agree with Glyn, they're gonna throw everything they can at the next E. And if the new 7 leaked pics are any indication, while the next 5 might be a big improvement in drive, the design language going forward leaves much to be desired. The E will be a scaled up and more opulent W205.

Last edited by K-A; 01-04-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by K-A
Well I've had 3 E350 Sports. We simply have different definitions of float. It's float city to me, yet also very harsh. Probably the least favored chassis I've had. My 5 Series M Sport I found much improved in this regard, not harsh, not as floaty, but still too floaty for my tastes. Simply different ways we judge rides, clearly. There's a video MT did when they threw midsize sedans around a track. The word they used for the E350 "Sport" was "sea sick". Takes a lot of float to generate that.

And for this I too agree with Glyn, they're gonna throw everything they can at the next E. And if the new 7 leaked pics are any indication, while the next 5 might be a big improvement in drive, the design language going forward leaves much to be desired. The E will be a scaled up and more opulent W205.

Yeah, you are probably right. When me and the family went autocrossing, all 5 of us, in my neck of the woods in Calabogie, when I turned in a little early at turn 4, at 110mph, i detected some floatiness as my daughter's rattled flew by my head. Then at turn 7, a decreasing radius righty, that darned floatiness creeped up on me again while the rear was drifting into overseer at 130mph...I may have been distracted by wife's nails digging into my forearm trying to help me correct the slide.

But on the road, even under aggressive driving...no float city here.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'd take a sharp turn at 15 MPH and the car would float exaggeratedly. In fact, my friend drove it home when I got my BMW and almost swerved into the other lane. When I asked "WTF"? He said "I had no idea this car handles so loose, like an old Cadillac", surprised me that I'd been so used to it. All MB's are at their best on the autobahn, but sensitivity to float is something that can also vary from person to person and doesn't mean a car can't confidently drive at high speeds.

To me, between the two, the W205 is already plenty soft and comfortable so its extra relative smaller nimbleness is welcome, float is a bit less exaggerated and it has the 9G which I'm not sure if the E350 comes with. It also has a nicer interior I think, dramatically nicer seats than those old sofa chairs on the E, and better tech which is usually low on my priority list, but why not. Other than the W205 being more cramped in ways (probably mostly vertically and in width as the wheelbase is pretty close I believe), I think there's a strong case against the E Class right now.

Last edited by K-A; 01-04-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by K-A
I'd take a sharp turn at 15 MPH and the car would float exaggeratedly. In fact, my friend drove it home when I got my BMW and almost swerved into the other lane. When I asked "WTF"? He said "I had no idea this car handles so loose, like an old Cadillac", surprised me that I'd been so used to it. All MB's are at their best on the autobahn, but sensitivity to float is something that can also vary from person to person and doesn't mean a car can't confidently drive at high speeds.

To me, between the two, the W205 is already plenty soft and comfortable so its extra relative smaller nimbleness is welcome, float is a bit less exaggerated and it has the 9G which I'm not sure if the E350 comes with. It also has a nicer interior I think, dramatically nicer seats than those old sofa chairs on the E, and better tech which is usually low on my priority list, but why not. Other than the W205 being more cramped in ways (probably mostly vertically and in width as the wheelbase is pretty close I believe), I think there's a strong case against the E Class right now.
What is pretty funny is you cut down the E class yet you had three of them.

Anyways, you are not going to convince me that my car floats. I have one right now. Not your 2011. Guys who have BMWs and Porsches, not all of them but quite a few, tend to talk like they are race car drivers because they have been fed on how great their cars are on a racetrack, the mythical one for 95% of them, yet are average daily drivers. The 5000 series is a good car but is plagued with its own issues which is why it doesnt own the*comparisons like it used to. We will agree to disagree on this one but, again, your assessment of the cars you talk about are still off base by a lot.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

What is pretty funny is you cut down the E class yet you had three of them.

Anyways, you are not going to convince me that my car floats. I have one right now. Not your 2011. Guys who have BMWs and Porsches, not all of them but quite a few, tend to talk like they are race car drivers because they have been fed on how great their cars are on a racetrack, the mythical one for 95% of them, yet are average daily drivers. The 5000 series is a good car but is plagued with its own issues which is why it doesnt own the*comparisons like it used to. We will agree to disagree on this one but, again, your assessment of the cars you talk about are still off base by a lot.
Some of you are WAY too sensitive about your cars. My comments are not off base. The E is float city to me. The new ones, same suspension. This is the beauty of perspectives, they differ. MB made them floaty on purpose, again the only person "trashing" them is one who denies their very intent. My friend who drove it called it akin to "old Cadillac loose", MT said it made them "sea sick" on a track. Don't act like I'm the only one calling it floaty. That's oppsite from the truth. E's are always called floaty.

Again, trash Porsche all you want, all good. I've driven them on a track, I know their capabilities.

Last edited by K-A; 01-04-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Since this thread has gotten off track as it is....
with new E class, is it likely to be a step between the W205 (a mini S class) and the S? Or a different direction (as the E has been in last couple generations)? Seems odd to have 3 different sized S classes in essence, and a harder sell to get them to go from the E size to S assuming E gets larger.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by K-A
Some of you are WAY too sensitive about your cars. My comments are not off base. The E is float city to me. The new ones, same suspension. This is the beauty of perspectives, they differ. MB made them floaty on purpose, again the only person "trashing" them is one who denies their very intent. My friend who drove it called it akin to "old Cadillac loose", MT said it made them "sea sick" on a track. Don't act like I'm the only one calling it floaty. That's oppsite from the truth. E's are always called floaty.

Again, trash Porsche all you want, all good. I've driven them on a track, I know their capabilities.
I think that you and your friend don't know anything about cars then, I'm afraid. Maybe the MT test driver was hungover?

Why are you so caught up on these cars on a track. Do you live on one or take one everyday to work? Like get over it already. I have driven pretty much every Benz on a racetrack regardless of whether they should be there or not. A base anything Benz is going to float. A sport suspension depending on the application will stiffen up to the desired level as deemed by MB. The AMG models like the E63 is a proper track ready car in spite of its heft and in spite of the likelihood that they will ever see a track.

I understand that you going from you E350 to a Macan may have been enlightening to you and perhaps your perspective is warped because of it. I drove AMGs for almost 5 years and my C400 and E350 both are still sporty. Your thoughts on both of these vehicles are effective as troll bait, not much else. I am guessing the Macan forums are pretty quiet these days?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think that you and your friend don't know anything about cars then, I'm afraid. Maybe the MT test driver was hungover?

Why are you so caught up on these cars on a track. Do you live on one or take one everyday to work? Like get over it already. I have driven pretty much every Benz on a racetrack regardless of whether they should be there or not. A base anything Benz is going to float. A sport suspension depending on the application will stiffen up to the desired level as deemed by MB. The AMG models like the E63 is a proper track ready car in spite of its heft and in spite of the likelihood that they will ever see a track.

I understand that you going from you E350 to a Macan may have been enlightening to you and perhaps your perspective is warped because of it. I drove AMGs for almost 5 years and my C400 and E350 both are still sporty. Your thoughts on both of these vehicles are effective as troll bait, not much else. I am guessing the Macan forums are pretty quiet these days?
Right. Everyone knows nothing but you. Not a multiple E driver, impartial source or "pro" journalist. I went from an E to a 5, actually. I think the E is as antithesis to sporty as you'll find a car in that segment, period. Most seem to agree with me. Now don't let that bother you and enjoy your car and how you perceive it. If it's sporty to you then more power to you. Don't need to get crude and throw sand like a child who doesn't have the best toy if someone else doesn't agree. A Mercdes not being sporty? I believe that's in the brands values, and how it's supposed to be.

Floridadriver: Good point. Seems they're gonna do V3 which would be interesting as the C already looks like a scaled down S. The E will have to introduce something individual and I'd assume it will. Though design looks to be keeping in the "same sausage" theory.

Last edited by K-A; 01-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by K-A
Right. Everyone knows nothing but you. Not a multiple E driver, impartial source or "pro" journalist. I went from an E to a 5, actually. I think the E is as antithesis to sporty as you'll find a car in that segment, period. Most seem to agree with me. Now don't let that bother you and enjoy your car and how you perceive it. If it's sporty to you then more power to you. Don't need to get crude and throw sand like a child who doesn't have the best toy if someone else doesn't agree. A Mercdes not being sporty? I believe that's in the brands values, and how it's supposed to be.

Floridadriver: Good point. Seems they're gonna do V3 which would be interesting as the C already looks like a scaled down S. The E will have to introduce something individual and I'd assume it will. Though design looks to be keeping in the "same sausage" theory.

Your E classes are old and not the latest version is it?

Either way, I am not going to bother with this anymore. I get it. The Benzes of today are not meant for autocrossing duty. Great point. That apparently is your definition of sporty. I don't care what people think about my cars, nor do they have to approve my purchases. I will have a problem with people who are ignorant and pretend to know what they are talking about when they clearly don't. But I will keep this on topic from now on.

Same with you criticising the C400 Sport. Anyone can be a parrot and mimic what is written, but you can't pass it off a fact without driving it for yourself.

Last edited by coladin; 01-05-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

We all have have our different perspectives, simple as that.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
Originally Posted by K-A
We all have have our different perspectives, simple as that.
K-A, I would really like to see your perspective about your current car. Personally I do not understand your choice.

Regards
Amo
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A

I agree with K-A, I had three E350s, one '13 sport, one '14 sport and one '14 sport 4matic. They were all too floaty for sporty back road driving and the '14 4matic was by far the worst - My wife would get sick in it just going to work. That suspension really turned me off to the current E-Class. I would rather drive a C400 than E350 ANY day.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Jeffy
I agree with K-A, I had three E350s, one '13 sport, one '14 sport and one '14 sport 4matic. They were all too floaty for sporty back road driving and the '14 4matic was by far the worst - My wife would get sick in it just going to work. That suspension really turned me off to the current E-Class. I would rather drive a C400 than E350 ANY day.
Yup, extremely floaty and non sporty to me as well. Just about everyone who drove in my E's felt that way (seems to be a general consensus period), my GF would remark about it, etc.. The facelift didn't really change driving dynamics as all, I found, so I felt the exact same in the facelifts I drove. I MUCH prefer the drive of the C300 even to it, C400 no doubt I'm sure I'd like it much more. C450? That's the one I can't wait to drive, even though I can't believe they're already launching it so soon after the C400.

Originally Posted by oachim
K-A, I would really like to see your perspective about your current car. Personally I do not understand your choice.

Regards
Amo
Good thing I really understand my choice. I don't want to get into it here for obvious reasons, but if you're interested I can link you do my updated review threads about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:44 PM

CLA 250
Back on topic, only six and a half days till Detroit.Then we should know all about the C 450 Amg Sport.....
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by dreamerak
Back on topic, only six and a half days till Detroit.Then we should know all about the C 450 Amg Sport.....
Yeah and not one bloody good detailed info leak yet

Last edited by Mark's M; 01-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM

CLA 250
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Yeah and not one bloody good detailed info leak yet
Yeah, i was kind of hoping we would get something, since we have some time to kill, what forum should the C450 Amg Sport be in? AMG OR W205?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 PM

C450 (pre-ordered Jan 14)
Agreed! Back on topic Thanks! I've been scanning anywhere and everywhere for new detail on the C450 and there's nothing to speak of since early December.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Yeah, i was kind of hoping we would get something, since we have some time to kill, what forum should the C450 Amg Sport be in? AMG OR W205?
I'm thinking W205 would be appropriate but our moderator Glyn advised he'll address the issue when full details of the car are released.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 AM

W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
Originally Posted by K-A
Yup, extremely floaty and non sporty to me as well. Just about everyone who drove in my E's felt that way (seems to be a general consensus period), my GF would remark about it, etc.. The facelift didn't really change driving dynamics as all, I found, so I felt the exact same in the facelifts I drove. I MUCH prefer the drive of the C300 even to it, C400 no doubt I'm sure I'd like it much more. C450? That's the one I can't wait to drive, even though I can't believe they're already launching it so soon after the C400.

Good thing I really understand my choice. I don't want to get into it here for obvious reasons, but if you're interested I can link you do my updated review threads about it.
I would appreciate if you can share on private message
Regards,
amo
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
This K-Box will work on either the C400 or 450 being released!

Numbers have not been published yet for the C450
but for the C400 it takes it from 333hp-413!!!

Order yours:

Here