C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

how in the world can i play youtube music off of my phone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C400
how in the world can i play youtube music off of my phone?

since ive had the car i have not been able to figure out how to link my phone to my car to play youtube videos. i have a samsung galaxy note 4 and the only thing ive ever been able to do is play pandora radio through the car speakers, but not youtube.

ive tried linking it with a usb cable and that wont work, the phone keeps playing the music instead of the car. then i tried bluetooth, and when i connect the car+phone, the music on the phone goes silent, but nothing comes out of the car speakers. it just says "device paused" on the comand screen. at first i thought it was a stupid mistake like not hitting the PLAY button on the lower half of the comand screen, but that doesnt work either.

any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Copy the videos onto an SD card or some other portable device and then plug into the car. I'm sure you know however that videos will only play while the car is in park...if you take the car out of park only the audio will play...
Old 12-06-2014, 01:38 PM

C400
no thats not what i mean. i dont care to watch videos on the comand screen, im talking about audio. i cant even get youtube AUDIO to play on my comand screen. if i want to youtube a particular song on my phone and have it play through my cars speakers while i drive, i cant...
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by c400benz
no thats not what i mean. i dont care to watch videos on the comand screen, im talking about audio. i cant even get youtube AUDIO to play on my comand screen. if i want to youtube a particular song on my phone and have it play through my cars speakers while i drive, i cant...

Ok...I was going by your first post "link my phone to my car to play youtube videos." There's an app called "firetube"...which is youtube minus the video. I just went out to my car to try it...and yes it works!! Hope this helps...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S205
Your car is capable of playing any audio coming from your phone - I often listen to twitch.tv streams while driving.

What you want to do is roughly this :

- Enable bluetooth on your phone, and pair it with your car
- Once your car and phone has been paired, check bluetooth settings on your phone and make audio sharing is enabled
- Open youtube on your phone, play a song, and then have your car take over the audio by selecting bluetooth -> your phone

On the subject of "device paused" - I get that too, but the audio will still play, however I did experience with my old E-class that I had to click mute on the steering wheel, and then un-mute, and then turn up the volume - For some odd reason that seemed to "reset" audio and it would play - However, the display in the car would continue to say "device paused", I imagine that is because apps like youtube, twitch, and other "streaming" services are not seen as "players" which the car can integrate. It does work fine though.

Last edited by eaglehorn; 12-06-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 AM

W205 C250
since ive had the car i have not been able to figure out how to link my phone to my car to play youtube videos. i have a samsung galaxy note 4 and the only thing ive ever been able to do is play pandora radio through the car speakers, but not youtube.

ive tried linking it with a usb cable and that wont work, the phone keeps playing the music instead of the car. then i tried bluetooth, and when i connect the car+phone, the music on the phone goes silent, but nothing comes out of the car speakers. it just says "device paused" on the comand screen. at first i thought it was a stupid mistake like not hitting the PLAY button on the lower half of the comand screen, but that doesnt work either.

any suggestions?
Can't you link your phone as a Bluetooth device and just play using the phone
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by gsw5700
Can't you link your phone as a Bluetooth device and just play using the phone
He clearly said he can't - only Pandora works that way.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Can the car play any video ? youtube ? dvd ?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 AM

2015 S205
Originally Posted by cidtek
only Pandora works that way.
The car will play any audio stream you throw at it via bluetooth, since the player is in your "device / phone / ipod etc" and only the audio gets forwarded to the car.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by eaglehorn
The car will play any audio stream you throw at it via bluetooth, since the player is in your "device / phone / ipod etc" and only the audio gets forwarded to the car.
You snipped my quote to make it out of context. The OP said only Pandora streamed via Bluetooth and Youtube didn't.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 AM

2015 S205
You snipped my quote to make it out of context. The OP said only Pandora streamed via Bluetooth and Youtube didn't.
Yes, I did - And my answer would still be the same, had I not.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM

2015 C 300
I tried streaming YouTube audio over Bluetooth with my iPhone and it works just fine. Although with an iPhone YouTube only plays when the phone is unlocked so by locking my phone and screen the audio would them stop. This is an iPhone limitation though not a Mercedes one.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Yes, I did - And my answer would still be the same, had I not.
You're dismissing the issue the OP is having - just merely stating what works for you.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM

2015 S205
You're dismissing the issue the OP is having - just merely stating what works for you.
I commented a few posts back with a suggestion that may help OP.

Where is your contribution in helping OP closer to a solution, other than nagging?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM

I commented a few posts back with a suggestion that may help OP.

Where is your contribution in helping OP closer to a solution, other than nagging?
Nagging??? I just told you to stop snipping my quotes out of context and unlike you I don't offer device that has been stated to already have been tried. Now I'm done continuing this stupid exchange with you as it's pointless and not helping anyone.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM

2015 S205
Nagging??? I just told you to stop snipping my quotes out of context and unlike you I don't offer device that has been stated to already have been tried. Now I'm done continuing this stupid exchange with you as it's pointless and not helping anyone.
+1
Old 01-20-2015, 03:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
new US version of youtube

Originally Posted by richardamp
I tried streaming YouTube audio over Bluetooth with my iPhone and it works just fine. Although with an iPhone YouTube only plays when the phone is unlocked so by locking my phone and screen the audio would them stop. This is an iPhone limitation though not a Mercedes one.

The new US version of youtube plays in background even when screen is turned off on Android, but i do not know about iphone ?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 AM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by richardamp
richardamp - there is a work around with this although it is a bit of a clumsy one. Like you noted the iPhone YouTube app doesn't continue the audio while the phone is locked. However if you browse youtube using Safari (dafault iPhone) browser and lock your screen you then just hit the play button on the lock screen and you're good to go.

I'm not sure how this handles playlists etc but worth a try.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM

2015 C400 loaded
How about you stop getting your music off of a crappy youtube streaming? Sorry but this this is just a TERRIBLE source of music.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 AM

gla250
Your car is capable of playing any audio coming from your phone - I often listen to twitch.tv streams while driving.

What you want to do is roughly this :

- Enable bluetooth on your phone, and pair it with your car
- Once your car and phone has been paired, check bluetooth settings on your phone and make audio sharing is enabled
- Open youtube on your phone, play a song, and then have your car take over the audio by selecting bluetooth -> your phone

On the subject of "device paused" - I get that too, but the audio will still play, however I did experience with my old E-class that I had to click mute on the steering wheel, and then un-mute, and then turn up the volume - For some odd reason that seemed to "reset" audio and it would play - However, the display in the car would continue to say "device paused", I imagine that is because apps like youtube, twitch, and other "streaming" services are not seen as "players" which the car can integrate. It does work fine though.
thank you so much... this solved my problem.. I have been driving my 2015 GLA250 for 5 months and did not know how to play the music from my phone youtube. I appreciate your time to post your instructions