C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Car Cleaning 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W205
Car Cleaning 101

I wanted to ask for help regarding ways of cleaning my soon expected W205 and save it from swirls and paint messes done during the normal car wash. Car washes tend to do a very lousy job in cleaning the car and don't use the best material cloths nor soaps.

I live in Egypt and the cars here tend to get dirty very quickly and might need a wash on a daily basis to keep clean.

Moreover, we do have Xpel coating here but costs a ridiculous 2,000 $ to get on the full car. Is it worth it?

Any advice would reallllly be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Originally Posted by AhmedEssam
I wanted to ask for help regarding ways of cleaning my soon expected W205 and save it from swirls and paint messes done during the normal car wash. Car washes tend to do a very lousy job in cleaning the car and don't use the best material cloths nor soaps.

I live in Egypt and the cars here tend to get dirty very quickly and might need a wash on a daily basis to keep clean.

Moreover, we do have Xpel coating here but costs a ridiculous 2,000 $ to get on the full car. Is it worth it?

You can get all the information you need here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300

I wouldn't do the whole car...but I did do the front, mirrors, headlights, and behind the wheels. There is a lot of information out there in regards to how to wash and maintain your car in order to reduce swirl marks. You can research "two bucket" method of washing...good luck and congrats on the car.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:49 PM

C180 W205
I am not a fan of doing half the car only as that would show clearly after the car is say 1 year old and all the swirls can be seen very clear on the paint. I would do the whole car or non of it. The thing is that we do not have the mentality of washing our own cars only like 1% in the country do so and the others just go to petrol stations to get it washed or even by the building keeper, which of course always does a lousy job. Anyways would love anymore input on this. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
In my experience, application new of long life polymer sealants like Auto Armor drastically reduce clear coat swirls. I do all my cars new & again at 5 years. In SA the price is however reasonable.

In Egypt's dusty/sandy conditions (I have spent a reasonable amount of time there in my global job) you really need to hose down the car very thoroughly or pressure wash it first before touching the paintwork to get the worst of the muck off or micro scratching is likely

Also select a light colour or one of the metallic Silvers like Palladium that do not highlight swirls like the dark colours do.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM

C180 W205
Unfortunately, I ordered the black color for the W205 But I think its one of the best one for the car. We do wash down the dust and all but when water is a problem at certain locations then the car gets the swirls I think. I will take your points and recommendations into consideration and hope all goes well.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Unfortunately, I ordered the black color for the W205 But I think its one of the best one for the car. We do wash down the dust and all but when water is a problem at certain locations then the car gets the swirls I think. I will take your points and recommendations into consideration and hope all goes well.
Having owned a black car...if you find yourself where water is a problem...do yourself a favor...just leave it until you can actually get to some water. Better to have a dirty car than one with swirls and scratches. The Xpel does help protect the paint...but it will also scuff/scratch as well...so it does require some care in order to keep it looking good. In any case good luck!!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Black is the most beautiful color but its slavery to keep up white is another pain. I promised myself to never get neither one again.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Check out the stuff from Chemical Guys. Their M-Sealer in is a fantastic product with plenty of reviews to back it up (http://www.chemicalguys.com/M_Seal_P...wac_113_16.htm) .. it'll be the first thing I put on my C Class when I get it. I've used it on my current vehicle and quite honestly hardly anything sticks to that stuff - it's incredible and keeps your car much cleaner. Lasts about a month or two (sometimes longer) but is very easy to apply and maintain.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 AM

C180 W205
I think I have a lot of great input from you guys, appreciate it...
One last thing, does anyone here have any recommendations how to maintain the cleanness of the center black glossy console and at the same time save it from wipe scratches and all. I have a bad experience from my previous Peugeot 508 which also had a relatively glossy center piece and that didn't hold up very well from towel scratches. Is there anything i can apply on it like Xpel to protect?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Once again apply long life polymer sealant. Brush dust off with a static duster. Wipe with a damp Chamois leather ~ Synthetic OK.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 AM

C180 W205
Glyn M Ruck thanks for your continuous support and prompt assistance.
Any video you think explains and describes what you recommended up there?
I am a real dummy when it comes to this, I think a lot of people are the same due to the culture. I am planning of purchasing a Karcher high pressure washer too and getting all the needed kit for doing my car myself. Need loads of education. Thanks...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know of a video that covers my methods. There are plenty of detailing videos out there.

The Karcher is a fine idea.

http://www.autoarmor.co.za/paint-interior-protection - see paint shield.

Static Dusters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stat...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Chamois Leathers

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cle...leather--large

http://www.shieldchem.co.za/index.ph...mois-a-sponges
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know of a video that covers my methods. There are plenty of detailing videos out there.

The Karcher is a fine idea.

http://www.autoarmor.co.za/paint-interior-protection - see paint shield.

Static Dusters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stat...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Chamois Leathers

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cle...leather--large

http://www.shieldchem.co.za/index.ph...mois-a-sponges
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Glyn M Ruck thanks for your continuous support and prompt assistance.
Any video you think explains and describes what you recommended up there?
I am a real dummy when it comes to this, I think a lot of people are the same due to the culture. I am planning of purchasing a Karcher high pressure washer too and getting all the needed kit for doing my car myself. Need loads of education. Thanks...

I've had black cars and yes, beautiful when clean but definitely more time consuming to keep up appearances. My 2011 C63 was Obsidian Black and while living in a construction zone of new housing, the dust most likely mimics what you live in! If you can garage it, I would recommend, on top of seasonal high quality wax jobs, I would always after garaging the car pull out my California Duster to wipe off the dust. This prolonged the washing cycle for me significantly.