C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wind noise in C400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes ~ it's the same old attitude & aptitude equation. Some heads would surely have to roll.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Ok...update...the door seal was replaced Monday on the drivers' side...repair sheet says "test drove car...wind/whistling noise gone." Well unfortunately the wind/whistling sound is still there...I'm taking it back in tomorrow to go for a drive with the tech. The wind/whistling starts at 40mph or higher... The one think I can say that I noticed after the seal replacement is that the door is quieter when shut...a nice solid thump you hear when closing the door. Well it's back to the dealership I go to see if they can figure out what's causing the wind/whistling from coming thru...
Old 01-08-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C400
Wind noise confirmed

Our local Dallas tech told me this was not the first W205 he has worked on for wind noise. They are testing now, I expect they'll replace the door seal. Hopefully that will help. More soon.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Ok..out with tech this morning (the one who replaced seal) for test drive. He also could also hear wind noise. He got keys to another W205 (C300) to see what that sounded like...well that car sounded as if it had no seals. He literally could hear the wind/whistling sound from the passenger seat. He said..."now I see why this is the loaner." Anyway he then came out with some device which had headphones connected to it which he said would measure cabin quietness. Well device says car measures good...he adjusted the door seal (top) where he hear the wind during test drive. Well it's better than it was but not completely gone (intermittent). I could live with it...at least now I don't notice it with the radio on...where as before you could still hear it.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM

2015 C400
Hi all I recently took my car back to the dealer with this same concern (as well as a poorly fitted rear bumper. I posted in the other thread).

They identified the issue as a poorly fitted wing mirror. The gap was allowing air to actually bypass the seal and enter the car. I could feel the cool air entering by placing a hand up against the speaker and the front window. You'll have to try this and see if your issue is similar. I think there may also have been a visible misalignment on the exterior where the mirror mount housing meets with the satin chrome trim around the window but I don't recall exactly and I have no before pic.

In any case, Seattle MB was able to correct the problem with a body shop they contract out with but it was a warranty repair and was free of charge.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by Astigmatism
Hi all I recently took my car back to the dealer with this same concern (as well as a poorly fitted rear bumper. I posted in the other thread).

They identified the issue as a poorly fitted wing mirror. The gap was allowing air to actually bypass the seal and enter the car. I could feel the cool air entering by placing a hand up against the speaker and the front window. You'll have to try this and see if your issue is similar. I think there may also have been a visible misalignment on the exterior where the mirror mount housing meets with the satin chrome trim around the window but I don't recall exactly and I have no before pic.

In any case, Seattle MB was able to correct the problem with a body shop they contract out with but it was a warranty repair and was free of charge.

Good luck!
Thanks I'll see if that helps...
Old 02-01-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
Thanks I'll see if that helps...
Any more information or fixes on the wind noise at front of door/window issue? Seal replacement better than adjustment? Window seal fix? Mirror fix? Sounds a common issue. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Any more information or fixes on the wind noise at front of door/window issue? Seal replacement better than adjustment? Window seal fix? Mirror fix? Sounds a common issue. Thanks!

I actually decided to go to another MB dealership to see what they thought. They immediately taped around the windshield near the top on drivers side...apparently that's where the wind/sound is coming from. The windshield seal apparently stops approximately 1 inch from the top of the windshield...I thought that was good news as they found the cause...but apparently it's designed that way...although not necessarily to allow the wind sound. There currently is no fix so I'm waiting to hear back from MB.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM

2015 C300 RWD
I actually decided to go to another MB dealership to see what they thought. They immediately taped around the windshield near the top on drivers side...apparently that's where the wind/sound is coming from. The windshield seal apparently stops approximately 1 inch from the top of the windshield...I thought that was good news as they found the cause...but apparently it's designed that way...although not necessarily to allow the wind sound. There currently is no fix so I'm waiting to hear back from MB.
Thaks for keeping us posted, interesting, so it sounds it's not the side window or door seal....though that's where it seems to come from. You'd think there'd be a way to pack removable seal or something in the gap IF noise is gone when taped there. Interesting. They say to pound sand...or escalate it for a fix?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Thaks for keeping us posted, interesting, so it sounds it's not the side window or door seal....though that's where it seems to come from. You'd think there'd be a way to pack removable seal or something in the gap IF noise is gone when taped there. Interesting. They say to pound sand...or escalate it for a fix?

I actually did ask if they could place some sealant in there...they balked at that since the windshield is designed that way. They didn't want to place anything in there which may create some other issue...his example...water being retained in there since now it won't be able to drain. I know this may seem like a minor issue...but for me it kind of soured my new MB experience...and believe me I reflected that sentiment on those survey's they send us.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM

2015 C300 RWD
I actually did ask if they could place some sealant in there...they balked at that since the windshield is designed that way. They didn't want to place anything in there which may create some other issue...his example...water being retained in there since now it won't be able to drain. I know this may seem like a minor issue...but for me it kind of soured my new MB experience...and believe me I reflected that sentiment on those survey's they send us.
Your $50k car has wind leak absent in a $20k car, and they balk.

When you put masking tape there, is the sound you're talking about absent?

I heard the very noticeable wind noise only at highway speeds in w205 with and without panoramic.

If so, could you put in something yourself just in the missing little gap? Maybe someone more mechanically inclined could help, but I cant imagine with it being at the top of the windshield it being an issue with drainage.

Untested idea:
Windscreen Rubber Seal Universal for Windows and Fixed Glass (Per Foot) - Weatherproofing Window Insulation Kits - Amazon.com Windscreen Rubber Seal Universal for Windows and Fixed Glass (Per Foot) - Weatherproofing Window Insulation Kits - Amazon.com

Last edited by floridadriver; 02-02-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 PM

2015 C400
Does everyone with this issue have the panoramic roof option?

I tested the fix by taping up the gap between the front windshield and the forward most piece of the glass roof with a substantial degree of success. I believe it was the culprit all along - not the door seal or wing mirror.

I feel the issue may only be present on cars with this gap between the two glass panels.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Astigmatism
Does everyone with this issue have the panoramic roof option?

I tested the fix by taping up the gap between the front windshield and the forward most piece of the glass roof with a substantial degree of success. I believe it was the culprit all along - not the door seal or wing mirror.

I feel the issue may only be present on cars with this gap between the two glass panels.
Cool tape work, had you had them change the door seal?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the wind noise is present at highway speeds in cars I've been in with or without the panoramic sunroof. Overall interior noise a bit less without the sunroof, but the wind noise at highway speed present in tier variation.

Last edited by floridadriver; 02-02-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Cool tape work, had you had them change the door seal?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the wind noise is present at highway speeds in cars I've been in with or without the panoramic sunroof. Overall interior noise a bit less without the sunroof, but the wind noise at highway speed present in tier variation.

You're correct I don't have a panoramic roof and I get the wind noise right around 45mph.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 AM

2015 C400
Cool tape work.
Not too cool but thanks, its only electrical tape! It was more to show what the quick and easy test to reduce the noise was for me. I hoping others can confirm reduced noise with the same trick? Let us know.

I'm not seeing Mercedes fix this issue under warranty. It's hard to argue that anything is wrong with the build - it's just poorly designed sadly.

I'm curious if anyone with some experience has a more permanent fix with a rubber seal or some epoxy of some kind??

Last edited by Astigmatism; 02-03-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Has anyone besides the gentleman with sunroof post tried taping themselves found the 'sources' of the wind noise? Is this an Alabama only issue? Mechanics are usually not good at diagnosing these type issues just not having enough time to test it. No doubt they're going to be slow on a warranty fix as well, but might if you can point at a specific problem spot.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:51 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by HelenR
Has anyone besides the gentleman with sunroof post tried taping themselves found the 'sources' of the wind noise? Is this an Alabama only issue? Mechanics are usually not good at diagnosing these type issues just not having enough time to test it. No doubt they're going to be slow on a warranty fix as well, but might if you can point at a specific problem spot.

The wind noise is not exclusive to sunroof...but that's how the tech narrowed down the origin of the noise...he taped around the upper portion of the windshield near the roof line (similar to the picture above)...we went for a test drive and the sound was gone.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
The wind noise is not exclusive to sunroof...but that's how the tech narrowed down the origin of the noise...he taped around the upper portion of the windshield near the roof line (similar to the picture above)...we went for a test drive and the sound was gone.
So, you are saying that MB is using poor weather stripping around the windshield or is there a design flaw? Did the tech have an opinion or a fix for the problem? Seems like this is something MB would have discovered in the wind tunnel testing.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
For what it's worth, I have become friends with my salesperson. Met her with this and we put electrical tape around windshield areas and no change in wind sound. It appeared to come from the WINDOW seals at the top. And, when open the driver or passenger window slightly, it's the exact same sound, just louder. We didn't tape the door seal area yet. Almost made me wonder if side window deflectors would resolve it. I wouldn't want to hard install one but had weather tech in channel deflectors before which looked good and helped a similar issue.

Anyone else notice this or find solution? I'd say they all have it based on the design to some level, it's just how much it may bother one driver or another, and how acute their hearing is.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by gocal73
So, you are saying that MB is using poor weather stripping around the windshield or is there a design flaw? Did the tech have an opinion or a fix for the problem? Seems like this is something MB would have discovered in the wind tunnel testing.
It's a design flaw...take a look at your windshield (bottom driver side) and follow it "all" the way up....as it goes up under the A pillar you'll notice that as it gets to the top just before the roof panel...the seal stops. I got a call from MB who states they haven't gotten any information in regards to this and as a result there's no fix.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by HelenR
For what it's worth, I have become friends with my salesperson. Met her with this and we put electrical tape around windshield areas and no change in wind sound. It appeared to come from the WINDOW seals at the top. And, when open the driver or passenger window slightly, it's the exact same sound, just louder. We didn't tape the door seal area yet. Almost made me wonder if side window deflectors would resolve it. I wouldn't want to hard install one but had weather tech in channel deflectors before which looked good and helped a similar issue.

Anyone else notice this or find solution? I'd say they all have it based on the design to some level, it's just how much it may bother one driver or another, and how acute their hearing is.
I've had doors seals/window seals replaced and it did not fix the problem. If they don't know exactly where to tape the windshield it's not going to fix it. You are correct in that the "sound/noise" comes from the door...but the wind is coming into through the upper portion of the windshield.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM

2015 C300 RWD
I've had doors seals/window seals replaced and it did not fix the problem. If they don't know exactly where to tape the windshield it's not going to fix it. You are correct in that the "sound/noise" comes from the door...but the wind is coming into through the upper portion of the windshield.
I wouldn't count on MB to do much (though they should IMO). Warranty service must be very tired of this cars build issues, much less ones present on every car. We're you able to tape it and reproduce their fix? If so, if can post a couple pics it would be helpful to come up with solution on our own.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM

C400
No fix from MB. They had a hard time even replicating the noise, and said it's normal.
Admittedly, it's not terrible, just surprising that there's any wind noise on this car.
Yes: I have the pano roof, but it sounds like others here do not.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My C300, with the Pano roof, is virtually free of wind noise. I have heard some wind at high speeds in heavy cross winds, but normally there's no wind noise at all. I don't think it's in the design of the car, and I haven't seen many complaints coming in from other parts of the world. My own guess is that it's another QC issue that's more common at the Alabama plant.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
My C class still is being built. But to find the source of wind noise like people have described shouldn't require a mechanic. Just a roll of blue painters tape and some time to tape up areas you think it is, and then take a drive. if wind is gone, start removing pieces until you have your source. Once isolated, easier to fix yourself or get the dealer to replace seal, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wind noise in C400