C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wind noise in C400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
As I posted on similar thread I had the window runs and both door seals replaced and got a good 80% improvement. I had prior tried having mirrors removed and realigned without help. There's 2 door seals easily replaceable each side and the window run. I had luck when they did them.

Other people rode in my car before and after and say they don't really hear it. I think it's subjective. And some as StanNH relorts only in crosswind...here in FL when at the coast, it's almost always a good crosswind sea breeze so I think there if sensitive to wind noise, the C would need some more work than some areas with less consistent cross winds. The door seals will probably be revamped in years ahead. To compete with quieter (and much less expensive) cars, they'll have to.m for now, I'd insist the dealer change the 6 parts as nothing to lose and helped my case a lot. A mm or 2 seems make the difference as its so focal to the top front driver and passenger window/door. My original seals worsened quickly with time and temp changes.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by metrathon
I feel really sorry for the OP, most probably there's no solution for this problem. The main thing is that wind & tire noise perception is very subjective, so there's really not much to "fix".

Take your service advisor for example. He might be driving a $30k car, an Accord, Nissan, Toyota, something in that range. Those are pretty noisy cars. And you pop up, telling him your $55k Benz is noisy This is a very subjective experience and for him, your Benz, might be tomb-like.

I've been through this again and again. When I had the 5 Series, I thought, wow, what a quiet car. Anyone asking me, I would have sweared how quiet the 5 is. Then I got the 7 and "quiet" took a whole other dimension. All of a sudden, the 5 became pretty noisy.
Then I got the A4 and that seemed to me a very noisy car. Then I got the 328i and for two years I thought the windows don't close - can't wait to get rid of it. Then I got the Lexus and FINALLY the serenity came back, of course, at the expense of sportivity.

Long story short, it depends on what you're used to. After the 7 Series and the Lexus, everything sounds like an '83 Civic to me. There's no going back.

One more thing - like Jobs used to say. If you think C Class is noisy, well, then go and have a look at the 40+ pages thread on the 3 Series forum, all about wind and tire noise. That might give you some perspective.
Well I don't know how "subjective" this is...especially when the service tech can hear it and replaced door seals; window seals...and yet the sound is still there. I would guess that for most with this issue...the wind noise is clear and distinguishable...the only ones who may not hear it are those who don't have the problem...or may have a hearing defect...
Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 EQS 580 Nautical Blue Macchiato interior.
Interesting commentary on the hearing. I hear the wind noise in both sides of my C400 as the driver and my wife with most excellent hearing does also. I just started wearing hearing aids and when I wear them, , I really hear the noise. Difference is quite marked with aids. So, I guess I can drive the car sans BH, and no aids as a strategy. Positively speaking, I really do enjoy driving this car even with the 19" AMGs on our New England potholes. Becomes a game to see how many I can avoid in any given drive. Scheduling appt. with my service Manager, but will speak with him first to gauge his experience with this problem. Other than replacing all of the different seals, it does sound like a heuristic approach to problem solving.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
So I noted wind noise in my s205 today while dropping my other half off at the airport. Almost smack on 80mph+ was soft wind noise with a little whisper noise now and then also. Similar to what I hear in cross winds. The moment I drop down to about 70/75mph the noise gets much less. At 65/70mph there's no wind noise at all.

I suppose at that speed, some wind noise is to be expected. Its a touch less than the other 4 seat/normal car we have (Toyota) but perhaps my frame-less door BMW Z4 is the quietest in wind noise of the bunch. Having said that, at 80mph+ in the Z4, tyre noise is very loud so you can't hear much anything else anyhow.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 04-24-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 AM

2022 EQS 580 Nautical Blue Macchiato interior.
Wind noise in C400

Spoke with service manager on wind noise & MB-Tex issues. Said he hasn't much experience with wind noise on the 2015 C class!! H-m-m-m?!
Also, he indicated that my VIN # shows no TSB for the bleeding MB-Tex. first time I had heard that Mercedes has identified the likely candidates?! Don't know this individual, but there are three dealerships (Mercedes) in the Boston area by this owner. I will take car in for service manager to hear the noise as it needs addressing....build date on my C400 is mid November.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
One month in on my C300 and no abnormal wind noise that I can determine. My daily commute is 80 miles round trip with speeds varying from traffic crawl to 80 MPH.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205 C250 Sport prem+ Airmatic / E220 CDI Coupe / Lexus RX400h
Loaner without noise

I was given a loaner c220 Sport estate with pano roof. No wind noise @ 80 mph, well ordinary wind noise but it didn't sound like the window was open like my own car does. I've spoken to the dealer again and they say I'm not the only one complaining and that MB are looking into the problem. I don't know if this is just the dealer fobbing me off though! The dealer has apparently tried tape on the seals around the top of the front doors and lubricant, both work for a short while and then either the tape falls off or the lube dries out and the wind noise returns. So there is definitely a problem here and it's not just subjective.

I've added a photo showing a line of dirt on the door frame following a long drive on poor weather. I think it's interesting that the dirt seems to get sucked between the a-pillar and door frame exactly where the wind noise from within the cabin can be heard.

Last edited by JurassicPark; 05-06-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-06-2015, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by JurassicPark
I was given a loaner c220 Sport estate with pano roof. No wind noise @ 80 mph, well ordinary wind noise but it didn't sound like the window was open...
I'd say this is like mine. At 80mph I can hear wind noise, all around the car, but not one specific place like the top of the door/seals. It is interesting where that muck is at the top. I've checked all my seals anyhow and they're spot on.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:57 AM

c300
Mercedes says officially there is no fix in the works for new C class noise

I spoke to Mercedes Benz USA and they said there is no campaign to recall the new C class for wind noise. Nothing is planned. They wrote to the dealer and the dealer said their official statement is that there is no problem with wind noise for the 2015 C class and there will be no fix.

It is in incomprehensible and will be returning my car and demanding a refund. My attorney is looking into a class action lawsuit. Denying this wind noise is not real and way above normal will be fully investigated.

The advertisements and marketing is selling the C class as the quietest car on the road. The decibels measured by my dealer on the highway are the highest for any car on the road and this will be made public soon.

I hope Mercedes finds a way to fix this soon. Many people have been duped.

Last edited by rex5; 05-09-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Give 'em hell rex5!

It's customers like you who help identify known issues and force large corporations to address them.

I for one will be taking an extensive test drive when my ordered 2015 C300 sport comes in before signing the papers.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by rex5
I spoke to Mercedes Benz USA and they said there is no campaign to recall the new C class for wind noise. Nothing is planned. They wrote to the dealer and the dealer said their official statement is that there is no problem with wind noise for the 2015 C class and there will be no fix.

It is in incomprehensible and will be returning my car and demanding a refund. My attorney is looking into a class action lawsuit. Denying this wind noise is not real and way above normal will be fully investigated.

The advertisements and marketing is selling the C class as the quietest car on the road. The decibels measured by my dealer on the highway are the highest for any car on the road and this will be made public soon.

I hope Mercedes finds a way to fix this soon. Many people have been duped.
SOME people don't hear it, and some Mercedes drivers don't have young ears, it's the loudest wind leak I've ever heard in a car that's otherwise pretty quiet. We measured peak 85db in crosswind by driver ear. A level that OSHA recommends ear muffs to prevent permanent hearing damage.

Insist your dealer change both door seals and window seals on each front side. Someone else on the forum tried and helped, and then my dealer did after an long discussion and it helped mine too, it's half as wind leaky, 77db peak with wind. The service guy reluctant to admit, much better and originally said was normal and "part of the design of the car". Try a different dealer if they're not willing to help, some dealers are lazy and pompous and would tell you that a Mercedes on fire in front of them 'is normal'. MBUSA is powerless, but worth repetitive complaints and helped me after a half dozen calls by preapproving the parts changes.

A better fix is needed. May be like the last C class and not be covered under warranty when they came out with 'modified side mirrors' or allowing USA dealers to stock the acoustic glass which available in Europe and would help a lot.

It's somewhat my fault I didn't drive my car in crosswind, though I'm also certain it becomes worse with time, so when you test it, you can't tell. And mine was ordered, so the model at dealer test wasn't the same. Good luck.

Last edited by kellens; 05-09-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by ranord
Also, he indicated that my VIN # shows no TSB for the bleeding MB-Tex. first time I had heard that Mercedes has identified the likely candidates?! .... build date on my C400 is mid November.
MB-Tex was changed as of 1/5/15 production. Your 11/14 production car is covered by the TSB and should have the seat covers and headrests replaced. You won't notice any issues until the temperatures drop below freezing again.

Surprise ... your dealer is wrong.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM

Mercedes Benz C400
Any luck?

So I have had my car in twice for service. Both times for wind noise. Both times they agreed that they heard wind noise and both times they replaced the top quarter panel on my c400. I have complained to Mercedes corporate. All that happens is a lady named Susan emails or calls and she is very pleasant but useless. Dealer never acknowledges wind noise to be a known issue. Does not surprise me since I have been two two dealerships and the second had no idea I had even visited the first. Its very frustrating and I agree with another writer that I regret my purchase. The styling and the handling is great but the noise is such a nuisance especially when your job requires that you drive a lot like I do. Instead of relaxing in a brand new car I get irritated.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Brought my C300 in for wind noise a couple weeks ago. I got it back without a thing being done, even though the dealership admits this is a problem and I'm far from he first to complain about it. They said there is simply no fix that MBUSA will pay for and I need to talk to them.

So, I call MBUSA and after a few days I get a case manager. He tells me that the wind noise is present in all W205's and that it is a "design characteristic". I told him that it is not present in all W205's and therefore something can be done about it. He said there is no fix and that I was mistaken as he drives a C300 and his also has wind noise and MB says it is normal for the W205. So, I asked if MB is admitting to a design flaw? He said, absolutely not! It's a "design characteristic". I couldn't help but laugh. I asked to talk to someone else who might make more sense of this for me. He said there was no one above him for me to talk to.
The wind noise bugs the hell out of me and makes me really regret buying this car. What is worse though is being lied to by MBUSA. Do they really think calling this flaw a "design characteristic" somehow makes it alright? How cynical can you get? To be honest, I've never dealt with a car company with such a crappy attitude toward customer service. Seriously. These guys are the worst. I hope somebody successfully sues these jerks.

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. Is there anyone working for Mercedes-Benz who actually gives a sh*t? If you know who this person is, please let me know.

If MB won't fix my car, then I will need to be compensated somehow. I'm thinking keeping others from being cheated by MBUSA would be a good start. My goal is to make sure none of my family, friends, acquaintances or strangers I cross paths with ever buys a Mercedes. I'm off to a good start. Had a couple in the market for one ask how I like my C300. I told them it's great if you don't mind a misaligned bumper, seats that could bleed and wind noise that makes it sound like the window is cracked open when it isn't. The C300 came off their list. It's a start.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM

c300
Originally Posted by gocal73
Brought my C300 in for wind noise a couple weeks ago. I got it back without a thing being done, even though the dealership admits this is a problem and I'm far from he first to complain about it. They said there is simply no fix that MBUSA will pay for and I need to talk to them.

So, I call MBUSA and after a few days I get a case manager. He tells me that the wind noise is present in all W205's and that it is a "design characteristic". I told him that it is not present in all W205's and therefore something can be done about it. He said there is no fix and that I was mistaken as he drives a C300 and his also has wind noise and MB says it is normal for the W205. So, I asked if MB is admitting to a design flaw? He said, absolutely not! It's a "design characteristic". I couldn't help but laugh. I asked to talk to someone else who might make more sense of this for me. He said there was no one above him for me to talk to.
The wind noise bugs the hell out of me and makes me really regret buying this car. What is worse though is being lied to by MBUSA. Do they really think calling this flaw a "design characteristic" somehow makes it alright? How cynical can you get? To be honest, I've never dealt with a car company with such a crappy attitude toward customer service. Seriously. These guys are the worst. I hope somebody successfully sues these jerks.

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. Is there anyone working for Mercedes-Benz who actually gives a sh*t? If you know who this person is, please let me know.

If MB won't fix my car, then I will need to be compensated somehow. I'm thinking keeping others from being cheated by MBUSA would be a good start. My goal is to make sure none of my family, friends, acquaintances or strangers I cross paths with ever buys a Mercedes. I'm off to a good start. Had a couple in the market for one ask how I like my C300. I told them it's great if you don't mind a misaligned bumper, seats that could bleed and wind noise that makes it sound like the window is cracked open when it isn't. The C300 came off their list. It's a start.
Every time people ask me how is your new car. I just said Its sucks !!

What I been told exactly is "its all design features" including wind noise, clicking noise from engine department misaligned bumper.... There is no fix for them.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
My second car delivered yesterday and less noise than the first, but still unacceptable. Bumper is much improved. Not to Hyindai standards even, but better.

For those that didn't read my saga. I ordered one, took a ride with sales manager who has since become a friend. I refused the car and they returned it to Vance for faulty wind noise and bumper. They ordered RWD replacement with no deposit.

They really went to bat for me and had MBUSA override and order acoustic glass from Germany. This isn't an available option in USA, but is identical part they can drop in. It has DOT stamp and is legal. Just a pain for MB. But my dealer said they will stop buying c class if MB doesn't help find a fix, they hear many complaints of the wind noise in the 2015 c300/400. It will be here in a couple weeks. If improved enough, I'll buy it!

I'd reccomed anyone with issue to get acoustic glass sent. You'll get many " No, can't do that" answers before a yes. A yes is possible. I'm proof.

If you already have the car you'll have to pay for the acoustic front side glass. It's about $140/side. My dealer rolling mine into the deal and determined to help the issue.

In my other cars with wind rush from large mirrors, it was a huge help. I'm optimistic help it will here.

Last edited by HelenR; 05-15-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by HelenR
My second car delivered yesterday and less noise than the first, but still unacceptable. Bumper is much improved. Not to Hyindai standards even, but better.

For those that didn't read my saga. I ordered one, took a ride with sales manager who has since become a friend. I refused the car and they returned it to Vance for faulty wind noise and bumper. They ordered RWD replacement with no deposit.

They really went to bat for me and had MBUSA override and order acoustic glass from Germany. This isn't an available option in USA, but is identical part they can drop in. It has DOT stamp and is legal. Just a pain for MB. But my dealer said they will stop buying c class if MB doesn't help find a fix, they hear many complaints of the wind noise in the 2015 c300/400. It will be here in a couple weeks. If improved enough, I'll buy it!

I'd reccomed anyone with issue to get acoustic glass sent. You'll get many " No, can't do that" answers before a yes. A yes is possible. I'm proof.

If you already have the car you'll have to pay for the acoustic front side glass. It's about $140/side. My dealer rolling mine into the deal and determined to help the issue.

In my other cars with wind rush from large mirrors, it was a huge help. I'm optimistic help it will here.
In another thread you suggested there there are new seals too, any details?
Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 AM

c300

Maybe I spoke to that same case manager for the west coast. He claimed he drives the C300 and doesn't have any wind noise. He also said he hasn't heard of any other complaints before mine. Likely he doesn't even own a Mercedes. Denial only goes so far. The decibels measured by my dealer on the highway are off the charts and higher for ANY CAR on the road. One friend who bought the car for his wife is a federal prosecutor and is putting together the paperwork for a class action lawsuit. Maybe that will get some attention. Car of the year must have been based on the design not the actual driving experience. It really is a striking design. Believing the wind noise is normal is one thing but actually telling owners it is normal is another. Noise at decibels which can cause hearing loss is not normal for any car make or model in the USA and I suspect this will not turn out well for Mercedes.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I collect s205 on monday and am concerned about this issue. from reading the thread though i am a little unsure as to what wind noise is really being complained about. Some posters do talk about a noise as if the window is open, others just of general wind noise. On the test drive of 3 cars i felt the car was overall noisier than my glk......my husband felt it was quieter. In reality the noise it generates is just in a different specturm, i felt it sounded lighter or tinnier with more road and tyre roar. For my husband it was finally a mercedes which did not thump and bump over over irregularity in the road surface which for him personally he likens to being hit over the head with a hammer....really! He hated with a vengence our s211 e class estate calling it the worst car he had ever owned for noise and the glk although improved still provokes scathing comments from him. I find the glk very good albeit at 130km on a windy day you are aware of general wind noise.

The sound measurements quoted in the forum are sadly meaningless using smartphone apps does not give accurate sound readings, all measurements have to be taken 1m from the source for example so a measurement adjacent to the apparent source is not a true comparison with say levels quoted in regulations.

If it is a matter of noise caused by air entering a small gap it must be capabale of being fixed, if it is more that it is the movement of the car through the air a charateristic of its shape etc and the fact that other noises are no longer audible then it is a design issue and the decision is what type of noise you can live with in a car. I for one detest the raucous sound created by ferrari etc, personally i can see no attraction listenIng to what to me sounds like a whining engine about to blow up....... for others they love it.....so it is a simple subjective choice.

Just one little point about noise, the lower the ambient noise level the louder other sounds can appear, at night for example people talking in a street sound louder than in the day.

Will update my experiences once i have my car however i would urge readers of this forum researching the car to try it for themselves and not discount it based on the reported experiences here......there seems to be a lot of subjectivity amongst the complaints as well as some cars do have seal issues. Ask my husband about noise in a 211 e class and he would condem the car, ask me and i felt it was better than average though not perfect and i would hope could be improved. The reality of course is that you can never escape noise in a car even an electric one!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Just a side note: anyone looking specifically for wind noise should have the climate control off so there is no air circulation through the vents. The interior air flow can get loud when the fan is on its higher levels, and this can sound like wind noise.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by StanNH
Just a side note: anyone looking specifically for wind noise should have the climate control off so there is no air circulation through the vents. The interior air flow can get loud when the fan is on its higher levels, and this can sound like wind noise.
That's very true. My wife and I were talking about the wind noise complaints while I was driving. She said she heard wind noise on her side. I saw her make sure her window was closed. I didn't hear anything on the drivers side. I could, however, hear the noise generated by the climate control fan. I turned the fan off and what she was hearing was gone. Our car is very quiet, so any interior noise is more noticeable.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Actually most ideal is to turn on manually to low, and "recirculate", which will close the inlet.

This sound is very discrete, in top front of window if one has it, and honestly, a good number of people just won't hear it. And if you don't and it doesn't bother you, definitely don't sweat it!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by HelenR

Have you received your car yet? Does the acoustic glass help?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by rex5
Maybe I spoke to that same case manager for the west coast. He claimed he drives the C300 and doesn't have any wind noise. He also said he hasn't heard of any other complaints before mine. Likely he doesn't even own a Mercedes. Denial only goes so far. The decibels measured by my dealer on the highway are off the charts and higher for ANY CAR on the road. One friend who bought the car for his wife is a federal prosecutor and is putting together the paperwork for a class action lawsuit. Maybe that will get some attention. Car of the year must have been based on the design not the actual driving experience. It really is a striking design. Believing the wind noise is normal is one thing but actually telling owners it is normal is another. Noise at decibels which can cause hearing loss is not normal for any car make or model in the USA and I suspect this will not turn out well for Mercedes.
Any progress with the class action suit? Whay can't Mercedes just man-up and fix the wind noise?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Have you received your car yet? Does the acoustic glass help?
The glass is still on the way. Sent via container ship Im guessing. It's free though, courtesy of MB. If it doesn't help remarkably, no way I'd get this car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wind noise in C400