C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Acoustic Glass - First impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Acoustic Glass - First impressions

Outside the Pre-production test cars, my car is probably one of the first assembled with the Acoustic Glass option. (Windsheld and the two front side windows)

It became available in Europe for cars assembled after dec. 1st. 2014.

There has been a lot of questions for his option so here is my first impressions.

NB: I will try to get some photos later. At the moment it is raining all the time and it is dark outside working hours.

The Laminated Acoustic side windows are made by Pilkington. The windshield is not from Pilkington, I cant really see any manufacturer name outside MB. (I'll check this further at some later time)

So far, I have to say that i am quite impressed. This car has easily the most quite cabin, of any car I have previously owned. The sound of the engine is still there. (I imagine not different from cars with normal Glass)

From the MB info, the Acoustic glass option is designed to reduce wind noise at the relevant frequency for this type of noise. This is I am sure, far from the lower sound frequency of the engine.

Probably the best example i can give, is from driving in the rain. Here the sound of water passing through the tires, come across much more clearly, then wind noise.

Usually i find wind noise filters out some or most of the tire noise. In this car, you clearly hear the tire noise isolated.

But only in the wet. In the dry there is not much noise at all, other then the dampend engine noise and a slight wind noise, which by the way, appears to come from "further away" then usual from my left ear (I drive a left hand drive car)

All the above is just based on my car. The test cars i drove, with normal glass also seemed very quiet, so I am not saying in any way that normal glass is not enough to satisfy most owners.

So in conclusion, I am happy with getting this option. The car is very relaxing and pleasantly quiet to drive. If you are the type (like me) who can easily get annoyed with wind noise, then this is an option worth getting. If nothing else, then to reduce a potential annoyance.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Great review, thanks! The acoustic glass is not very much more expensive from suppliers, maybe $30/window, and included standard or many more basic cars in U.S., unsure why Mercedes didn't include it standard or have it as an option. It cuts the noise right around 1k-4k Hz. Where wind is.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
From what i know, acoustic glass can make your car delayed for weeks. I had also as option but after that information i decided not to take it.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 AM

W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
Thanks for the review. I have also ordered my car with this option and I can't wait to test it myself

No information regarding a potential delay due to that option but I will report in case it will happen. I do expect my car in feb .

Regards
Amo
Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM

A180 / On order S205
I had no idea about this option, but I will have this added to my order cause I dont think it is locked in yet .

Would greatly appreciate more peoples thoughts on this.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:01 PM

A180 / On order S205
Do you have the specific code used by the dealer for the accoustic glass?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:51 PM

S205
it is SA code 851.

If you also ordered SA code 463 (HUD) option 851 should cost about 1/3 less. But then this combination might only be available from Q1 2015.

Edit: Head Up Display - HUD

Last edited by Eilers; 12-21-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:52 PM

A180 / On order S205
Thank you! What do you mean by HUD?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Eilers
it is SA code 851.

If you also ordered SA code 463 (HUD) option 851 should cost about 1/3 less. But then this combination might only be available from Q1 2015.

Edit: Head Up Display - HUD

Any updates from folks with the acoustic glass on their car? Worth the upgrade? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Sadly still not an option in the UK
Old 03-03-2015, 04:39 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Nor here. The car is kinda loud. It needs it.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
If my understanding is correct, HUD uses an acoustic glass windscreen. So you get that with this option, although the sides are not acoustic.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
If my understanding is correct, HUD uses an acoustic glass windscreen. So you get that with this option, although the sides are not acoustic.
The windscreen in all the models is acoustic, with the HUD, it has an additional glaze.

In some regions (not USA where MBUSA elected not to give this option at all), side windows of acoustic glass are a very inexpensive option, and even less expensive if packaged with the HUD. The side glass with acoustic makes a 10db difference...huge. That said, the W205 has an increasingly documented issue with wind noise near mirror, window/door seal which has yet to be addressed which unlikely completely accounted for with this glass. Also worth noting, many US cars now come standard with acoustic side glass....even the $20k ones...this isn't a US-DOT issue.

Worth noting, the first car reviews with this car in Europe had acoustic side glass for driver and passenger window, you know, the reviews where they mentioned how little wind noise there is in the car.

I'm unsure if the thickness is the same, that if you can get the acoustic it's a matter of ordering and changing out the windows. One can HOPE that MBUSA would change their ways and allow acoustic glass to be added to new builds, and retrofit. (obviously not under warranty...this would be all aftermarket)

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-03-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by floridadriver
The windscreen in all the models is acoustic, with the HUD, it has an additional glaze.

In some regions (not USA where MBUSA elected not to give this option at all), side windows of acoustic glass are a very inexpensive option, and even less expensive if packaged with the HUD. The side glass with acoustic makes a 10db difference...huge. That said, the W205 has an increasingly documented issue with wind noise near mirror, window/door seal which has yet to be addressed which unlikely completely accounted for with this glass. Also worth noting, many US cars now come standard with acoustic side glass....even the $20k ones...this isn't a US-DOT issue.

Worth noting, the first car reviews with this car in Europe had acoustic side glass for driver and passenger window, you know, the reviews where they mentioned how little wind noise there is in the car.

I'm unsure if the thickness is the same, that if you can get the acoustic it's a matter of ordering and changing out the windows. One can HOPE that MBUSA would change their ways and allow acoustic glass to be added to new builds, and retrofit. (obviously not under warranty...this would be all aftermarket)
Thanks for the clarification. I'm probably wrong in my original comment.

However I remember reading (on here I think) that the HUD gives the front screen the acoustic screen and then if you wanted acoustic for the sides too then this is at a reduced cost as you're effectively charged for the side glass only. Again, I'm no expert so I may be wrong...

Edit: it was actually this thread that mentioned the cost reduction. See post 7. The reasoning for the reduction was explained elsewhere as being due to HUD using acoustic on the front...

Last edited by Mr Enigma; 03-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Thanks for the clarification. I'm probably wrong in my original comment.

However I remember reading (on here I think) that the HUD gives the front screen the acoustic screen and then if you wanted acoustic for the sides too then this is at a reduced cost as you're effectively charged for the side glass only. Again, I'm no expert so I may be wrong...
No worries, it's kinda confusing for sure. I only got the info thanks to google translate and searching on the German and other EU Mercedes sites and building as though I was there. No secret that the car is packaged and priced amazingly different for different markets.

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-04-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Nuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c250
How do you tell if your car is fitted with Acoustic Glass?
My C250 is fitted with the HUD option.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Nuk
How do you tell if your car is fitted with Acoustic Glass?
My C250 is fitted with the HUD option.

Check your datacard for SA code 851
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Nuk

c250
Originally Posted by vic viper
Check your datacard for SA code 851
As my car is an Estate (S205) it is Germany built is the code the same?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM

2015 C300 RWD
I believe it's same code wherever you're able to order this option. Acoustic glass also usually has a small notch on the top as opposed to being rounded. It may also state in the corner that is is laminated AG, or similar in the stamp.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM

'15 E400 Sedan '08 BMW 335i Coupe
Have Acoustic Laminated Glass on the new E Sedan - a $300 option plus the $250 SPC adder.

My understanding is that this glass is much different than the safety rated laminated glass used in the windscreens. Have read claims of a 10 dB reduction in wind noise - and from seat-of-the-pants (ear) experience - it might be possible. The wind noise level with the laminated side glass seems much lower from my limited comparison driving.

However (and as expected) - the laminated glass side windows seem to have little or no impact on road noise transmitted through the tires/chassis or on contact noise radiating through the fender wells.

Have read that the MBZ acoustic laminated glass is 6 mm thick vs 5 mm for standard side window glass - have yet to measure it. And aside from the markings - the laminated glass is easily identifiable by looking at the edge of an open window - you can clearly see and feel the two glass layers sandwiching the transparent acoustic center material.

Would I recommend the option if available - certainly. Anything we can do to improve cabin noise is a plus.

J.

Last edited by J.Raymond; 03-04-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
It bugs me that this is available in Ireland, right next door, yet in the UK not a chance. Why not for gods sake, the UK is a noisy place with crowded cities!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
I'm bummed my car came with noise on first drive before signing the dotted line, so I refused it, and dealer returning it. Hopes were high, but another on order if they fix it from there to here. I have other cars, so that's not the issue. That would be interesting if the acoustic glass made a difference on the sounds we're complaining of at the upper front corners of both front seats. Interesting if the 1mm difference with the same seals would explain a difference as well! Either way, a broken design at this point for those of use with wrong seals or glass options, or whatever the issue is. I don't think anyone knows.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given up on a S205 and ordered a S212
It bugs me that this is available in Ireland, right next door, yet in the UK not a chance. Why not for gods sake, the UK is a noisy place with crowded cities!
You can buy a RHD Exclusive too, but no traditional grill for the UK. Or how about AMG exterior with Avantgarde/UK sport interior in silk beige! I'd order that in a shot!

http://usedcars.mercedes-benz.ie/use...4224595873950/

Call 01 6656613 @ MSL Ballsbridge Motors. AMG Styling Pack, AMG 18inch Alloy Wheels, Avantgarde Interior Pack, Beige Artico Leather, Reversing Camera, Multi function steering wheel, Mercedes Me, Metallic paintwork, Isofix child seat anchor points, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Electrically adjustable seats, Climate Control, Cruise control, Automatic, Bluetooth, 3 Year Service Aggrement.
The following users liked this post:
galileopan (05-09-2016)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 AM

Jaguar XF
acoustic glass

I am in the UK, but have looked on Mercedes Ireland web site, where I have been unable to find anything about acoustic glass.

I have enquired to Mercedes Benz UK, but been unable to get any information from them.

Does anyone know if it can be had on a UK new C class?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:24 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Can someone with acoustic front side glass on the c class please take and post a picture of the glass overhead from the top with window mostly down? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acoustic Glass - First impressions