C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Posting after weeks of reading. Buying a C class!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Posting after weeks of reading. Buying a C class!

I've tried to learn as much as I can reading. I will custom order next week if I go C class. My alternate is a Lexus GS. Some of the threads here are informative. I've narrowed choices after some test drives. This car will replace my Lexus ES. I also have a Ferrari that my dad restored for when feeling like a sporty lady. The Lexus has been outstanding. But it's a bit large for just me. And something more engaging. I am only 35 y/o after all. The C class and the GS would fill this perfectly. Either I would order in rear wheel drive only.

My issue, I cannot find a dealer with an air suspension and the softer steel, or the softer one and the medium one to compare. I can't find leather or HUD or the driver assistance. Frustrating. Plenty of grey 300s and 400s optioned about the same basic way.

The car oozes class, and the sport package puts a damper on that to emulate a little youth. The C400 to me felt a heavy weight was sitting on the hood, I echo the personal opinions favoring the C300 and my dealer said the 400 is being discontinued. It leaves my dilemma. How can I decide on standard, comfort and air, when I cannot test them without going to different far away dealers and different test drives?

The GS would be more reliable. But wonder if the right suspension in the C class would be my fav. enough to justify some of the poor reliability and as I read here and other forums, the spotty workmanship. Has anyone COMPARED and recently shopped the C class on softer or air suspension AND the GS350? Where would these suspensions sit compared to my current ES?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I placed my order the end of October and the car should be delivered on Feb 1st, so plan accordingly. It's been a long wait for me!

Consider the 4Matic...I will probably never take it to snow country, but the added traction while driving in rain makes it a great choice for me. I love stopping at a stop sign, with an inch of water on the road, cranking the wheel to the right and stomping on the gas...all without slippage!

I considered a GS, but I'm bored with Lexus. We've had 3 of them (2 RX's and an ES350) and I'm ready to buy my first German car. Just wish I hadn't waited so long.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW X3
My wife has owned 4 lexus - 1 ES and 3 RX's...Very, very reliable - all of em.

she now drives an X5 35i...

the lexus is going to be generally more reliable than any of the German luxury marques.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Lexus has had it's fair share of trouble but they are generally reliable. Every one I've ever been in rattles at relatively low mileage. (Japanese build)

The more complex the car. The greater the chances of trouble.

To me the problem with Lexus, & I've pretty much driven them all, is the feeling that the thing is nothing more than a competent appliance.

They have zero soul or character. In SA you can't give them away. Their sales are shocking even though they are competitively priced & come fully loaded where the German big three make you pay for most options.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Lexus has had it's fair share of trouble but they are generally reliable. Every one I've ever been in rattles at relatively low mileage. (Japanese build)

The more complex the car. The greater the chances of trouble.

To me the problem with Lexus, & I've pretty much driven them all, is the feeling that the thing is nothing more than a competent appliance.

They have zero soul or character. In SA you can't give them away. Their sales are shocking even though they are competitively priced & come fully loaded where the German big three make you pay for most options.
Well said Glyn. After 11 years, and 3 Lexus vehicles, I think I'm done with them. Even though I've had very few problems (none with our 1 yr old RX) over the years, I'm ready for a change.

I recently rode in a 12 yr old MB S Class. It was the best riding car I've ever been in. That sold me on MB.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:22 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
THANK you ALL, good points. I agree on the appliance feeling of them. The GS less so than my ES. I really want to test the C more, and the GS is not out of the running. I have the Ferrari for fun, and there is something very sexy about reliability in my daily driver. Any other car makes I'm missing, that combine nice feel, engagement, sophistication and reliability? I know, it is almost Christmas
Old 12-25-2014, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by HelenR
THANK you ALL, good points. I agree on the appliance feeling of them. The GS less so than my ES. I really want to test the C more, and the GS is not out of the running. I have the Ferrari for fun, and there is something very sexy about reliability in my daily driver. Any other car makes I'm missing, that combine nice feel, engagement, sophistication and reliability? I know, it is almost Christmas
How about a Tesla?
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
How about a Tesla?
If we forget about Tesla catching on fire, then upcoming all wheel drive may be something to consider...
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
How about a Tesla?
Worth a look! I have to drive some long distances but will check the range.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
One has to remember that there is no "must have" in the options list, an option that someone love might not be interesting at all for someone else.
Before I recommend different systems to people at work I always ask them how they use their car, if they are driving a lot of miles on freeways they may want to consider some of the driver assistance systems, and if they live on remote hard to reach places they might need 4-matic with Airmatic and so on.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by vic viper
One has to remember that there is no "must have" in the options list, an option that someone love might not be interesting at all for someone else.
Before I recommend different systems to people at work I always ask them how they use their car, if they are driving a lot of miles on freeways they may want to consider some of the driver assistance systems, and if they live on remote hard to reach places they might need 4-matic with Airmatic and so on.
It's noted and appreciated. Your expertise is valuable for people like me looking, I've enjoyed your posts before joining, and am sure a help for owners too. Too many on forum trying to makeup for personal shortcomings, a few even completely make stuff up to make it seem they are informative, not you.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Thanks!, there are also alot of other very good and experienced users on this board, but I am sure you know them by now and also know who to take advice from.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
Mine was a choice between the Lexus IS300H and the Mercedes (C220 or E220). I did like the Lexus and being a hybrid I think it would've been better for economy. Bit miffed that we've now had a price drop for petrol but not so much for diesel.
But I'm still loving my Merc. I think its better looking than the Lexus.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I feel your frustration Helen, it's not easy to find the cars, luxury package and airmatic editions sell quickly off the lots and many of them special orders. Plus to find them to test drive on the same roads/conditions is near impossible. That said, assuming the differences are unique enough for you, you'd be able to tell the difference on a different test drive from different dealers. It sounds you're mostly in the camp of softest steel or airmatic. Two dealers for a large purchase to hit up could be worth it, your call.

For my taste on test drives, the C300 is much more engaging to drive and less 'boaty' than the ES350, and the GS somewhere in the middle. The new ES based on Avalon chassis has much more space than the C, and numbers wise the C and GS are too tight to call. Lexus will likely have the dependability, at the expense of 'excitement and cutting edge looks and tech'. Could you have it all if got the C and extended warranty?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by floridadriver
I feel your frustration Helen, it's not easy to find the cars, luxury package and airmatic editions sell quickly off the lots and many of them special orders. Plus to find them to test drive on the same roads/conditions is near impossible. That said, assuming the differences are unique enough for you, you'd be able to tell the difference on a different test drive from different dealers. It sounds you're mostly in the camp of softest steel or airmatic. Two dealers for a large purchase to hit up could be worth it, your call.

For my taste on test drives, the C300 is much more engaging to drive and less 'boaty' than the ES350, and the GS somewhere in the middle. The new ES based on Avalon chassis has much more space than the C, and numbers wise the C and GS are too tight to call. Lexus will likely have the dependability, at the expense of 'excitement and cutting edge looks and tech'. Could you have it all if got the C and extended warranty?

Thank you! I'll be at one of the dealers tomorrow (one with air suspension). I can make the decision from there if I want to try the other one. I will also ask about the extended warranty.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:31 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
I got to drive a C300 with air suspension today! I'm one excited lady how much it felt just as velvety smooth like my ES350, but much more alive and spirited. What a great system. That said. I'd ONLY leave it in comfort mode. I have a restored Ferrari and imitations at sport handling aren't want I'm looking for in my Mercedes.

The saleslady and I drove about a half hour. I couldn't find any negatives on the suspension. It was not a totally new car from the standard suspension, but different in serene way.

I must make a long trip to try the comfort suspension. Maybe this weekend. If it matched the air suspension in it's softest setting, it may be good for me. Has anyone compared these 2? Wish me luck please.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:32 PM

A180 / On order S205
I tested comfort steel suspension vs airmatic, I wrote down my experience in the airmatic thread
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by A Odman
I tested comfort steel suspension vs airmatic, I wrote down my experience in the airmatic thread
Thank you! I read your info on there, very helpful. Our desires from this car area almost identical!

I bet you're excited to get your car! They're quoting me a delivery about the first week of March if I buy in the next 5 days.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Thank you! I read your info on there, very helpful. Our desires from this car area almost identical!

I bet you're excited to get your car! They're quoting me a delivery about the first week of March if I buy in the next 5 days.
I don't envy your decision with the W205 now somewhat established as the benchmark for the compact luxury sedan segment. MB can keep the supply chain as is. This affects whats available at the dealer and in the production line so finding a production model that is still open to change that meets your core requirements will not be easy.
The USA market gets a much better build process than us folks up here in Canada. Every option is available and you can build a completely loaded up C300 as long as price is no option.
If you can wait past any dealer pressure to order now, you will have more options available in the coming months than any existing W205.
The 360 Camera should be coming soon. All the software for Command and Navigation will be updated and any tweaks to engine and suspension as well.
From what I can gather of what you are looking for you will want the Airmatic. It just gives you that luxury sedate sedan drive that non auto dampening suspension just cannot replicate. Its not just the driver that notices the difference, the passengers will love the quiet soft ride they experience in the back.
I am almost at 6,000km and cannot find any faults in any of the systems in my C300. It is a pleasure to drive such a well executed sedan.
Best of luck in your pursuit of perfection

Last edited by Leslielp; 12-27-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
It's really rather impressive how much the W205 can be altered to fit the individual needs of the buyer.

Four suspension choices, a variety of interior trim options, as well as two seat styles, leather or MB-Tex materials, several engine choices (depending on market), two sound systems, a slew of safety options, headlights and interior lighting, wheel sizes and styles, external design variations and grilles, and even odor packages. I think the only area the W205 comes up short in, as far as ordering options, is in their choice of colors. In the US anyway, that selection is very limited.

Porsche is similar, but to an even greater degree, in that you have an almost unlimited variety of ways to customize your car, But, for a "mainstream" compact sedan, MB has done a great job in giving the buyer as many options as is practically possible.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes ~ the W205 can certainly be configured to look after a broad base of cutomer preferences.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I got to drive a C300 with air suspension today! I'm one excited lady how much it felt just as velvety smooth like my ES350, but much more alive and spirited. What a great system. That said. I'd ONLY leave it in comfort mode. I have a restored Ferrari and imitations at sport handling aren't want I'm looking for in my Mercedes.

The saleslady and I drove about a half hour. I couldn't find any negatives on the suspension. It was not a totally new car from the standard suspension, but different in serene way.

I must make a long trip to try the comfort suspension. Maybe this weekend. If it matched the air suspension in it's softest setting, it may be good for me. Has anyone compared these 2? Wish me luck please.

Have to say it is pretty impressive for a car of this class to have this technology. My son and his friends get a kick out of me lowering the car at a stoplight from C to S+, I tell them to focus on a bumper or a line and then they see the car drop!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
I made my deadline by years end to order my car. Appreciate the people on here with information to share about the car and their experiences with it. I ordered a C300 with every option including the air suspension. My second choice would have been the comfort suspension. The standard wasn't a lot more rigid on road imperfections, but enough to notice, without trying to notice. I didn't try the sport as I have a sports car, and don't want a Mercedes to let me 'feel the road and carve curves'.

I'll snap some photos when it's here. I ended up over $55k for my build which will be here in about 6 weeks they say.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Congratulations and welcome as an owner to the community