C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Would you buy a W205 again?
I own one and I would buy one again.
65.79%
I own one and I would not buy one again.
9.21%
Will not buy one after reading about the problems.
7.89%
Will buy one in spite of reading about the problems.
17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Would you still buy this car again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Would you still buy this car again?

Given the fact that nearly half the members of this forum have reported some sort of an issue or issues with their cars, and the Alabama plant in the US has had its share of QC issues, how many of our forum members are sorry they bought their W205 cars?

Myself, I really like the car and think MB did a superb job in designing a very competitive compact sedan to slug it out in this hotly contested segment. I'm having second thoughts about buying a first year build, but even the many problems I've already had with my own car haven't yet convinced me that I made a mistake. My problems have been, in the overall scheme of things, minor. I had the dealer check and redo the alignment of the car and the headlights, I had a fuel filler door replaced because I was unhappy with the fit, and an outside door LED stopped working. Even with the MB-Tex issue, which is a serious cosmetic issue, nothing has interfered with my daily driving of the car. I could mention the poor rear bumper cover fit, which seems to be the standard on virtually all American built cars, but that's a purely cosmetic issue ... and an odd one at that.

So the question is ... in spite of the many issues .. small and big ... that have been discussed and/or experienced by owners of the W205, is the car good enough to keep you as a customer? I have also included questions for potential buyers of the W205 series, and how reports of known issues may have affected their purchase decisions.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-17-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C200 (Petrol) Sport Premium Plus
I've got a W205 on order which is due for delivery in May/June. I agree with Stan that the problems discussed on this forum are all minor and there's nothing that causes me to regret my decision. I do, however, have the advantage that, being in the UK, my car will be built in either Germany or South Africa which, based on the comments in this forum, seem have better quality control procedures than the Alabama plant. I've ordered leather trim so I don't have to worry about the MB Tex/Artico problems. Also by the time my car hits the assembly line they'll have been in production for a year so hopefully some of the early teething problems will have been resolved.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
I would most definitely purchase this vehicle again.
I have owned Mercedes Benz for numerous years and they have all been both fun and very safe to drive.
I admit I have had some minor problems along the way and the vehicle's have not been "perfect" but then again what is in this world.
I take comfort however in knowing that when there is a problem they look after the problem in a courteous and professional manner.
I have come to accept that nothing is perfect and at some point everything seems to break or wear out.
When it comes to judging, I tend to judge based on how the problem is dealt with.
MB has always done the right thing and has never let me down.
Perhaps I'm too easy.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM

VW Golf GTD
I was not planning on buying mine until early next year, and nothing I've read here changes that decision. Yes, the problems are annoying and the issues ought never to have arisen in the first place (notably the seats, which seems to be a supplier issue, and the rear lights, which sounds like a quality control thing), but it's not like engines are going bang and gearboxes are dropping gears on to people's driveways.

Despite the problems, the new C Class is still a mighty fine automobile, both inside and out, and I look forward to eventually getting mine. There is no other car that appeals quite so much (but I am keeping an eye out for what the new Alfa is like when it is revealed later this year).

The key thing for me is how problems are dealt with by dealers and the manufacturers. Compared to some of my experiences in the past (BMW/Mini), MB USA don't seem to be doing that badly - they seem to have acted reasonably quickly in sorting out replacement kits for the seat issue, for example. I may forget the issues, but I usually remember what the customer experience was like for a long time afterwards.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 AM

C200 AMG Line Premium Plus
I'm just coming to the end of my first month of ownership. I'm in the UK and have a South African built C200 AMG Line with the Premium Plus package.

No problems to report. I've been inspecting my Artico (I believe its the European equivalent to MBTEX) seat covering during some recent cold weather and have seen no issues.

I have a couple of niggles with the car, which are fairly minor:

- I have a rattle from the sunroof.
- the automatic stop/go system is far too aggressive, cutting the engine again and again, even after moving only a foot or two in traffic.
- you have to lift the bonnet (hood) of the car to properly access and clean the windscreen wipers!

If these are the only things I encounter, then I'll be more than happy. The car is bedding in nicely and the engine is becoming quieter and smoother with every passing mile.

I was an early buyer of the Lexus IS250 some years ago. I had more, immediate issues with that car, including a complete power steering failure which almost locked up the steering completely.

Early days I know but so far I'm more than pleased.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:50 AM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
I have a few issues with defects on top of the seat problem. As others have said, I think my opinion will ultimately be based on how well, and in what manner, all of these issues get resolved. This probably goes for any future car purchases with the brand as a whole as well.

The car, as it's "supposed" to be is still fantastic.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I have a C300 on order and I cannot WAIT to get it. I love MB and will deal with anything that comes along as part and parcel of driving a first model year car. People who want to "go to the media" about the seats are laughable considering the more dangerous defects we've seen in recent years from Lexus (the floor mat fiasco) Toyota, Nissans airbag fiasco, etc.

BTW, I also own and love a BMW Z3, a car that prompted a class action lawsuit against BMW for trunk floor failures because BMW was denying responsibility. Oh yeah and never mind the first year e46 M3 engines that were prone to blowing up. Kinda puts this whole MB seat thing into perspective.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:26 PM

2017 E300, 2019 CLS 450
I have the C300 w sportline since Nov 2014 but haven't driven that much. This car is my first time purchase MB car.
I had some kinda higher expectation of new c series but had some issues with touch pad, Audio 20, chemical ordor (which is big problem for me), and other cosmetic issues.

This car is still beatiful, well designed and driving nicely..but not built well. All the issues that I experience is hoping fixed to the next genration.

hmm..Do I want to buy it again? Yes probably if I can buy it with air balance.lol.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Well I have watched this forum go from giddy excitement and anticipation. To folks measuring millimeter alignment issues, the more bothersome MTek seat leaks and the more dangerous power steering and tire issues.

I would definitely buy this car again.

A lot profess that this is there first MB and that they were expecting a perfect car based on some great marketing by Mercedes if this is an actual general market expectation.

In truth, this is an entry level compact luxury sedan from a German company. You can get similar equipped vehicles from the Asian and North American market at a much lower price point. In MBs two to three times the price of a loaded W205 there are some issues if you read the posts. I don't think you will find perfection in any brand.

I don't recall so many issues with my other MB's on this website. My GLK was first production as well as the 2012 W204, it had just received an extensive upgrade so in many ways it was more of a W204B.

The W205 is built in the USA compared to my previous German builds, so I am guessing that there is something to that. Many on here have commented on the reasons that this is so.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
Honestly, I had a much better experience with my former GS300 and my BMW X5. I liked the styling of this car but have found it to be a downgrade in several respects above the issues that have been mentioned above. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and take a look closer once I have my car back but ultimately what will matter is how I am treated on my issues (given that they have had the car longer in the shop than I've had it). But one example is the Burmester sound (perhaps I have to fidget with it) doesn't sound good to my ear. I have a musical background in a former life, spent tons of time recording studios, and have a very decent midrange surround sound system at home. The burmester system actually colors the sound a lot and is not transparent. As an upgrade I find it lacking and think the standard speakers on my old GS300 sounded better. Heck my B&W ear plugs that were $180 bucks sound a lot better. That's just one example but I digress. I'll be able to judge the car better once the weather is better and I actually have my car back (which is now looking like March). Sweet........
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM

2010 BMW X5
yes. as i am considering a second year production run (c450) im hoping most of these issues will be resolved.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 PM

2015 C400
The bleeding seats is a big deal. Everything else is trivial when compared with how superb the car is. My C400 is wicked fast and the interior design is so far ahead of the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 that it's laughable. The outside is also simply stunning. The chrome accents are so very sophisticated and classy. The car combines sport and luxury better than anything in the compact sport sedan segment. No contest. Yes, I'd buy again. But man I hope my seats don't bleed. ; )
Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So far, about 90% of owners would stick with the W205 in spite of any problems, while almost half of prospective buyers are being turned away by the problem reports.

A 90% "would buy again" rate is actually pretty impressive for a first year car. Especially if US production can tighten up its spotty QC, Mercedes definitely has a world class, segment leading car here.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by StanNH
So far, about 90% of owners would stick with the W205 in spite of any problems, while almost half of prospective buyers are being turned away by the problem reports.

A 90% "would buy again" rate is actually pretty impressive for a first year car. Especially if US production can tighten up its spotty QC, Mercedes definitely has a world class, segment leading car here.
One third of prospective buyers...
Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 PM

Audi S4
Stuff like the lights and seats if you think about it are minor annoyances. If it were tranny or turbo. Bigget
Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM

15 C300 Sport SOLD!!! :)
I voted no because of my dealer service experience and body shop experience. That is a local market issue for me, I hope. I will go back to BMW or another brand with better service in my local area as soon as I can.

My car is fine.

Last edited by Mikemcn; 01-18-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mihaelb
One third of prospective buyers...
Math was never my strong point.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 PM

MB C400, MB E320, Chevy Avalanche
Yes, would buy again, absoluetly love the vehicle. Just bummed I cant drive it as much since I got it for the Wifey... stuck with the '02 Chevy.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 AM

2015 C300 Luxury
Honestly, I would probably have just gotten an E class for the same price.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM

2015 C400
I have about 3000 mi on my C400. It's a 4matic with tons of options (thankfully, including leather), built in US. The only issues I have had so far is the FOB lockout a couple of times, and two times the car started bleeping, I think it was the blind spot warning, but it stopped before I could figure why it was doing it. Both times I was on a two-lane road with nothing in the blind spot.

Those are pretty minior squibbles. I come from a sports car background, and this is my first luxury sedan, so I may be easy, but this car is mind boggling. Great performance, both acceleration and handling. Love the S+ mode, turns the car into a beast. Kind of like having Alfred the butler (Eco mode) and batman (S+ mode) in a single person. Throw in paddle shifters, and wow!

The workmanship of the interior is outstanding and makes a lasting impression on everyone who sits in it. I get tons of compliments. I love the european stance of the car. Looks like it wants to hurt you, but will be polite about it.

I feel really good driving in this car, very quiet ride, awesome sound system, lathered in luxury. Seems everywhere I go just can't take long enough to get there. My wife says I have this tiny little smile on my face the whole time I am driving. I am sure she is exagerating....

Yes, I would buy it again.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
The beeping could be the warning that you may be about to hit the car in front of you. I was surprised the first time it beeped.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
As someone pointed out, many of the issues identified are annoying, and some are unsightly, but virtually all are minor.

I had a first-year model MINI Cooper S (new to the US in 2002). It had a handful of mechanical recall issues the first year -- wiring harness, cooling reservoir rupture and others. After the first year, I had 11 years of mostly trouble-free enjoyment.

I know that may be comparing apples to oranges because the MINI was half the price of the C300, but my point is that cars cannot be manufactured in a foolproof way. Particularly, now that they are loaded with electronics and newer technology. So long as MB stands by the product and fixes the glitches, I will be happy.

I really like my C300 and would buy it again.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
I am a harsh critic of the defects coming out of Alabama. Just no excuse for Bleeding seats and misaligned bumpers/tail lights. I don't care if this is a new build. MBUSA needs to get it's stuff together in the QC area. Fast.

Having said that, I expect that these problems have been or are about to be dealt with, so I would buy the car again because aside from these quality control issues, the design and engineering of the W205 is outstanding.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Nice to see owner loyalty. Hope Mercedes is reading some of this stuff too. Alabama has about 7 months to fix this stuff before my C450 is built but if I'm still reading about "issues" come summer time, it won't be a difficult decision to shop elsewhere.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Nice to see owner loyalty. Hope Mercedes is reading some of this stuff too. Alabama has about 7 months to fix this stuff before my C450 is built but if I'm still reading about "issues" come summer time, it won't be a difficult decision to shop elsewhere.

If they ARE listening and doing anything about it, I wish they would communicate. I thought this was a MB sponsored forum. If it is, why aren't they in here talking with us? Seems the best place to start communications since this is where people are complaining most. MB is a lot like Apple in the sense that it is largely brand association. The brand, in this case, is taking some damage that could be easily restored with some simple communications.

Just my two cents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you still buy this car again?